of it, OR will it know that Xen 4.2 is already installed and running and
will only install the XenAPI Toolstack?

On the http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html website, it just**says
*"In a nutshell, all you will need to do get the latest version of Xen,
the XenAPI toolstack and other components delivered in XCP is to execute
"apt-get install xapi"* But of course there is no *xapi* package in
debian, and either way it will try to install Xen as well when you don't
need it if you compile and install it first.
Re: How to install JUST the XenAPI Toolstack? [ In reply to ]
On 10/05/12 22:51, cyberhawk001@gmail.com wrote:
> So, can anyone please tell me that if you have compiled, installed and
> running the latest Xen 4.2 unstable and wanted to install the XenAPI
> Toolstack by running:
>
> apt-get install xcp-xapi
> apt-get install xcp-xe
>

> will that also try to install the Xen Hypervisor as it being a dependent
> of it, OR will it know that Xen 4.2 is already installed and running and
> will only install the XenAPI Toolstack?
>
> On the http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html website, it just**says
> *"In a nutshell, all you will need to do get the latest version of Xen,
> the XenAPI toolstack and other components delivered in XCP is to execute
> "apt-get install xapi"* But of course there is no *xapi* package in
> debian, and either way it will try to install Xen as well when you don't
> need it if you compile and install it first.

We wrote that page before we decided on a name for the package, so it's
out of date.

xcp-xapi depends on the xen-hypervisor package directly. You can just
let it install that package, and then probably use dpkg -r
xen-hypervisor afterwards. If that tries to remove xcp-xapi too, then
you could probably just delete the /boot/xen.gz file, and install it
directly from source. I'm no Debian expert, so you might want to just
ask this on one of the Debian IRC channels to be sure.

Mike

Re: How to install JUST the XenAPI Toolstack? [ In reply to ]
On 5/17/2012 10:26 AM, Mike McClurg wrote:
> On 10/05/12 22:51, cyberhawk001@gmail.com wrote:
>> So, can anyone please tell me that if you have compiled, installed and
>> running the latest Xen 4.2 unstable and wanted to install the XenAPI
>> Toolstack by running:
>>
>> apt-get install xcp-xapi
>> apt-get install xcp-xe
>>

>> will that also try to install the Xen Hypervisor as it being a dependent
>> of it, OR will it know that Xen 4.2 is already installed and running and
>> will only install the XenAPI Toolstack?
>>
>> On the http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html website, it just**says
>> *"In a nutshell, all you will need to do get the latest version of Xen,
>> the XenAPI toolstack and other components delivered in XCP is to execute
>> "apt-get install xapi"* But of course there is no *xapi* package in
>> debian, and either way it will try to install Xen as well when you don't
>> need it if you compile and install it first.
>
> We wrote that page before we decided on a name for the package, so
> it's out of date.
>
> xcp-xapi depends on the xen-hypervisor package directly. You can just
> let it install that package, and then probably use dpkg -r
> xen-hypervisor afterwards. If that tries to remove xcp-xapi too, then
> you could probably just delete the /boot/xen.gz file, and install it
> directly from source. I'm no Debian expert, so you might want to just
> ask this on one of the Debian IRC channels to be sure.
>
> Mike

Hey mike, thanks for the reply, i really appreciate that. I have been
wanting to install XAPI on a Debian Dom0 for a while now, but without
random testing, i didn't know how to proceed, so i have not done much
installing.

Originally i was looking at and following the Wiki Kronos page,
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP_toolstack_on_a_Debian-based_distribution,
but that is also out of date. As with all things, Project Kronos is
still a work in progress i do understand that, and so far not too many
guides out there to explain how to get it to work. So i was wondering about:

1.) Using the two commands found on the Project Kronos Wiki page,
*apt-get install xcp-xapi* and *apt-get install xcp-xe*, the *xcp-api*
package installs the Xen Hypervisor, Utils libraries, etc as a
dependent, than what is the *xcp-xe* needed for?

2.) I currently have installed Debian Wheezy 64bit, compiled kernal
3.3.4 and running the latest Xen 4.2-Unstable, as of compiled a few days
ago at least. SO, if i try to run *apt-get install xcp-xapi*, it will
also download and install the xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 package, QEMU and
many others. IF i let it, it will probably override my currently running
Xen 4.2-Unstable WHICH i am guessing is probably not a good thing. SO i
have not done so unless i know you can install JUST the XAPI Toolstack

3.) Has XAPI been converted to 64bit yet? I have read conflicting things
where one places says the XAPI is currently only 32bit, but on one wiki
pages it shows as 32bit or 64 bit. So figured i ask since i am using a
64bit Debian Wheezy and don't believe a 32bit XAPI could run on it.

