D- 40217
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
On Mar 20, 2012, at 16:14 , Charlie Clark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally landed my update step for syndication during the PyCon sprints! I thought I had a few more browser views to update to using the EditSettingsForm but on a quick check of the files it seems that this has already been done. Yuppie, I remember that you have commented out some of my views (portal configuration and membership, I think) because of the encoding problem, did you correct them yourself last year and I was simply looking at old source? If that is the case then I think we're good to go with 2.3.

If there are no objections I could run through the packages and create 2.3.0 betas later this week or this coming weekend.

jens

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 21.03.2012, 00:36 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver <tseaver@palladion.com>:

> Sounds good. We should review the code for any stuff
> deprecated-and-promised-to-be-remove-in-2.3 before releasing a beta.

I suppose we could also migrate the old Zope Help docs to "docs" for
Sphinx generation? I know much of the docs are inaccurate and outdated but
this might help expose the worst bits which should then be exorcised or at
least pruned.

Not sure if this would be for 2.3 but I think that CMFCalendar should be
rolled into CMFDefault. The main reason being that the default profile for
CMFCalendar uses browser views and explicitly requires the CMFDefault skin
layer. You then can't use CMFCalendar if you override the default skin
layer. Plus, CMFCalendar's functionality is extremely limited and
intimately tied to CMFDefault.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
On Mar 21, 2012, at 15:55 , Charlie Clark wrote:

> Am 21.03.2012, 00:36 Uhr, schrieb Tres Seaver <tseaver@palladion.com>:
>
>> Sounds good. We should review the code for any stuff
>> deprecated-and-promised-to-be-remove-in-2.3 before releasing a beta.
>
> I suppose we could also migrate the old Zope Help docs to "docs" for
> Sphinx generation? I know much of the docs are inaccurate and outdated but
> this might help expose the worst bits which should then be exorcised or at
> least pruned.
>
> Not sure if this would be for 2.3 but I think that CMFCalendar should be
> rolled into CMFDefault. The main reason being that the default profile for
> CMFCalendar uses browser views and explicitly requires the CMFDefault skin
> layer. You then can't use CMFCalendar if you override the default skin
> layer. Plus, CMFCalendar's functionality is extremely limited and
> intimately tied to CMFDefault.

If we keep piling up tasks that are too big to be tackled in a small amount of time as part of the release process we'll never get anything released. I would classify both these items as "nice to have, but not on the critical path".

jens

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 21.03.2012, 16:47 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org>:

> If we keep piling up tasks that are too big to be tackled in a small
> amount of time as part of the release process we'll never get anything
> released. I would classify both these items as "nice to have, but not on
> the critical path".

True. I've done a *very* basic port of the docs to ReST so that Sphinx
will at least generate stuff. This has been done by copying the exiting
STX files and renaming them. Should they be moved instead to preserve the
history?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
On Mar 20, 2012, at 23:25 , Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2012, at 16:14 , Charlie Clark wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I finally landed my update step for syndication during the PyCon sprints! I thought I had a few more browser views to update to using the EditSettingsForm but on a quick check of the files it seems that this has already been done. Yuppie, I remember that you have commented out some of my views (portal configuration and membership, I think) because of the encoding problem, did you correct them yourself last year and I was simply looking at old source? If that is the case then I think we're good to go with 2.3.
>

> If there are no objections I could run through the packages and create 2.3.0 betas later this week or this coming weekend.

The beta eggs are released now.

jens

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 21.03.2012, 22:58 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org>:

> The beta eggs are released now.

Great, thanks!

I'm testing with some existing sites and getting the following error even
before I run the upgrades:

ComponentLookupError: (<InterfaceClass
Products.CMFCore.interfaces._tools.IURLTool>, '')

I'm obviously missing a registration but my site includes Products.CMFCore
package.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Hi!

