info on this topic.

I tried this, after binding the controller to pciback, but it didn't work:
example: xe vm-param-set
other-config:pci=0/0000:00:1d.0,0/0000:00:1d.1,0/0000:00:1d.2,0/0000:00:1d.3,0/0000:00:1d.7
uuid=MYUUID

Is this the way to go, or does it work differently for a HVM?

kind regards.

Donald
Re: XCP PCI Passthrough on HVM how to? [ In reply to ]
Like Donald, I too hope to configure PCI passthrough to an HVM guest in
XCP. And also like Donald, I haven't had much luck finding the relevant
documentation.

If PCI passthrough to an HVM guest is possible in XCP, such as through xe
or otherwise, would someone please share the basic steps and commands?

Thanks so much for any help that you may be willing to provide.

Best regards,
GizmoChicken

Re: XCP PCI Passthrough on HVM how to? [ In reply to ]
>If PCI passthrough to an HVM guest is possible in XCP, such as through xe or otherwise, would someone please share the basic steps and commands?

It's basically what Donald had but the semantics of the number before the slash changed at some point in the past - in recent versions it's just an index into the list of devices so should be 0/...,1/...,2/... etc. (having all 0/ will probably still work but the order they appear in the guest would be undefined).

Same for PV and HVM.

However there are caveats:

* IIRC XCP 1.6 doesn't handle multi-function pass-through properly - I think it passes each function through as a separate device. This'll work in some cases but fail in others.

* VT-d/IOMMU support is needed (at least for HVM) so this must be enabled in the system BIOS and be working (usually requires a BIOS update and even then YMMV)

* Not all devices are pass-through friendly - ideally the device will support Function Level Reset (see http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough for general information about this)

For another example see this link which gives some info on how SR-IOV based PCI-passthrough is done on XenServer: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX131381 (the same rules apply to non-SR-IOV passthrough as well)

Regards,
James

Re: XCP PCI Passthrough on HVM how to? [ In reply to ]
James,

Thanks so much for your reply. Much appreciated!

I'm somewhat familiar with PCI-passthrough as implemented by xm/xend. But
honestly, I know almost nothing about PCI-passthrough as implemented by xe.

I would switch to XCP if the PCI-passthrough as implemented by xe would
allow me to passthrough a USB controller as to access a few simple USB
devices (such as a mouse, keyboard and USB drive) from an HVM guest.

I won't hold you to it, but based on what you know about xe, does the above
seem feasible?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Best regards,
GizmoChicken