Mailing List Archive

Connection Refused - 10061 - Can anyone provide additional help?
Hello All -

I apologize in advance for bothering everyone if this
is an easy fix. I've spent the last two days
searching the mail archives, and unfortunately, can
still no get the free RealVNC 4.1.1 version to work.
My setup consists of:

Desktop to act as server, Windows XP Home
Laptop to act as viewer, Windows XP Pro

I have done the following:
Opened up port 5900 on both machines
Forwarded port 5900 to the desktop/server
Turned off XP Firewall

-I can ping the server, and get replies without issue
-I canNOT telnet to the server

I have tried different ports, etc., with no luck. Can
anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!
Travis

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
Re: Connection Refused - 10061 - Can anyone provide additional help? [ In reply to ]
> I apologize in advance for bothering everyone if this
> is an easy fix. I've spent the last two days
> searching the mail archives, and unfortunately, can
> still no get the free RealVNC 4.1.1 version to work.
> My setup consists of:
>
> Desktop to act as server, Windows XP Home
> Laptop to act as viewer, Windows XP Pro
>
> I have done the following:
> Opened up port 5900 on both machines
> Forwarded port 5900 to the desktop/server
> Turned off XP Firewall
>
> -I can ping the server, and get replies without issue
> -I canNOT telnet to the server
>
> I have tried different ports, etc., with no luck. Can
> anyone offer any advice?

A)
On the server, you have to enable the service.
Usually it's done during install if you just agree to it, or else you can do
it manually from the start menu>programs>*vnc>..., or you can do it from
control-panel>administrative tools>services>... and either start it
manually, and/or also set it to start automatically at boot.

When you think you should have the service running on the server, do this to
see if it really is:
1) in a command prompt window (start>run>cmd), type:
netstat -an |more

one of the lines should say:
TCP 0.0.0.0:5900 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

do not try to test the connection by using vncviewer to connect to localhost
or 127.0.0.1, it may be difficult to close the viewer or use your pc for
anything once you do that. :)

B)
on the client, use vncviewer and put in the public IP of the servers router
just by itself, don't worry about the :displaynumber or :tcpport
don't include a : at all in this case.

If you want to test basic connectivity with telnet, XP home doesn't have a
telnet server you can enable on the server.
you can do "telnet address 5900" from the client but all you should see is
"RFB 003.003" (or some other number, this was tightvnc-1.2.9 server)
If that works, hit enter a bunch of times and the telnet will close, then
try vncviewer to the same IP and like I said, in this case don't use any
":nnn" in the vncviewer connect dialog, just put the ip itself.

You shouldn't need to do much special on the client side. You don't need to
port-forward port 5900 from the clients routers public ip in to the clients
lan ip for instance. You just need to not be going out of your way to block
it. Disabling windows firewall and any other personal firewall like mcafee
or norton or zonealarm (leave the antivirus on of course, just ditch the
"internet security") on both machines should do it.

filePro BBx Linux SCO Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD #callahans Satriani
RE: Connection Refused - 10061 - Can anyone provide additional help? [ In reply to ]
the connection refused message tells me that:

1.) there is no firewall blocking port 5900, a firewall would silently
drop the packets.

2.) the VNC server is not listening, most likely not started.

another possibility comes up if your host is behind a NAT router. while
technically not a firewall, a pure NAT router will refuse connections on
nearly all if not all ports unless specifically configured to forward
said ports. this is unlikely as most home/office NAT routers are
considered firewall/routers and will usually silently drop anything not
configured to be forwarded or specifically requested by a client on the
internal network.