Charlie Clark wrote:
> I'm testing with some existing sites and getting the following error
> even before I run the upgrades:
>
> ComponentLookupError: (<InterfaceClass
> Products.CMFCore.interfaces._tools.IURLTool>, '')
>
> I'm obviously missing a registration but my site includes
> Products.CMFCore package.

The tools are *local* utilities. Including the ZCML doesn't fix this
issue. You have to run the upgrade step.

It should be possible to use the ZMI without this kind of errors. In
some places I added fallbacks like this one:

try:
utool = getUtility(IURLTool)
except ComponentLookupError:
# BBB: fallback for CMF 2.2 instances
utool = aq_get(self, 'portal_url')

If you can't run the upgrades from the ZMI it might be necessary to add
more fallbacks in CMF.

HTH,

Yuppie

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 22.03.2012, 13:28 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2012@wcm-solutions.de>:

> The tools are *local* utilities. Including the ZCML doesn't fix this
> issue. You have to run the upgrade step.
> It should be possible to use the ZMI without this kind of errors. In
> some places I added fallbacks like this one:
> try:
> utool = getUtility(IURLTool)
> except ComponentLookupError:
> # BBB: fallback for CMF 2.2 instances
> utool = aq_get(self, 'portal_url')
> If you can't run the upgrades from the ZMI it might be necessary to add
> more fallbacks in CMF.

Hi Yuppie,

thanks for the quick and informative reply. On both of my test sites I've
not been able to look at the site in the ZMI without getting the errors.
Even running Site/portal_setup fails. FWIW both sites are using the ursa
globals. I can try patching this in the way you suggest and then see how
the upgrade works.

Charlie

PS. I've just run tests on trunk and am getting failures in CMFCore:

Failure in test test_getActionObject_oldskool_action_deprecated
(Products.CMFCore.tests.test_ActionsTool.ActionsToolTests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py",
line 327, in run
testMethod()
File
"/Users/charlieclark/Sites/CMF/src/Products.CMFCore/Products/CMFCore/tests/test_ActionsTool.py",
line 99, in test_getActionObject_oldskool_action_deprecated
'2.4. Use Action and Action Category objects instead.' in warning)
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py",
line 608, in deprecated_func
return original_func(*args, **kwargs)
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py",
line 420, in assertTrue
raise self.failureException(msg)
AssertionError: False is not true

Failure in test test_getDiff
(Products.CMFCore.tests.test_FSPythonScript.CustomizedPythonScriptTests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py",
line 327, in run
testMethod()
File
"/Users/charlieclark/Sites/CMF/src/Products.CMFCore/Products/CMFCore/tests/test_FSPythonScript.py",
line 269, in test_getDiff
self.assertEqual(list(cps.getDiff()), _DIFF_TEXT.splitlines())
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py",
line 509, in assertEqual
assertion_func(first, second, msg=msg)
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py",
line 738, in assertListEqual
self.assertSequenceEqual(list1, list2, msg, seq_type=list)
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py",
line 720, in assertSequenceEqual
self.fail(msg)
File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/unittest/case.py",
line 408, in fail
raise self.failureException(msg)
AssertionError: Lists differ: [.'--- original', '+++ modified... != [.'---
original ', '+++ modifie...

First differing element 0:
--- original
--- original

- [.'--- original',
+ [.'--- original ',
? +

- '+++ modified',
+ '+++ modified ',
? +

'@@ -7,4 +7,4 @@',
' ##parameters=',
' ##title=',
' ##',
"-return 'cps'",
"+return 'cps -- replaced'"]

Ran 219 tests with 2 failures and 0 errors in 3.376 seconds.
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
On Mar 22, 2012, at 13:42 , Charlie Clark wrote:

> PS. I've just run tests on trunk and am getting failures in CMFCore:

The tests only fail on Python 2.7, they run through fine on 2.6. As such, they're not functional failures but failures dur to changes in behavior between 2.6 and 2.7. In one place a DeprecationWarning is not written to the log, in another diff output has changed slightly.

jens

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 22.03.2012, 13:42 Uhr, schrieb Charlie Clark
<charlie.clark@clark-consulting.eu>:

> thanks for the quick and informative reply. On both of my test sites
> I've not been able to look at the site in the ZMI without getting the
> errors. Even running Site/portal_setup fails. FWIW both sites are using
> the ursa globals. I can try patching this in the way you suggest and
> then see how the upgrade works.

