The Cite extension <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite> is
required for references to work, so the tooltips could just be an
additional feature. However, I don't feel comfortable with embedding
such an experiment into a cornerstone of ours like Cite.
VectorBeta <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VectorBeta>
includes many features of this kind, but reference tooltips are really
not Vector-specific.
Which do you think is the most suitable repository?
Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
Adding a Beta Feature to the Cite extension is fine. Note that there was
(dormant) code in that repo to do exactly this for years, never enabled.

On 2 February 2015 at 16:49, Ricordisamoa <ricordisamoa@openmailbox.org>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I've come up with a rough OOjs-UI-based rewrite of the long-standing
> Reference Tooltips <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reference_Tooltips>
> gadget.
> I'd like to see it enabled on Wikimedia sites as a beta feature, to
> ultimately replace the gadget, but I'm not sure it is worth an extension on
> its own.
> It could share some code with the Popups extension <
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Popups> but, unlike the latter,
> the former does not depend on neither TextExtracts nor PageImages.
> The Cite extension <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite> is
> required for references to work, so the tooltips could just be an
> additional feature. However, I don't feel comfortable with embedding such
> an experiment into a cornerstone of ours like Cite.
> VectorBeta <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VectorBeta> includes
> many features of this kind, but reference tooltips are really not
> Vector-specific.
> Which do you think is the most suitable repository?

James D. Forrester
Product Manager, Editing
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

jforrester@wikimedia.org | @jdforrester
Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
Oh, I see T69282 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T69282> now. But my
version is much cleaner and doesn't use deprecated components :-)

Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
See also https <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T67114>://
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T67114>phabricator.wikimedia.org
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T67114>/T67114
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T67114> (" Hovercards: Show cards for
references ")
CCing Prateek.

Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
<nwilson@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> See also https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T67114 (" Hovercards: Show cards
> for references ")
> CCing Prateek.

And https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/139827/ for a very old patch
that implements this.

wrote:
> It could share some code with the Popups extension <
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Popups> but, unlike the latter,
> the former does not depend on neither TextExtracts nor PageImages.

It could easily share code with the Popups. You can register a new
renderer that corresponds to a certain kind of link. There is no
compulsion to use TextExtracts or PageImages within a renderer. I'd
love to see this functionality within the extension.

—prtksxna

Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
How do you think a Popups renderer would integrate with OOjs UI?
Why shouldn't ReferenceTooltips be put into Cite?

Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Ricordisamoa
<ricordisamoa@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> How do you think a Popups renderer would integrate with OOjs UI?

I haven't thought about this yet. Currently Popups doesn't use any UI
elements (like buttons or inputs) so I didn't feel the need to use a
framework. We might want to use an OOjs UI Dialog but I don't have
enough experience with the framework to tell if it'll work under all
of Popup's positioning and sizing constraints. I am guessing it'll be
a pretty major shift to use both OOjs and OOjs UI, not something that
I'll have the time to do until March.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Ricordisamoa
<ricordisamoa@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> Why shouldn't ReferenceTooltips be put into Cite?

I am not sure. As James said, there is already something like this in
Cite but it wasn't enabled. I am not sure why that is. Nick or James
would know better.

Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
Il 06/02/2015 06:52, Prateek Saxena ha scritto:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Ricordisamoa
> <ricordisamoa@openmailbox.org> wrote:
>> How do you think a Popups renderer would integrate with OOjs UI?
> I haven't thought about this yet. Currently Popups doesn't use any UI
> elements (like buttons or inputs) so I didn't feel the need to use a
> framework. We might want to use an OOjs UI Dialog but I don't have
> enough experience with the framework to tell if it'll work under all
> of Popup's positioning and sizing constraints. I am guessing it'll be
> a pretty major shift to use both OOjs and OOjs UI, not something that
> I'll have the time to do until March.
My implementation uses PopupWidget
<https://doc.wikimedia.org/oojs-ui/master/#%21/api/OO.ui.PopupWidget>
for the tooltips, which are automatically adjusted according to the
anchor's position, while a subclass of ProcessDialog
<https://doc.wikimedia.org/oojs-ui/master/#%21/api/OO.ui.ProcessDialog>
handles the user configuration.
Unfortunately, it doesn't comply with the design specs
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T67114#692607>, but on the other hand
its operation is very similar to the English Wikipedia gadget (now found
on many language editions
<https://www.google.com/search?q=intitle:MediaWiki:Gadget-ReferenceTooltips.js+site:wikipedia.org>
from where I've imported translations) and is customizable to a fair extent.

When we agree on where to put the finished code, I could either file a
new patch or amend yours accordingly.

Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
Neat! Moving the Popups extension to OOjs and OOjs UI will surely be
an improvement. I have created a tracking bug for this
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88882, but I don't think I'll have
time to work on this anytime soon. And with the upcoming "release" of
the extension on certain language wikis
(https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88164) I won't be comfortable
introducing such a large change.

Anyway, I'd love to see your code (sorry, I think I missed the link)
and see how it could fit with the rest.

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 6:38 AM, Ricordisamoa

Re: New "Reference Tooltips" beta feature [ In reply to ]
You didn't miss the link, I just didn't publish one :-)
Now I've gone bold and uploaded the code
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/189167/>. It's still very experimental,
feel free to play with it!