Mailing List Archive

How to install OpenIndiana DomU
Hi,

I would like to install OpenIndiana on domU.
My dom0 is runnning under Debian Squeeze.

Do you have any information about it ? Maybe a config sample ?

Thank you !
Re: How to install OpenIndiana DomU [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Christophe Bailleux
<ch.bailleux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install OpenIndiana on domU.
> My dom0 is runnning under Debian Squeeze.
>
> Do you have any information about it ? Maybe a config sample ?

Funny thing about that. INSTALLING is currently easier than RUNNING it :P

Installing it as HVM domU should be straight forward, so I'm going to
write what I learned installing it as PV domU. You can run Openindiana
(I tested b148) and Solaris 11 Express (I tested 2010.11) Live ISO by
simply using pygrub. The config is something like this (tested on Xen
4.0.1)

#=============================
memory = "1024"
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:C7:E3:7F, bridge=br0, vifname=oi-e0" ]
disk = [
"file:/data/iso/oi.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r",
"phy:/dev/zvol/vm/oi/xvda,xvda,w",
]

vcpus=1
bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
localtime = 1
on_shutdown = "destroy"
on_reboot = "destroy"
#=============================

To make your life easy, use a bridge that has dhcp server on it. If
you have libvirt/virt-manager installed, there should a be a virbr0
that you can use.

Once you got the text console login, you can get X session with vnc
following http://blogs.sun.com/mrj/entry/installing_opensolaris_on
(search for "jack", start from there). If you need root access, you
can use "sudo -s".

After installation completes, now comes the complicated part.
openindiana comes with zfs pool version 28, which seems to be newer
than what pygrub supports. So don't shutdown/reboot yet, cause there's
couple of things you must do first:
- copy the kernel (/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix) and ramdisk
(/platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive) from the installation root
(forgot what the path was on live session, should be easy to find out)
to dom0, using scp/rsync/whatever.
- find out what your "/" dataset is (Try running "zfs list". It should
be "rpool/ROOT/openindiana")
- find out what your domU disk is detected as (Try "format". It should
be "/xpvd/xdf@51712" for xvda).

Then you can shutdown the live session. Create a new config file that
looks something like this

#=============================
memory = "1024"
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:C7:E3:7F, bridge=br0, vifname=oi-e0" ]
disk = [
"phy:/dev/zvol/vm/oi/xvda,xvda,w",
]

vcpus=1
kernel = "/vm/oi/boot/unix"
ramdisk = "/vm/oi/boot/boot_archive"
extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B
zfs-bootfs=rpool/ROOT/openindiana,bootpath='/xpvd/xdf@51712:a'"
localtime = 1
#=============================

The "zfs-bootfs" part points to your "/" dataset, while "bootpath"
points to domU disk's first slice. Note that the end of "extra" line
has both single quote (') and double quote (").

Good luck.

--
Fajar

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users@lists.xensource.com
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Re: How to install OpenIndiana DomU [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@fajar.net> wrote:
> extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B
> zfs-bootfs=rpool/ROOT/openindiana,bootpath='/xpvd/xdf@51712:a'"

Those two should be on one line.

--
Fajar

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users@lists.xensource.com
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Re: How to install OpenIndiana DomU [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your help.

When i try your config file i get this:

pyGRUB version 0.6

│ OpenIndiana Development oi_148 X86
│ Boot from Hard Disk


Error: Boot loader didn't return any data!

What's the problem with the bootlooder ? Any idea ?