4.) So, there is no way to download JUST the XAPI toolstack source,
compile it and install? Looking in the *xapi-autobuilder.git*, it says
the same thing that the XAPI is compiled with all dependencies,
including Xen Hypervisor.

5.) Finally, is the latest version of XAPI compatible and can be run on
Xen 4.2-Unstable?

Thanks again for the advice...
Re: How to install JUST the XenAPI Toolstack? [ In reply to ]
> 1.) Using the two commands found on the Project Kronos Wiki page,
> *apt-get install xcp-xapi* and *apt-get install xcp-xe*, the *xcp-api*
> package installs the Xen Hypervisor, Utils libraries, etc as a
> dependent, than what is the *xcp-xe* needed for?

'xe' is stand-alone utility, allows you to control xcp by issuing
commands like 'xe vm-start' and so on. You can install it separately on
different machine and connect to xapi via https to XenAPI provided by xapi.
Re: How to install JUST the XenAPI Toolstack? [ In reply to ]
> Hey mike, thanks for the reply, i really appreciate that. I have been
> wanting to install XAPI on a Debian Dom0 for a while now, but without
> random testing, i didn't know how to proceed, so i have not done much
> installing.
>
> Originally i was looking at and following the Wiki Kronos page,
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP_toolstack_on_a_Debian-based_distribution,
> but that is also out of date. As with all things, Project Kronos is
> still a work in progress i do understand that, and so far not too many
> guides out there to explain how to get it to work. So i was wondering about:
>
> 1.) Using the two commands found on the Project Kronos Wiki page,
> *apt-get install xcp-xapi* and *apt-get install xcp-xe*, the *xcp-api*
> package installs the Xen Hypervisor, Utils libraries, etc as a
> dependent, than what is the *xcp-xe* needed for?

xcp-xe provides the xe command line interface to xapi. It's a dependency
of xcp-xapi, so you don't need to install it separately.

> 2.) I currently have installed Debian Wheezy 64bit, compiled kernal
> 3.3.4 and running the latest Xen 4.2-Unstable, as of compiled a few days
> ago at least. SO, if i try to run *apt-get install xcp-xapi*, it will
> also download and install the xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 package, QEMU and
> many others. IF i let it, it will probably override my currently running
> Xen 4.2-Unstable WHICH i am guessing is probably not a good thing. SO i
> have not done so unless i know you can install JUST the XAPI Toolstack

You could just delete the xen.gz that's installed by the
xen-hypervisor.deb package, and then install your own. It might mess up
your package database, but you can probably recover from that by
force-reinstalling the xen-hypervisor.deb package to overwrite your
custom build.

> 3.) Has XAPI been converted to 64bit yet? I have read conflicting things
> where one places says the XAPI is currently only 32bit, but on one wiki
> pages it shows as 32bit or 64 bit. So figured i ask since i am using a
> 64bit Debian Wheezy and don't believe a 32bit XAPI could run on it.

xapi in XCP and XenServer is 32-bit, but on Debian and Ubuntu it is
compiled for both 32- and 64-bit.

> 4.) So, there is no way to download JUST the XAPI toolstack source,
> compile it and install? Looking in the *xapi-autobuilder.git*, it says
> the same thing that the XAPI is compiled with all dependencies,
> including Xen Hypervisor.

Yes, you can download the xapi source from
http://github.com/xen-org/xen-api, check out the debian branch, and
build from there. Or you can do apt-get source xen-api, and rebuild it.
You might be able to use dpkg to install the binary deb package, without
installing dependencies, but I don't know.

> 5.) Finally, is the latest version of XAPI compatible and can be run on
> Xen 4.2-Unstable?

I don't know, but I hope so ;) If you find out, please let us know. The
latest trunk build of xapi should work with xen-unstable, but we haven't
released that version of xapi yet, either for XenServer, XCP, or
Debian/Ubuntu.

> Thanks again for the advice...

No problem!

