Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: We need more interactive content: we are doing it wrong
Hello Andy,There was a solution involving adding the software to our own platform instead of loading it. It was dismissed by the Wikimedia Foundation. It's not disappointment the word I'm looking for.
Best
Galder
2024(e)ko api. 26(a) 21:38 erabiltzaileak hau idatzi du (acooper@wikimedia.org):

Hello everyone,

I’m Andy Cooper, the Director of Security at the Wikimedia Foundation. Over the past week, teams within the Wikimedia Foundation have met to discuss the potential legal, security, and privacy risks from the OWID gadget introduced on this thread. We’re still looking into the risks that this particular gadget presents, but have identified that it raises larger and more definite concerns around gadgets that use third party websites more broadly, such as in a worst case scenario theft or misuse of user’s personal identity and edit history. This, in turn, raises further questions and how we should govern and manage this type of content as a movement.

As a result, we’re asking volunteers to hold off on enabling the OWID gadget on more wikis and to refrain from deploying more gadgets that use third party content and/or are automatically enabled for all users for certain pages until we have a better review process in place. I realize that this is frustrating for people here who have been working on OWID and are excited about it as a work around while graphs are disabled. The creativity and effort of volunteer developers has been and continues to be crucial for our movement’s success, and part of our team’s job is to make sure that happens in scalable and responsible ways. We wanted to let everyone here know about these concerns right away while we work to better understand the issue. If you’d like to be further involved in this topic, please visit the new Meta-Wiki page [1] where we’ll share updates, questions, and discuss next steps.

Thanks,
Andy

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OWID_Gadget