hash over a secure connection. The download is also not available over
httpS...

Please help.

Re: [XCP] Authenticty of XCP installation image. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Michał Karaś <mkosmita@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> How do I verify authenticity and integrity of downloaded XCP installation iso?
> I cannot find any digital signature or any page serving cryptographic
> hash over a secure connection. The download is also not available over
> httpS...

Wow no too paranoid...... md5sum d80538645c4b3c8db8a3ec3e7c2546c2
53341/XCP-1.5-beta-base-53341.iso

Re: [XCP] Authenticty of XCP installation image. [ In reply to ]
Hi.

Thank you for your answer however it is not enough...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5#Security

I believe md5 should not be used any more for security related
purposes. These days computing a sha256 or at least sha1 should be
used. Even sha1 was phased out by US gov in the 2010...

Also plain email or http is not a secure way of communicating hash
because it could easily be altered by malicious routers or ISP...

Solutions to this is either serving the hash over secure connection
like ssl/tls (httpS)
or signing a file cryptographically like using pgp/gnupg.

Thank you for trying to help...