Fallbacks for ursa.py and DynamicType's getIconURL required but then an
upgrade is possible.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 22.03.2012, 13:46 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org>:

> The tests only fail on Python 2.7, they run through fine on 2.6. As
> such, they're not functional failures but failures dur to changes in
> behavior between 2.6 and 2.7. In one place a DeprecationWarning is not
> written to the log, in another diff output has changed slightly.

Thanks, Jens. I'd forgotten I'd made Python 2.7 my default.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 21.03.2012, 22:58 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org>:

> The beta eggs are released now.

Jens,

could we have a patch release to include my fallbacks? I'd like to be able
to try the beta with a couple of other sites without adding links to trunk
in my buildouts.

Charlie

PS. We should probably try and avoid an April 1st release! ;-)
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
On Mar 31, 2012, at 17:03 , Charlie Clark wrote:

> Am 21.03.2012, 22:58 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org>:
>
>> The beta eggs are released now.
>
> Jens,
>
> could we have a patch release to include my fallbacks? I'd like to be able to try the beta with a couple of other sites without adding links to trunk in my buildouts.

Products.CMFCore and Products.CMFDefault are now released as version 2.3.0-beta2

jens

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Hi Charlie!

Charlie Clark wrote:
> I suppose we could also migrate the old Zope Help docs to "docs" for
> Sphinx generation? I know much of the docs are inaccurate and outdated but
> this might help expose the worst bits which should then be exorcised or at
> least pruned.

+1

Is CMFDefault/help now obsolete? Could it be deleted?

> Not sure if this would be for 2.3 but I think that CMFCalendar should be
> rolled into CMFDefault. The main reason being that the default profile for
> CMFCalendar uses browser views and explicitly requires the CMFDefault skin
> layer. You then can't use CMFCalendar if you override the default skin
> layer. Plus, CMFCalendar's functionality is extremely limited and
> intimately tied to CMFDefault.

-1

CMFCalendar is an example add-on. It should be possible to write add-ons
like CMFCalendar. So if there are any issues with keeping it in a
separate optional package they should be fixed instead of giving up.

Cheers,

Yuppie

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Hi!

Charlie Clark wrote:
> I finally landed my update step for syndication during the PyCon
> sprints! I thought I had a few more browser views to update to using the
> EditSettingsForm but on a quick check of the files it seems that this
> has already been done. Yuppie, I remember that you have commented out
> some of my views (portal configuration and membership, I think) because
> of the encoding problem, did you correct them yourself last year and I
> was simply looking at old source?

Working on my tool and member data changes I touched some of your forms.
Maybe I fixed all the known issues. But I didn't review all new forms
systematically.

> If that is the case then I think we're good to go with 2.3.

No objections. Today I finished the cleanups I wanted to make before new
branches are created.

Cheers,

Yuppie

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Hi Yuppie,

Am 03.04.2012, 14:11 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2012@wcm-solutions.de>:

> +1
> Is CMFDefault/help now obsolete? Could it be deleted?

I guess so. I'm still working on "tidying" up what can loosely be termed
as the narrative documentation. Still in the clean-up phase but should get
this done this week.

@ Jens will we be able to point the release to a docs page on Zope.org?

I had a go at autogenerating the api documentation but failed miserably -
lots of empty pages got generated because Sphinx had trouble with import
paths. Does anyone know the appropriate incantations for this?