On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@fajar.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Christophe Bailleux
> <ch.bailleux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to install OpenIndiana on domU.
> > My dom0 is runnning under Debian Squeeze.
> >
> > Do you have any information about it ? Maybe a config sample ?
>
> Funny thing about that. INSTALLING is currently easier than RUNNING it :P
>
> Installing it as HVM domU should be straight forward, so I'm going to
> write what I learned installing it as PV domU. You can run Openindiana
> (I tested b148) and Solaris 11 Express (I tested 2010.11) Live ISO by
> simply using pygrub. The config is something like this (tested on Xen
> 4.0.1)
>
> #=============================
> memory = "1024"
> vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:C7:E3:7F, bridge=br0, vifname=oi-e0" ]
> disk = [
> "file:/data/iso/oi.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r",
> "phy:/dev/zvol/vm/oi/xvda,xvda,w",
> ]
>
> vcpus=1
> bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
> localtime = 1
> on_shutdown = "destroy"
> on_reboot = "destroy"
> #=============================
>
> To make your life easy, use a bridge that has dhcp server on it. If
> you have libvirt/virt-manager installed, there should a be a virbr0
> that you can use.
>
> Once you got the text console login, you can get X session with vnc
> following http://blogs.sun.com/mrj/entry/installing_opensolaris_on
> (search for "jack", start from there). If you need root access, you
> can use "sudo -s".
>
> After installation completes, now comes the complicated part.
> openindiana comes with zfs pool version 28, which seems to be newer
> than what pygrub supports. So don't shutdown/reboot yet, cause there's
> couple of things you must do first:
> - copy the kernel (/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix) and ramdisk
> (/platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive) from the installation root
> (forgot what the path was on live session, should be easy to find out)
> to dom0, using scp/rsync/whatever.
> - find out what your "/" dataset is (Try running "zfs list". It should
> be "rpool/ROOT/openindiana")
> - find out what your domU disk is detected as (Try "format". It should
> be "/xpvd/xdf@51712" for xvda).
>
> Then you can shutdown the live session. Create a new config file that
> looks something like this
>
> #=============================
> memory = "1024"
> vif = [ "mac=00:16:3E:C7:E3:7F, bridge=br0, vifname=oi-e0" ]
> disk = [
> "phy:/dev/zvol/vm/oi/xvda,xvda,w",
> ]
>
> vcpus=1
> kernel = "/vm/oi/boot/unix"
> ramdisk = "/vm/oi/boot/boot_archive"
> extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B
> zfs-bootfs=rpool/ROOT/openindiana,bootpath='/xpvd/xdf@51712:a'"
> localtime = 1
> #=============================
>
> The "zfs-bootfs" part points to your "/" dataset, while "bootpath"
> points to domU disk's first slice. Note that the end of "extra" line
> has both single quote (') and double quote (").
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Fajar
>
Re: How to install OpenIndiana DomU [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Christophe Bailleux
<ch.bailleux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
>
> When i try your config file i get this:
>
>    pyGRUB  version 0.6
>
>  │ OpenIndiana Development oi_148 X86
>  │ Boot from Hard Disk
>
>
> Error: Boot loader didn't return any data!
>
> What's the problem with the bootlooder ? Any idea ?

Is the ISO listed first? It must, in order for pygrub to pick it up.

You can also test if pygrub can correctly load kernel and ramdisk from
ISO by running something like

pygrub /path/to/your/openindiana.iso

If you see an error, then probably your pygrub version is too old. Try
MRJ's for example on how to use kernel and ramdisk copied manually
from the ISO.

--
Fajar

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users@lists.xensource.com
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Re: How to install OpenIndiana DomU [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I 've tested too and i get the same error.
I'm using the Debian squeeze package : Xen 4.01. So i think my pygrub is
not too old...
I'v copied manually kernel and ramdisk image too but it's not work:

*Using config file "/etc/xen/solaris.cfg".
Error: Boot loader didn't return any data!*

My config:

*vcpus = '1'
memory = '1024'
name = 'solaris'

bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
vif = [ "" ]
disk = [
"file:/var/tmp/osol.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r",
"file:/xen/domains/solaris/disk.img,xvda2,w"
]
kernel = "/solaris/unix"
ramdisk = "/solaris/x86.microroot"
extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix - nowin -B install_media=cdrom"
on_shutdown = "destroy"
on_reboot = "destroy"*


On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@fajar.net> wrote:

>
>
>
> Is the ISO listed first? It must, in order for pygrub to pick it up.
>
> You can also test if pygrub can correctly load kernel and ramdisk from
> ISO by running something like
>
> pygrub /path/to/your/openindiana.iso
>
> If you see an error, then probably your pygrub version is too old. Try
> MRJ's for example on how to use kernel and ramdisk copied manually
> from the ISO.
>
> --
> Fajar
>
Re: How to install OpenIndiana DomU [ In reply to ]
Ok now installation works fine with this config file:

name = 'solaris'
memory = 2048
vcpus = 1
kernel = '/solaris/unix'
ramdisk = '/solaris/boot_archive'
extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B console=ttya"
disk = ['file:/var/tmp/oi.iso,6:cdrom,r',
'file:/xen/domains/open-indiana/disk.img,0,w']
vif = [ 'bridge=br0' ]

