Mailing List Archive

Slightly OT: Hdhomerun recordings fail if internet's down?
We had some internet outages this morning and I noticed my MythTV
recordings failed. Any idea why the Homerun needs internet to function if
I'm using MythTV? I understand their app needs the net for EPG, but MythTV
is self-contained. Sorta defeats using OTA in weather emergencies.
Re: Slightly OT: Hdhomerun recordings fail if internet's down? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 5:39?PM Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:

> We had some internet outages this morning and I noticed my MythTV recordings failed. Any idea why the Homerun needs internet to function if I'm using MythTV? I understand their app needs the net for EPG, but MythTV is self-contained. Sorta defeats using OTA in weather emergencies.

The HDHR itself does not, but if your
router/gateway goes down (and some
will reboot if the Internet is down,
especially "combo" devices), and is
providing DHCP addresses for your
internal network one/more of those
internal devices may have lost it's
IP address, and you may be depending
on having a valid IP address for
accessing the device(s) (the HDHR's
can also use link-local addressing,
but you typically need to perform
special configuration on your server
to support that).

You should be able to look at the
HDHR logs (via it's web page) to
see what it thought at the time
(presuming you have not rebooted
the HDHR).
Re: Slightly OT: Hdhomerun recordings fail if internet's down? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024, 2:00?p.m. Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 5:39?PM Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We had some internet outages this morning and I noticed my MythTV
> recordings failed. Any idea why the Homerun needs internet to function if
> I'm using MythTV? I understand their app needs the net for EPG, but MythTV
> is self-contained. Sorta defeats using OTA in weather emergencies.
>
> The HDHR itself does not, but if your
> router/gateway goes down (and some
> will reboot if the Internet is down,
> especially "combo" devices), and is
> providing DHCP addresses for your
> internal network one/more of those
> internal devices may have lost it's
> IP address, and you may be depending
> on having a valid IP address for
> accessing the device(s) (the HDHR's
> can also use link-local addressing,
> but you typically need to perform
> special configuration on your server
> to support that).
>
> You should be able to look at the
> HDHR logs (via it's web page) to
> see what it thought at the time
> (presuming you have not rebooted
> the HDHR).

Thanks for the info. Yes, in my temporary setup I'm unfortunately using the
ISP's combo router/switch/AP.

Looking at the logs on the HDHomerun, I do see a lot of "network link down"
messages around the time of the outage.

Re: Slightly OT: Hdhomerun recordings fail if internet's down? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 15:37:50 -0400, you wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 29, 2024, 2:00?p.m. Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 5:39?PM Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > We had some internet outages this morning and I noticed my MythTV
>> recordings failed. Any idea why the Homerun needs internet to function if
>> I'm using MythTV? I understand their app needs the net for EPG, but MythTV
>> is self-contained. Sorta defeats using OTA in weather emergencies.
>>
>> The HDHR itself does not, but if your
>> router/gateway goes down (and some
>> will reboot if the Internet is down,
>> especially "combo" devices), and is
>> providing DHCP addresses for your
>> internal network one/more of those
>> internal devices may have lost it's
>> IP address, and you may be depending
>> on having a valid IP address for
>> accessing the device(s) (the HDHR's
>> can also use link-local addressing,
>> but you typically need to perform
>> special configuration on your server
>> to support that).
>>
>> You should be able to look at the
>> HDHR logs (via it's web page) to
>> see what it thought at the time
>> (presuming you have not rebooted
>> the HDHR).
>>

>Thanks for the info. Yes, in my temporary setup I'm unfortunately using the
>ISP's combo router/switch/AP.
>
>Looking at the logs on the HDHomerun, I do see a lot of "network link down"
>messages around the time of the outage.

I hate that people can be so silly designing routers. The switch part
of a router should never be affected by the WAN being down. So the
solution here would be to use a separate simple switch with only a
single connection from it to the LAN ports on the router. Or get a
really good switch that does full VLANs and IGMP and can run multiple
subnets for you if you need that. I run my network with three
subnets: Inner (which is the main subnet with all the devices that are
trusted), Outer (for guests) and IoT (for all the untrusted devices,
which are not allowed to even talk to each other, let alone the other
subnets). All three subnets have separate WiFi SSIDs to keep them
separate there also.
Re: Slightly OT: Hdhomerun recordings fail if internet's down? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 8:42?PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> {snip}
> I hate that people can be so silly designing routers. The switch part
> of a router should never be affected by the WAN being down. So the
> solution here would be to use a separate simple switch with only a
> single connection from it to the LAN ports on the router. Or get a
> really good switch that does full VLANs and IGMP and can run multiple
> subnets for you if you need that. I run my network with three
> subnets: Inner (which is the main subnet with all the devices that are
> trusted), Outer (for guests) and IoT (for all the untrusted devices,
> which are not allowed to even talk to each other, let alone the other
> subnets). All three subnets have separate WiFi SSIDs to keep them
> separate there also.

I totally agree. Thankfully this is just a temp setup while I'm away
working but will be ditching the all-in-one router setup when I get back
home.