Mike

Re: How to install JUST the XenAPI Toolstack? [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/2012 9:50 AM, Mike McClurg wrote:
>> Hey mike, thanks for the reply, i really appreciate that. I have been
>> wanting to install XAPI on a Debian Dom0 for a while now, but without
>> random testing, i didn't know how to proceed, so i have not done much
>> installing.
>>
>> Originally i was looking at and following the Wiki Kronos page,
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP_toolstack_on_a_Debian-based_distribution,
>> but that is also out of date. As with all things, Project Kronos is
>> still a work in progress i do understand that, and so far not too many
>> guides out there to explain how to get it to work. So i was wondering
>> about:
>>
>> 1.) Using the two commands found on the Project Kronos Wiki page,
>> *apt-get install xcp-xapi* and *apt-get install xcp-xe*, the *xcp-api*
>> package installs the Xen Hypervisor, Utils libraries, etc as a
>> dependent, than what is the *xcp-xe* needed for?
>
> xcp-xe provides the xe command line interface to xapi. It's a
> dependency of xcp-xapi, so you don't need to install it separately.
>
>> 2.) I currently have installed Debian Wheezy 64bit, compiled kernal
>> 3.3.4 and running the latest Xen 4.2-Unstable, as of compiled a few days
>> ago at least. SO, if i try to run *apt-get install xcp-xapi*, it will
>> also download and install the xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 package, QEMU and
>> many others. IF i let it, it will probably override my currently running
>> Xen 4.2-Unstable WHICH i am guessing is probably not a good thing. SO i
>> have not done so unless i know you can install JUST the XAPI Toolstack
>
> You could just delete the xen.gz that's installed by the
> xen-hypervisor.deb package, and then install your own. It might mess
> up your package database, but you can probably recover from that by
> force-reinstalling the xen-hypervisor.deb package to overwrite your
> custom build.

I have attempted once to force install all of the xcp packages manually
and one at a time. What i tried was while already having installed the
latest Xen 4.2-unstable, booted into Non-Xen kernel, install all non XCP
related packages and libraries thru normal means via synaptic, then
downloaded manually each XCP package and installed it manually one at a
time, sometimes using force install. I know, most would allready know
it wouldn't work, but i just tried it once anyways for kicks, BUT i
lack the understanding on how to properly configure each package so that
it loads the right things and communicates with Debian and to each XCP
package, so most things were never configured so the XE toolstack never
did load, and the blk. It was just my feeble attempt.

>> 3.) Has XAPI been converted to 64bit yet? I have read conflicting things
>> where one places says the XAPI is currently only 32bit, but on one wiki
>> pages it shows as 32bit or 64 bit. So figured i ask since i am using a
>> 64bit Debian Wheezy and don't believe a 32bit XAPI could run on it.
>
> xapi in XCP and XenServer is 32-bit, but on Debian and Ubuntu it is
> compiled for both 32- and 64-bit.
>
>> 4.) So, there is no way to download JUST the XAPI toolstack source,
>> compile it and install? Looking in the *xapi-autobuilder.git*, it says
>> the same thing that the XAPI is compiled with all dependencies,
>> including Xen Hypervisor.
>
> Yes, you can download the xapi source from
> http://github.com/xen-org/xen-api, check out the debian branch, and
> build from there. Or you can do apt-get source xen-api, and rebuild
> it. You might be able to use dpkg to install the binary deb package,
> without installing dependencies, but I don't know.
>
>> 5.) Finally, is the latest version of XAPI compatible and can be run on
>> Xen 4.2-Unstable?
>
> I don't know, but I hope so ;) If you find out, please let us know.
> The latest trunk build of xapi should work with xen-unstable, but we
> haven't released that version of xapi yet, either for XenServer, XCP,
> or Debian/Ubuntu.

From my understand what some have mentioned or told me is that the XAPI
version, that is made for Debian type linux, has to be compiled and
built to worth with a specific version of Xen. SO if currently the XAPI
on Debian works with Xen 4.1.2, than it will not work with Xen 4.2
unless it is again written and compiled to work wtih Xen 4.2, which as
you stated is not released yet.

SOOO, just out of curiosity, any ideas of when you guys might release
the version of XAPI that will run on Xen 4.2? Will it ONLY happen once
Xen 4.2-unstable becomes Xen 4.2 Stable (suppose that would be logical
sense)? Just wondering how long one might have to wait... :)

ALSO, would the version of XAPI that was lets say made to work with Xen
4.2 be the equivalent to XenServer 6? OR would it be newer than
XenServer 6, lets say 7 for example?? Just curious on how Xen 4.2
equates to XenServer? AS i think, XCP 1.1 is pretty much the same thing
as XenServer 5.6.x AND XCP 1.5 is the same thing as XenServer 6. SO than
i guess, Xen 4.2 would be like XenServer 7? Anyways just guessing and
curious on the how different versions are introduced.