> Not sure if this would be for 2.3 but I think that CMFCalendar should be
> rolled into CMFDefault. The main reason being that the default profile
> for
> CMFCalendar uses browser views and explicitly requires the CMFDefault
> skin
> layer. You then can't use CMFCalendar if you override the default skin
> layer. Plus, CMFCalendar's functionality is extremely limited and
> intimately tied to CMFDefault.

> -1
> CMFCalendar is an example add-on. It should be possible to write
> add-ons like CMFCalendar. So if there are any issues with keeping it in
> a separate optional package they should be fixed instead of giving up.

Okay. I guess the key issue is making working with Zope-3 skins easier.
I'd like to have a different CMFDefault profile that did without CMF skins
(yes, I do appreciate the irony), ie. the ability to jetison PythonScripts
et al. CMFCalendar won't work with that because of the explicit dependency
upon the CMF skin layer. Certainly a big enough change not to be in 2.3.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Hi Charlie,

*If* there's a working Sphinx documentation set under Products.CMFXXX/doc or Products.CMFXXX/docs I can stitch it into the autogenerated documentation at docs.zope.org.

> I had a go at autogenerating the api documentation but failed miserably - lots of empty pages got generated because Sphinx had trouble with import paths. Does anyone know the appropriate incantations for this?

I can take a look over the next few days.

jens

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
On Apr 3, 2012, at 14:55 , Charlie Clark wrote:
> I had a go at autogenerating the api documentation but failed miserably - lots of empty pages got generated because Sphinx had trouble with import paths. Does anyone know the appropriate incantations for this?

I have fixed it by creating a small buildout configuration at the root of the package that will create a working sphinx-build script under bin/ with all the dependencies set up, and by replacing all faulty module references to "CMFDefault" with "Products.CMFDefault".

I also cleaned up many Sphinx complaints about bad formatting.

jens

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Hi Jens,

Am 04.04.2012, 11:17 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org>:

> I have fixed it by creating a small buildout configuration at the root
> of the package that will create a working sphinx-build script under bin/
> with all the dependencies set up, and by replacing all faulty module
> references to "CMFDefault" with "Products.CMFDefault".

At the risk of looking like Baldrick: which configuration are you
referring to? CMFDefault's own buildout or the top-level one? I see the
CMF buildout has gained the sphinx-quickstart command but I haven't quite
worked out how to get this to run using my local files.

"""
fuchsia:CMF charlieclark$ bin/sphinx-build src/Products.CMFDefault/docs tmp
Running Sphinx v1.1.2

Exception occurred:
File
"/Users/charlieclark/Sites/CMF/src/Products.CMFDefault/docs/conf.py", line
16, in <module>
import pkginfo
ImportError: No module named pkginfo
"""

sphinx-build no longer works. Or should I be working from CMFDefault
checkout and building from there?

> I also cleaned up many Sphinx complaints about bad formatting.

Thanks. I'm still working on fixing up the intra-document references and
footnotes which I want to be able to build before checking in.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 04.04.2012, 17:45 Uhr, schrieb Charlie Clark
<charlie.clark@clark-consulting.eu>:

> At the risk of looking like Baldrick: which configuration are you
> referring to? CMFDefault's own buildout or the top-level one? I see the
> CMF buildout has gained the sphinx-quickstart command but I haven't
> quite worked out how to get this to run using my local files.

Sometimes it just helps to ask the dumb questions out loud...

docs support has been added to the Products.CMFDefault *package*. The key
was in that word, Charlie. :o api-doc stuff looks pretty reasonable but
needs some trimming: all sub-folders including tests are treated as
packages which doesn't make a great deal of sense from the point of
documenting the API.

> """
> fuchsia:CMF charlieclark$ bin/sphinx-build src/Products.CMFDefault/docs
> tmp
> Running Sphinx v1.1.2
> Exception occurred:
> File
> "/Users/charlieclark/Sites/CMF/src/Products.CMFDefault/docs/conf.py",
> line 16, in <module>
> import pkginfo
> ImportError: No module named pkginfo
> """
> sphinx-build no longer works. Or should I be working from CMFDefault
> checkout and building from there?

