Mailing List Archive

Deprecation notice for citoid.wikimedia.org domain
Hey all,

The citoid service, which looks up URLs and similar strings and turns them
into citations, has moved to be accessed via RESTbase as part of
decommissioning the per-service domain system[0]. The old domain will stop
working on *1 May 2017* (just under two months from now).

In simple terms, this means that requests to citoid via
citoid.wikimedia.org/api?… (*e.g.* [1]) now need to go to {wiki
domain}/api/rest_v1/data/citoid/… (*e.g.* [2]) to work. End-point
documentation is available in the usual place.[3]

We have already moved the automatic citation feature inside the visual
editor to use the domain. If you are responsible for a script, gadget, or
tool which is using the old domain, please switch over before the deadline.

[1]
https://citoid.wikimedia.org/api?format=mediawiki&search=http%3A%2F%2Flink.springer.com%2Fchapter%2F10.1007%2F11926078_68

[2]
https://www.mediawiki.org/api/rest_v1/data/citation/mediawiki/http%3A%2F%2Flink.springer.com%2Fchapter%2F10.1007%2F11926078_68

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/#!/Citation/getCitation

Yours,

--

James D. Forrester
Lead Product Manager, Editing
jforrester at wikimedia.org
@jdforrester
Re: Deprecation notice for citoid.wikimedia.org domain [ In reply to ]
Hello,

We have retired the subdomain citoid.wikimedia.org at 17:00 UTC today. As
previously indicated by James, the way to reach Citoid, the citation
service, is now exclusively through the REST API~[1].

Cheers,
Marko Obrovac, PhD
Senior Services Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation