Mailing List Archive

XCP graphical display on VM
Hi All,
I plan to use Xen (most probably XCP) to virtualize
two servers: one running OpenBSD, the other running FreeBSD.

These both servers will be running more or less headless (at least
without any graphical environment). I would want
to add a third server (most probably a Debian Squeeze or Freebsd)
to have a desktop (light, probably IceWM or XFCE).

The physical machine will have VTx but not VTd.

Is a such solution possible with Xen ? I don't understand
exactly if it is possible to have one DOMu with the control of
a VGA display (1600x1050 by 16 or 24 colors) or if the control
of VGA display is reserved to the DOM0.

I have read quite a lot of documentation but I can't have a clear
idea on this subject.

Any comment/idea or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Re: XCP graphical display on VM [ In reply to ]
rhino64@postmail.ch wrote:
> Hi All,
> I plan to use Xen (most probably XCP) to virtualize
> two servers: one running OpenBSD, the other running FreeBSD.
>
> These both servers will be running more or less headless (at least
> without any graphical environment). I would want
> to add a third server (most probably a Debian Squeeze or Freebsd)
> to have a desktop (light, probably IceWM or XFCE).
>
> The physical machine will have VTx but not VTd.
>
> Is a such solution possible with Xen ? I don't understand
> exactly if it is possible to have one DOMu with the control of
> a VGA display (1600x1050 by 16 or 24 colors) or if the control
> of VGA display is reserved to the DOM0.

The obvious approach is to run an x-server in Dom0, at which point, with
proper configuration, any of the DomUs can put windows onto the display.

You might also try the following:
- log into Dom0 from your console (presumably the VGA display)
- use "xm console" to log into a DomU
- startx and see if your desktop environment comes up (I expect you'll
get some informative error messages about device mappings, that might
lead you to a configuration that works)
Please report back - my servers are all headless, or I'd try this
myself. You've got me curious.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra