--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Director of Technology
Phone: 813-579-3200
Fax: 813-882-0209
Email: steve.clark@netwolves.com
http://www.netwolves.com
Re: alternative to EIGRP [ In reply to ]
Hi Steve,
What do you mean by alternative? There's a number of protocols supported
by quagga, but protocol choice mostly depends on your network
architecture. Virtually any of them can be used in conjunction with DMVPN.
As of me, I don't see any valid reason to use EIGRP since it creates
unnecessary vendor lock-in as it's not supported by anyone but Cisco.
There were some experimental linux implementations AFAIR, but they are
neither actively developed nor production ready. In most cases you can
achieve the same functionality with link-state protocols like OSPF which
is supported by quagga. Except unequal cost multipath which is not
recommended even by Cisco.

Re: alternative to EIGRP [ In reply to ]
On 30/03/2012 13:28, Steve Clark wrote:
> This is indirectly a quagga question so bear with me please.
> We have a new network architect who "bleeds cisco" he is trying to shutout
> our home grown linux network appliance. He says we need to use DMVPN and
> EIGRP. There is a linux implementation of DMVPN but not EIGRP. What would be
> an acceptable alternative available in linux to EIGRP.

OSPF. DMVPN is not dependent on EIGRP either - I use OSPF on my DMVPN
implementations.

EIGRP is fine until the day you want to run equipment which isn't Cisco.
This is the main reason that virtually no-one in the service provider world
ever uses it.

Nick