The DomU can be ballooned up only till its start_target_mem and seems to
disobey the static max.

For e.g If I start a CentOS6 DomU with 4GB RAM then ballooning works fine
between 256MB to 4GB but it cant go beyond 4GB though it has static max as
16GB.

I can confirm same issue on XCP1.1, so it might be something only with
CentOS6.

- RJ
Re: CentOS 6.X balloon issue [ XCP 1.5 / CentOS6 Bug ] [ In reply to ]
Heh, I've reported that stuff many times, until it was fixed in recent
kernels (about 3.1 or 3.2).

No luck for 2.6.32. All older pv_ops kernels do have that issue with XCP
toolstack. Use -xen kernels (like 2.6.18-xen, or forward ported from
suse f.e. 2.6.34-xen, 2.6.37-xen, 3.1-xen and so on).

Re: CentOS 6.X balloon issue [ XCP 1.5 / CentOS6 Bug ] [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM, George Shuklin <george.shuklin@gmail.com>wrote:

> Heh, I've reported that stuff many times, until it was fixed in recent
> kernels (about 3.1 or 3.2).
>
> No luck for 2.6.32. All older pv_ops kernels do have that issue with XCP
> toolstack. Use -xen kernels (like 2.6.18-xen, or forward ported from suse
> f.e. 2.6.34-xen, 2.6.37-xen, 3.1-xen and so on).

Oh ! Do you have any URL so that I can track for this bug update ?
And till the time this BUG gets resolved, how do I obtain a 2.6.32-xen ?

I'm little familiar with Kernel Compilations but not too much. I would
appreciate if you can guide me.

Re: CentOS 6.X balloon issue [ XCP 1.5 / CentOS6 Bug ] [ In reply to ]
1) commit d7587810a40aee32ec6bdfc2d4bce7ba9fd03c3e in linux tree.
2) I don't think it's good idea to change kernel of CentOS: it contains
lot of changes compare to vanilla
3) Actually, this is reason why we don't provide customers CentOS 6 in
cloud. All other operating systems (including centos 5) works with -xen
kernels or have it in distribution.