Mailing List Archive

git-review 1.24 broken?
A few days ago, I got this warning message after pushing a commit to Gerrit
via git-review:

A new version of git-review is available on PyPI. Please
update your copy with:
pip install -U git-review
to ensure proper behavior with gerrit. Thanks!

I had version 1.23

$ git-review --version
git-review version 1.23

I have followed the instructions and got version 1.24. (I had to use sudo
on my Mac to get pip install to work.)

$ pip install -U git-review

But then, git-review broke completely:

$ git review
(...)
raise DistributionNotFound(req) # XXX put more info here
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: git-review

Since I did not have the time to debug this, I have gone back to 1.23 and
everything works again. (Do not forget sudo.)

pip uninstall git-review
pip install git-review==1.23

The problem is already reported[1]. The workaround is to upgrade
setuptools. (Do not forget sudo.)

$ pip install --upgrade setuptools
(...)

$ pip install -U git-review
(...)

$ git review --version
git-review version 1.24

Željko
--
1: https://bugs.launchpad.net/git-review/+bug/1337701
Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
Could it be an OSX specific problem?

git review 1.24 works for me on two linux distros, with different
setuptools installed

fedora-core-19 using distribute 0.6.49
ubuntu-14.04 using setuptools 3.3

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Željko Filipin <zfilipin@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> A few days ago, I got this warning message after pushing a commit to Gerrit
> via git-review:

> A new version of git-review is available on PyPI. Please
> update your copy with:
> pip install -U git-review
> to ensure proper behavior with gerrit. Thanks!
>

> I had version 1.23
>
> $ git-review --version
> git-review version 1.23
>

> I have followed the instructions and got version 1.24. (I had to use sudo
> on my Mac to get pip install to work.)
>
> $ pip install -U git-review
>

> But then, git-review broke completely:
>
> $ git review
> (...)
> raise DistributionNotFound(req) # XXX put more info here
> pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: git-review
>

> Since I did not have the time to debug this, I have gone back to 1.23 and
> everything works again. (Do not forget sudo.)
>
> pip uninstall git-review
> pip install git-review==1.23
>

> The problem is already reported[1]. The workaround is to upgrade
> setuptools. (Do not forget sudo.)
>
> $ pip install --upgrade setuptools
> (...)
>
> $ pip install -U git-review
> (...)
>
> $ git review --version
> git-review version 1.24
>

> Željko
> --
> 1: https://bugs.launchpad.net/git-review/+bug/1337701

John Vandenberg
Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:11 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could it be an OSX specific problem?

I think it is. I am on MacOS 10.9.3 and faced the same problem.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Željko Filipin <zfilipin@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> $ pip install --upgrade setuptools
> $ pip install -U git-review

Thanks Željko! That solved it o/

—prtksxna

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and I get the same issues.

Worse, I seem to also get problems uninstalling and reinstalling git-review
when I try to follow the directions in the first email. I think that part
might be local to my machine -- but the general git-review 1.24 problem
doesn't seem to be limited to OSX.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Prateek Saxena <psaxena@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:11 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Could it be an OSX specific problem?
>
> I think it is. I am on MacOS 10.9.3 and faced the same problem.
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Željko Filipin <zfilipin@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> > $ pip install --upgrade setuptools
> > $ pip install -U git-review
>
> Thanks Željko! That solved it o/
>

> —prtksxna

No trees were harmed in the creation of this post.
But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly
inconvenienced during its transmission!
Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Moriel Schottlender <moriel@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and I get the same issues.
>
> Worse, I seem to also get problems uninstalling and reinstalling git-review
> when I try to follow the directions in the first email. I think that part
> might be local to my machine -- but the general git-review 1.24 problem
> doesn't seem to be limited to OSX.

which package version do you have for 'python-setuptools', and what
does this show:
$ /usr/bin/easy_install --version

I reinstalled python-setuptools, and git review 1.24 is still working for me. :/

--
John Vandenberg

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]

> which package version do you have for 'python-setuptools', and what
> does this show:
> $ /usr/bin/easy_install --version

I get 'setuptools 3.3'

> I reinstalled python-setuptools, and git review 1.24 is still working for
> me. :/

So, when I try 'sudo pip install -U git-review' I get

(...)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 628, in
resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pip==1.0

I tried 'sudo pip install --upgrade setuptools' but I get the exact same
error.

Git review seems to work, but it's still on version 1.23, and I keep
getting the upgrade notice all the time.

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Moriel. Again I cant reproduce that! :-(

And I cant see any reference to pip 1.0 being a dependency in the
git-review code, however it may be implicit (a feature of pip used) or in
pbr somewhere.

Could you provide a complete backtrace for that exception?

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

Here are the full errors:

~$ sudo pip install -U git-review
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/pip", line 5, in <module>
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2749, in
<module>
working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 446, in
_build_master
return cls._build_from_requirements(__requires__)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 459, in
_build_from_requirements
dists = ws.resolve(reqs, Environment())

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 4:41 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Could it be an OSX specific problem?

I do not think so. I have also seen it happen on a Linux machine (I think
Ubuntu), while I was pairing with a GSOC student. Also, looks like at least
Moriel was able to reproduce it on Ubuntu.

Željko
Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Moriel Schottlender <moriel@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Worse, I seem to also get problems uninstalling and reinstalling git-review
> when I try to follow the directions in the first email

Can you post more information?

Željko
Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
FWIW, the debian `git-review` package is on version 1.23-2 and seems
to have no issues. If you are on debian or ubuntu, you should
probably be using the system native packages, rather than messing
around with `pip install`.
--scott

(http://cscott.net)

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]

> FWIW, the debian `git-review` package is on version 1.23-2 and seems
> to have no issues. If you are on debian or ubuntu, you should
> probably be using the system native packages, rather than messing
> around with `pip install`.

The docs here say that that's a bad idea. I'm not sure why (or if it's
still true) but just pointing it out.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/git-review#Debian

It seems that the native package doesn't work correctly. Or, if that's no
longer true, we should update the docs.

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Moriel Schottlender <moriel@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that the native package doesn't work correctly. Or, if that's no
> longer true, we should update the docs.

1.23-2 works great for me.

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 2:36 AM, Adrian Lang <adrian.lang@wikimedia.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Moriel Schottlender <moriel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems that the native package doesn't work correctly. Or, if that's no
>> longer true, we should update the docs.
>
> 1.23-2 works great for me.

I was using the distro package of git review for both FC and Ubuntu
for a long time without issues, so I think our docs should be updated
to recommend that, and document any issues with (older) distro
versions.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: git-review 1.24 broken? [ In reply to ]
On 07/10/2014 05:09 PM, John Mark Vandenberg wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 2:36 AM, Adrian Lang <adrian.lang@wikimedia.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Moriel Schottlender <moriel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It seems that the native package doesn't work correctly. Or, if that's no
>>> longer true, we should update the docs.
>>
>> 1.23-2 works great for me.
>
> I was using the distro package of git review for both FC and Ubuntu
> for a long time without issues, so I think our docs should be updated
> to recommend that, and document any issues with (older) distro
> versions.

Done at
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Gerrit/git-review&diff=1068642&oldid=1068048
.

If you hit an issue and want to put it back, please note the details.

Matt Flaschen