Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: gaming on multiple OS of the same machine? [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Peter Vandendriessche <
peter.vandendriessche@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Andrew Bobulsky <rulerof@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If you're still only in these
>> conceptual stages of your build, I may have some suggestions for you
>> if you like.
>>

> I am still in the conceptual stage, and I'm very much willing to listen.

Could you tell me your hardware suggestions then?

Best regards,
Peter
Re: gaming on multiple OS of the same machine? [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

I just thought of an additional issue when it comes to gaming, or even
common user usage in general: sound.
Is it possible to connect multiple headsets and microphones? How should one
do this?

Best regards,
Peter
Re: gaming on multiple OS of the same machine? [ In reply to ]
Your best bet would be using the passed through graphics cards for sound
output.

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Peter Vandendriessche <

Re: gaming on multiple OS of the same machine? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:11 AM, John Sherwood <jrs@vt.edu> wrote:

> Your best bet would be using the passed through graphics cards for sound
> output.

And sound input?
Re: gaming on multiple OS of the same machine? [ In reply to ]
I think you'd have to go with USB, with something like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812778002

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Peter Vandendriessche <

Re: gaming on multiple OS of the same machine? [ In reply to ]
Hello Peter,

I'll give a more detailed hardware list tomorrow when im on my desktop, but
for audio, I've used this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0027EMHM6/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_su_dp

Super cheap, but apparently USB audio is pretty easy to come by :)

On May 19, 2012, at 11:14 PM, Peter Vandendriessche <
peter.vandendriessche@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:11 AM, John Sherwood <jrs@vt.edu> wrote:

> Your best bet would be using the passed through graphics cards for sound
> output.

And sound input?
Re: gaming on multiple OS of the same machine? [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Andrew Bobulsky <rulerof@gmail.com> wrote:

> With that in mind, I'm going to suggest below a
> modified (from my setup) AMD-based build containing a board/CPU that I
> have tested and can confirm works with PCIe passthrough on Xen.... but
> not with 4 video cards.

Not tested with 4 video cards, or not working with 4 video cards? If not
working, what exactly makes it fail? From the pic I would deduce that you
are doing a full 4-machine setup...

I *would* suggest the board that I currently use (the MSI
> 890FXA-GD70), it required a BIOS downgrade for me to get IOMMU to
> work... which would probably break compatibility with the CPU I'm
> going to suggest. Perhaps that's been fixed in the year since I
> discovered the problem, but I have no idea :P

That's a pity... what CPU have you put in it to make it work then?

> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 (
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508 )

This is not the same one as the 890FXA-GD70 you suggested earlier. Is there
a reason to prefer either one? And is this one compatible with said CPU
without BIOS upgrade?

I'm not too sure if I missed anything... it's taken a while to write
> this, but I'm hoping it's pretty comprehensive!

It's wonderful. You're an angel! :)

Best regards,
Peter
Re: gaming on multiple OS of the same machine? [ In reply to ]
Hello again,

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Peter Vandendriessche
<peter.vandendriessche@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Andrew Bobulsky <rulerof@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> With that in mind, I'm going to suggest below a
>> modified (from my setup) AMD-based build containing a board/CPU that I
>> have tested and can confirm works with PCIe passthrough on Xen.... but
>> not with 4 video cards.
>

> Not tested with 4 video cards, or not working with 4 video cards? If not
> working, what exactly makes it fail? From the pic I would deduce that you
> are doing a full 4-machine setup...

Heh, shoulda been more specific: Gigabyte board, I've not /tested/
with 4 video cards. There's no reason that it shouldn't work just
fine though. MSI Board tested and working fine with 4 video cards.

(Also: As the picture implies, my setup is a fully-working four-headed
rig, though I don't operate all four heads simultaneously right now
because I simply don't need the fourth seat, and because I don't feel
that I have enough CPU horsepower for it. Keep reading for more on
that. Academically speaking, the point is that it works!)

>> I *would* suggest the board that I currently use (the MSI
>> 890FXA-GD70), it required a BIOS downgrade for me to get IOMMU to
>> work... which would probably break compatibility with the CPU I'm
>> going to suggest.  Perhaps that's been fixed in the year since I
>> discovered the problem, but I have no idea :P
>

> That's a pity... what CPU have you put in it to make it work then?

I'm running that board with a Phenom II X6 1090T. While I have had
all four guests online at the same time, I haven't run them all with a
full load (i.e. gaming) simultaneously on the 6 core CPU. I moved to
the 6 core because I had the chip available (moved from a different
system) when the 4 core CPU began to struggle once the project
progressed to bringing the third seat online.

It's worth keeping in mind that this project evolved for me over a
very long period of time, and my recommendations are, in some
respects, a "best of" the experiences I've had.

With that in mind....

>> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 (
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508 )
>
> This is not the same one as the 890FXA-GD70 you suggested earlier. Is there
> a reason to prefer either one? And is this one compatible with said CPU
> without BIOS upgrade?

I'm not certain if the 1.8 BIOS on the MSI 890FXA-GD70 will support
the 8-core CPU or not, nor do I know whether or not any BIOS revision
does. If such a BIOS update *does* exist, I don't know whether or not
MSI fixed whatever they did to break IOMMU with BIOS revisions
following v1.8.

The suggestions I've outlined are based on the assumption that an
8-core CPU is non-negotiable as far as hardware goes. On the AMD
side, the choices of available CPU /may/ specifically preclude the MSI
board.

I know for a fact though that the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7, with the
8-core AMD chip in it will boot, and it does support IOMMU. I've got
such a setup sitting on one of my desks, where I'm tinkering with
it... but it belongs to a buddy of mine. If it were mine, I'd
actually be attempting to assemble specifically the hardware setup
I've outlined, as it's technically a superset of what I have
immediately available to me :)

In summary:

I own and have built a four-seat gaming rig on the MSI 890FXA-GD70. I
/do not/ recommend you acquire the same, and instead suggest you build
on the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7, because I know it will support the AMD
8-core CPU in addition to IOMMU, and have tested such.

If you're looking to have more of a guarantee of success by building
your own setup based as closely as possible on the platform I'm
running for my build, I can look into the matter of whether or not
there is a BIOS update for the MSI board that claims to support the
8-core chip, and then can flash that against my hardware and test to
see if IOMMU works properly. I can do that in the coming days.

I really don't want to disassemble two systems to physically test the
chip in the board as well... removing the CPU from that thing is a
nightmare. The PCIe retention clips make it so you have to take all
the cards out in reverse order... then there's the power connectors...
and so on. Really a nightmare. It's worth pointing out that the
Gigabyte board improves somewhat on that with more forgiving retention
clips as far as I can tell, but that's not a criterion for choosing
hardware here ;)

>> I'm not too sure if I missed anything... it's taken a while to write
>> this, but I'm hoping it's pretty comprehensive!
>

> It's wonderful. You're an angel! :)
>

> Best regards,
> Peter

I'm thoroughly excited that someone else is trying to do this. I'll
endeavor to be as helpful as I can! Please feel free to continue with
any questions you may have, and I'll do my best. I should be able to
carry out any testing that may be needed throughout the course of the
week.

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky