Mailing List Archive

Parthian shot
I'm about to have my bandwidth for zope.org squeezed flatter than a
year-old toothpaste tube, so I won't be able to hang around for the kind
of flamewar^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdiscussion which seems to
erupt^H^H^H^H^Hfollow suggestions. Nonetheless, here are a couple:

- Move the "News" bit into prominence (the center content well),
including lead graph. The news is the most "time critical" and
interesting content on the front page; it deserves the focus.

- Move the training announcements out to the sidebar into an
"Events" box (under "Products"). Include conferences, etc.
of more than purely local interest (i.e., not monthly ZUG
meetings, but stuff like the Plone Conference, OSCON / OSCOM,
sprints, PyCon, etc.). Remove the items promptly after their
event dates.

- Leave Zope Exits alone until we can write a policy which achieves
*consensus* among the active maintainers, rather than simple
majority (in political terms, caucus rather than vote).

Please accept my gratitude for y'all's willingness to labor here for the
community's good.

Tres.
Re: Parthian shot [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:41:41AM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> I'm about to have my bandwidth for zope.org squeezed flatter than a
> year-old toothpaste tube, so I won't be able to hang around for the kind
> of flamewar^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdiscussion which seems to
> erupt^H^H^H^H^Hfollow suggestions. Nonetheless, here are a couple:
>
> - Move the "News" bit into prominence (the center content well),
> including lead graph. The news is the most "time critical" and
> interesting content on the front page; it deserves the focus.

+0. I kinda like where it is right now - top right sidebar.

> - Move the training announcements out to the sidebar into an
> "Events" box (under "Products"). Include conferences, etc.
> of more than purely local interest (i.e., not monthly ZUG
> meetings, but stuff like the Plone Conference, OSCON / OSCOM,
> sprints, PyCon, etc.). Remove the items promptly after their
> event dates.

+1. Only problem might be determining what is "purely local."

> - Leave Zope Exits alone until we can write a policy which achieves
> *consensus* among the active maintainers, rather than simple
> majority (in political terms, caucus rather than vote).

+1.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com
Re: Parthian shot [ In reply to ]
Tres Seaver wrote:
> - Move the "News" bit into prominence (the center content well),
> including lead graph. The news is the most "time critical" and
> interesting content on the front page; it deserves the focus.

Top right is pretty high profile, works for me...

> - Move the training announcements out to the sidebar into an
> "Events" box (under "Products"). Include conferences, etc.
> of more than purely local interest (i.e., not monthly ZUG
> meetings, but stuff like the Plone Conference, OSCON / OSCOM,
> sprints, PyCon, etc.). Remove the items promptly after their
> event dates.

I like it :-)

> - Leave Zope Exits alone until we can write a policy which achieves
> *consensus* among the active maintainers, rather than simple
> majority (in political terms, caucus rather than vote).

This is what I'm after, but see the other things I'm stressing:

1. Good navigation

2. Impartiality

3. Ease of maintenence

cheers,