CBC getting rid of physical archives(but not digitising all of them)
"The CBC is getting rid of its physical music collections in Vancouver and other sites across the country, a treasure
trove of over 100,000 artifacts amassed over decades. Valuable, rare and historic recordings on vinyl and tape will be
destroyed or dispersed, lost to all of us forever. "

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-cbc-music-archives

Is this accurate news? If so, can we (eg: commons/wikisource) help?

sincerely,
Kim Bruning

Re: CBC getting rid of physical archives(but not digitising all of them) [ In reply to ]
On 14 March 2012 17:54, Kim Bruning <kim@bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> "The CBC is getting rid of its physical music collections in Vancouver and other sites across the country, a treasure
> trove of over 100,000 artifacts amassed over decades. Valuable, rare and historic recordings on vinyl and tape will be
> destroyed or dispersed, lost to all of us forever. "
>
> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-cbc-music-archives
>
> Is this accurate news? If so, can we (eg: commons/wikisource) help?

Wow, if only there were another public service broadcaster who
stupidly decided to chuck away their physical archives for cost
reasons and then rapidly came to regret it afterwards.

What's that broadcaster called? I'm pretty sure the name only had a
Levenshtein distance of 1 from 'CBC'.

Oh yeah, the BBC.

That's the BBC of "wiping Doctor Who episodes to reuse tape" fame. The
BBC recorded film of Winston Churchill speaking, and it was only
recovered because a secretary from Conservative Central Office managed
to get a copy of it and hid it in her flat.

Who are now taking part in a very sophisticated digital archiving process:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Archives

If the CBC were to follow the BBC's folly, that would be tragic and
utterly stupid.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: CBC getting rid of physical archives(but not digitising all of them) [ In reply to ]
on 3/14/12 1:54 PM, Kim Bruning at kim@bruning.xs4all.nl wrote:

> "The CBC is getting rid of its physical music collections in Vancouver and
> other sites across the country, a treasure
> trove of over 100,000 artifacts amassed over decades. Valuable, rare and
> historic recordings on vinyl and tape will be
> destroyed or dispersed, lost to all of us forever. "
>
> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-cbc-music-archives
>
> Is this accurate news? If so, can we (eg: commons/wikisource) help?
>
> sincerely,
> Kim Bruning

Kim,

I just found this:

http://calgary.openfile.ca/blog/curator-blog/curated-news/2012/calgary-music
-store-buys-entire-music-archive-cbc-calgary

Marc

Re: CBC getting rid of physical archives(but not digitising all of them) [ In reply to ]
On 14 March 2012 19:27, Tom Morris <tom@tommorris.org> wrote:
> Wow, if only there were another public service broadcaster who
> stupidly decided to chuck away their physical archives for cost
> reasons and then rapidly came to regret it afterwards.
>
> What's that broadcaster called? I'm pretty sure the name only had a
> Levenshtein distance of 1 from 'CBC'.
>
> Oh yeah, the BBC.

In fairness they were in a slightly different legal situation and
technological level.

> That's the BBC of "wiping Doctor Who episodes to reuse tape" fame.

Ah you've not had dealings with the hardcore of the Dr Who fans. I
understand that claim is considered questionable.

> If the CBC were to follow the BBC's folly, that would be tragic and
> utterly stupid.

Different situations. The BBC's stuff was its in house productions.
Going by the description on the petition most of the CBC stuff is
stuff from third parties that can at a pinch be purchases on the open
market.

--
geni