Mailing List Archive

Re: [META] please start To: with gnupg-users@gnupg.org, i.e.:
> ----- Message from Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> on Mon, 30 Jan 2012
> 06:27:41 -0500 -----
> Unfortunately, eliminating dupes, aka "CC'd" mail is not that easy.

I believe Doug's reference to MAILMAN settings is suggesting that you log
into the mailing list manager
(http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/options/gnupg-users) Once you get in and
edit your settings, the last setting is titled "Avoid duplicate copies of
messages?" If you change this setting to "Yes", the list won't send you a
copy of messages to which you are explicitly addressed ("To:" or "CC:").
Re: [META] please start To: with gnupg-users@gnupg.org, i.e.: [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:41:19AM -0500, MichaelQuigley@TheWay.Org wrote:
> I believe Doug's reference to MAILMAN settings is suggesting that you log
> into the mailing list manager
> (http://lists.gnupg.org/mailman/options/gnupg-users) Once you get in and
> edit your settings, the last setting is titled "Avoid duplicate copies of
> messages?" If you change this setting to "Yes", the list won't send you a
> copy of messages to which you are explicitly addressed ("To:" or "CC:").

The problem is that unlike regular list messages, the dupes don't come
with the list headers, which makes sorting them based on the list
headers problematic.

Hi

On Monday 30 January 2012 at 7:06:43 PM, in
<mid:20120130190643.GB184889@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx>, brian m.
carlson wrote:

> The problem is that unlike regular list messages, the
> dupes don't come with the list headers, which makes
> sorting them based on the list headers problematic.

The group's email address gnupg-users@gnupg.org usually appears in the
To: or CC: field of the duplicate message. Why not filter/sort on
that and catch most of them?

- --

Best regards

MFPA mailto:expires2012@rocketmail.com

Dreams come true on this side of the Rainbow too!

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:23:25PM +0000, MFPA wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2012 at 7:06:43 PM, in
> <mid:20120130190643.GB184889@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx>, brian m.
> carlson wrote:
> > The problem is that unlike regular list messages, the
> > dupes don't come with the list headers, which makes
> > sorting them based on the list headers problematic.
>
> The group's email address gnupg-users@gnupg.org usually appears in the
> To: or CC: field of the duplicate message. Why not filter/sort on
> that and catch most of them?

Because that means that instead of using one procmail rule to autosort
all mailing lists I have to write one for every list I might subscribe
to. This is error-prone and defeats the purpose of using a generic tool
to do repetitive tasks easily. Most mailing lists have a List-ID header
for this purpose. Majordomo lists use a different convention which is
also easily sorted on.

Also, when I'm subscribed to a mailing list, I expect people to post
their replies to the list unless there's a personal reply that is not
appropriate for the list. For lists that require subscriptions, that
means that it's guaranteed that everybody will get a copy, which is the
point of a mailing list. Why intentionally send me an extra? Who wants
two copies of an email?