The installation is finished. Now i'm testing to run the system ... ^

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Christophe Bailleux
<ch.bailleux@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I 've tested too and i get the same error.
> I'm using the Debian squeeze package : Xen 4.01. So i think my pygrub is
> not too old...
> I'v copied manually kernel and ramdisk image too but it's not work:
>
> *Using config file "/etc/xen/solaris.cfg".
>
> Error: Boot loader didn't return any data!
> *
>
> My config:
>
> *vcpus = '1'
> memory = '1024'
> name = 'solaris'
>
> bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
> vif = [ "" ]
> disk = [
> "file:/var/tmp/osol.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r",
> "file:/xen/domains/solaris/disk.img,xvda2,w"
> ]
> kernel = "/solaris/unix"
> ramdisk = "/solaris/x86.microroot"
> extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix - nowin -B install_media=cdrom"
>
> on_shutdown = "destroy"
> on_reboot = "destroy"
> *
>
>
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@fajar.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> Is the ISO listed first? It must, in order for pygrub to pick it up.
>>
>> You can also test if pygrub can correctly load kernel and ramdisk from
>> ISO by running something like
>>
>> pygrub /path/to/your/openindiana.iso
>>
>> If you see an error, then probably your pygrub version is too old. Try
>> MRJ's for example on how to use kernel and ramdisk copied manually
>> from the ISO.
>>
>> --
>> Fajar
>>
>
>
Re: How to install OpenIndiana DomU [ In reply to ]
Now the system is running.
My config file to run the system

*OpenIndiana Build oi_148 64-bit
SunOS Release 5.11 - Copyright 1983-2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms.*

My config file to run the system:

*name = 'indiana'
memory = 2048
vcpus = 1
kernel = '/solaris/unix'
ramdisk = '/solaris/boot_archive'
extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B
zfs-bootfs=rpool1/ROOT/solaris,bootpath=/xpvd/xdf@51712:a"
disk = ['file:/xen/domains/open-indiana/disk.img,xvda,w']
vif = [ 'bridge=br0' ]*

*In the extra i need to use rpool1 and solaris value*.

My "zfs list" looks like this:

rpool1 4.05G 15.5G 45K /rpool1
rpool1/ROOT 1.98G 15.5G 31K legacy
rpool1/ROOT/solaris 1.98G 15.5G 1.98G /
rpool1/dump 1.00G 15.5G 1.00G -


On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Christophe Bailleux
<ch.bailleux@gmail.com>wrote:

> Ok now installation works fine with this config file:
>
> name = 'solaris'
> memory = 2048
> vcpus = 1
> kernel = '/solaris/unix'
> ramdisk = '/solaris/boot_archive'
> extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix -B console=ttya"
> disk = ['file:/var/tmp/oi.iso,6:cdrom,r',
> 'file:/xen/domains/open-indiana/disk.img,0,w']
> vif = [ 'bridge=br0' ]
>
> The installation is finished. Now i'm testing to run the system ... ^^
>
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Christophe Bailleux <ch.bailleux@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I 've tested too and i get the same error.
>> I'm using the Debian squeeze package : Xen 4.01. So i think my pygrub is
>> not too old...
>> I'v copied manually kernel and ramdisk image too but it's not work:
>>
>> *Using config file "/etc/xen/solaris.cfg".
>>
>> Error: Boot loader didn't return any data!
>> *
>>
>> My config:
>>
>> *vcpus = '1'
>> memory = '1024'
>> name = 'solaris'
>>
>> bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
>> vif = [ "" ]
>> disk = [
>> "file:/var/tmp/osol.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r",
>> "file:/xen/domains/solaris/disk.img,xvda2,w"
>> ]
>> kernel = "/solaris/unix"
>> ramdisk = "/solaris/x86.microroot"
>> extra = "/platform/i86xpv/kernel/amd64/unix - nowin -B
>> install_media=cdrom"
>>
>> on_shutdown = "destroy"
>> on_reboot = "destroy"
>> *
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:54 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@fajar.net> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Is the ISO listed first? It must, in order for pygrub to pick it up.
>>>
>>> You can also test if pygrub can correctly load kernel and ramdisk from
>>> ISO by running something like
>>>
>>> pygrub /path/to/your/openindiana.iso
>>>
>>> If you see an error, then probably your pygrub version is too old. Try
>>> MRJ's for example on how to use kernel and ramdisk copied manually
>>> from the ISO.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Fajar
>>>
>>
>>
>