*Presenter:* Yuri Astrakhan and Dan Andreescu
*Date:* May 14th
*Time:* 2100 UTC
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Tech+Talk%3A+Graphs+&iso=20150514T21&p1=3915&ah=1>
Link to live YouTube stream <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7DTn9jHnI0>
*IRC channel for questions/discussion:* #wikimedia-office
Google+ page
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/103470172168784626509/events/cjm55bm8ifohmbpubdbvnvlb1n4>,
another
place for questions

*Talk description: *Thanks to many great contributors, we are proud to
present the Graphs <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graph/Demo>...
because wiki pages with SVG and PNG images is so last century. Graph
extension <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graph> allows content
authors to insert a data-defined graph or a map in a wiki page. Graph is
described using Vega visualization grammar <http://trifacta.github.io/vega/>
( demo <http://trifacta.github.io/vega/editor/>), and allows very complex
data transformations, filtering, and soon even animation & interactivity.
Combine that with the power of wiki template parameters and Lua scripting,
and the results could be stellar. Up to you really. Vega+d3 gives us a huge
list of charting options and maps with numerous projections and ability to
highlight individual regions. Lastly, graphs could be rendered either in a
browser (more interactivity), or on the server (faster load). Demo will be
served.

Special thanks goes to milimetric, krinkle, Brion, and gwicke, without
whose help this project would have been a lot harder, and to Vega and other
open source teams who build such great libraries.
Re: Tech Talk: Graphs! Visualize maps and data graphs live on Wikipedia - May 14 [ In reply to ]
Il 13/05/2015 02:53, Rachel Farrand ha scritto:
> Please join us for the following tech talk:
>
> *Tech Talk**:* Graphs! Visualize maps and data graphs live on Wikipedia
> *Presenter:* Yuri Astrakhan and Dan Andreescu
> *Date:* May 14th
> *Time:* 2100 UTC
> <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Tech+Talk%3A+Graphs+&iso=20150514T21&p1=3915&ah=1>

This link shows 21:00 UTC-1. I guess the correct one is
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Tech+Talk%3A+Graphs+&iso=20150514T21,
isn't it?

Re: Tech Talk: Graphs! Visualize maps and data graphs live on Wikipedia - May 14 [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much for the correction, you are right. The correct time is
20 UTC (2 hours from now) - it should now be corrected here:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Tech+Talk%3A+Graphs+&iso=20150514T20&p1=1440

Re: Tech Talk: Graphs! Visualize maps and data graphs live on Wikipedia - May 14 [ In reply to ]
Thanks for joining today!

If you missed that talk and would like to view the recording, here is the
link: *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7DTn9jHnI0
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7DTn9jHnI0>*
It has been released under a creative commons license.

If you have any questions about today's talk please feel free to get in
touch with Yuri <yastrakhan@wikimedia.org> and Dan <dandreescu@wikimedia.org
>.

You can check out past tech talk recordings at the MediaWiki YouTube page
here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg4wlhlN8RjP6_e_vMC4CTA

If you have an idea for a future tech talk that you would like to nominate
(or see what we have coming up), please add your suggestions here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Calendar/How_to_schedule_an_event/TechTalks
Please feel free to email me with your ideas as well. :)

Thanks!