See above. Should probably check why documents now can't be generated from
the top-level of the project, although package level is probably saner.

> I also cleaned up many Sphinx complaints about bad formatting.
> Thanks. I'm still working on fixing up the intra-document references
> and footnotes which I want to be able to build before checking in.

I can, of course, now do this! Time to review the Sphinx documentation to
reduce my error rate!

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
On Apr 4, 2012, at 19:54 , Charlie Clark wrote:
>> """
>> fuchsia:CMF charlieclark$ bin/sphinx-build src/Products.CMFDefault/docs tmp
>> Running Sphinx v1.1.2
>> Exception occurred:
>> File "/Users/charlieclark/Sites/CMF/src/Products.CMFDefault/docs/conf.py", line 16, in <module>
>> import pkginfo
>> ImportError: No module named pkginfo
>> """
>> sphinx-build no longer works. Or should I be working from CMFDefault checkout and building from there?
>
> See above. Should probably check why documents now can't be generated from the top-level of the project, although package level is probably saner.

This is now fixed. The top-level (CMF package) buildout did not know about the documentation dependency on "pkginfo", only the buildout inside the Products.CMFDefault package did.

jens

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
Am 04.04.2012, 23:33 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org>:

> This is now fixed. The top-level (CMF package) buildout did not know
> about the documentation dependency on "pkginfo", only the buildout
> inside the Products.CMFDefault package did.

Thanks very much Jens. I've added DCWorkflow except for the fact I can't
get the api-doc to work properly. I've basically copied what you did for
CMFDefault so added a bootstrap for doc generation but I'm still getting
import errors.

I'm using the "CMF-level" api-doc to generate the ReST files.

fuchsia:Products.DCWorkflow charlieclark$ bin/sphinx-build docs tmp
Running Sphinx v1.1.3
No builder selected, using default: html
building [html]: targets for 0 source files that are out of date
updating environment: 0 added, 2 changed, 1 removed
Traceback (most recent call last):rkflow
File
"/Users/charlieclark/Sites/CMF/src/Products.DCWorkflow/eggs/Sphinx-1.1.3-py2.6.egg/sphinx/ext/autodoc.py",
line 321, in import_object
__import__(self.modname)

I'm using the "CMF-level" api-doc to generate the ReST files. <- I suspect
this may be where I'm going wrong but I couldn't see anything in the
conf.py or Makefile that looked liked it would work the proper magic.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Re: 2.3 [ In reply to ]
On Apr 5, 2012, at 17:08 , Charlie Clark wrote:

> fuchsia:Products.DCWorkflow charlieclark$ bin/sphinx-build docs tmp
> Running Sphinx v1.1.3
> No builder selected, using default: html
> building [html]: targets for 0 source files that are out of date
> updating environment: 0 added, 2 changed, 1 removed
> Traceback (most recent call last):rkflow
> File "/Users/charlieclark/Sites/CMF/src/Products.DCWorkflow/eggs/Sphinx-1.1.3-py2.6.egg/sphinx/ext/autodoc.py", line 321, in import_object
> __import__(self.modname)
>
> I'm using the "CMF-level" api-doc to generate the ReST files. <- I suspect this may be where I'm going wrong but I couldn't see anything in the conf.py or Makefile that looked liked it would work the proper magic.

H Charlie,

Before going any further, please stop that usage pattern. The correct way to build those Sphinx docs is:

- cd into the docs folder
- make sure the sphinx-build script you want to use, which can be either the one inside Products.DCWorkflow or at the toplevel "CMF" package, is in the path and then run "make html":

$ cd docs/
$ PATH="../bin:$PATH" make html

I have a feeling with the way you are doing it you put output and Sphinx build state files for different Sphinx buildouts in one and the same place, which will not work.

jens