Mailing List Archive

Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar!
I want to ask wikimedia , about the .wiki tld. I am AN IT expert and I
was going to register science.wiiki (example) in epa ( early phase
access) which will be in may for my firm.

I was surprised to find that it was already registered by Top Level Design.
Visit: http://whois.domaintools.com/science.wiki.

Your all domains like media.wiki , books.wiki etc are registered.
http://whois.domaintools.com/books.wiki

I want to know that "wiki" means collaborative web you have the
trademark on the tld or not.

TOP LEVEL DESIGN, LLC is a miscellaneous company. Why a registrar
will register all premium domains.

I have requested my client to ignore .wiki tld.
What will be your action?

Best Regards,
V.P. Singh

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
"wiki" is a generic term, not a trademarked one.

On 4 April 2014 09:37, VP Singh <vpsinghdb@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to ask wikimedia , about the .wiki tld. I am AN IT expert and I
> was going to register science.wiiki (example) in epa ( early phase
> access) which will be in may for my firm.
>
> I was surprised to find that it was already registered by Top Level Design.
> Visit: http://whois.domaintools.com/science.wiki.
>
> Your all domains like media.wiki , books.wiki etc are registered.
> http://whois.domaintools.com/books.wiki
>
> I want to know that "wiki" means collaborative web you have the
> trademark on the tld or not.
>
> TOP LEVEL DESIGN, LLC is a miscellaneous company. Why a registrar
> will register all premium domains.
>
> I have requested my client to ignore .wiki tld.
> What will be your action?
>

> Best Regards,
> V.P. Singh

Oliver Keyes
Research Analyst
Wikimedia Foundation
Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
> "wiki" is a generic term, not a trademarked one.

You sure? Please share your certainties!
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_trademarks#Wikimedia_Foundation_trademarking_.E7.B6.AD.E5.9F.BA.2C_the_Chinese_word_for_.22wiki.22.3F>

Nemo

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
> On 4 April 2014 09:37, VP Singh <vpsinghdb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to ask wikimedia , about the .wiki tld. I am AN IT expert and I
> > was going to register science.wiiki (example) in epa ( early phase
> > access) which will be in may for my firm.
> >
> > I was surprised to find that it was already registered by Top Level
> Design.
> > Visit: http://whois.domaintools.com/science.wiki.

It is true that wiki is a generic term but it is slightly more complex than
that. Top Level Design are the ones who initially applied to ICANN for
.wiki to be created.
see http://icannwiki.com/index.php/Top_Level_Design
and
http://dotwiki.org/

I don't know exactly how it will work, but it seems that .wiki is not yet
available for individual application -- that starts in May:
http://nic.wiki/sunrise-opens-corporate-wiki-strategies/

Incidentally, Top Level Design is run by Ray King, who has been a long-time
part of the wiki scene in Portland. In addition to running domain-related
businesses, he genuinely loves wikis :) He is, however, totally
unaffiliated with Wikimedia.

-- Phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *
Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
The Chinese word for "wiki" is not "wiki".

As far as sharing my own personal certainties,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark would be a start, but for
the most part certainties aren't something that can easily be shared.

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
wiki is from Hawaiian.
wiki-wiki means "very quick"

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
This guy http://icannwiki.com/index.php/Raymond_King
who is director of icannwiki and also the co-founder of "Swapnames"

He has right on .wiki tld but he does not have right on media.wiki ( for
example) .
http://whois.domaintools.com/media.wiki (proof)

Then what's the point in registering MNCs and other premium names before
sunrise period.

Unless he want to auction them.

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
There's no point to any of these new gTLDs.

As its been pointed out in many places, including here, the whole thing is
a massive scam (not just .wiki).

Nobody should be indulging in these domains but I'm sure everyone will.

-Chad

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's no point to any of these new gTLDs.

For Wikimedia, there's a lot of potential for use as a good URL shortener
(en.wiki/Dog in instead of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog). The fact that Ray is
working with us to try and make that kind of thing happen for .wiki is
pretty cool, in my book.
Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
Poor non-Wikipedias won't get shorteners then...

-Chad

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
Le 06/04/2014 00:20, Steven Walling a écrit :
> For Wikimedia, there's a lot of potential for use as a good URL shortener
> (en.wiki/Dog in instead of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog).

What is the point of having shorter URLs anyway?

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
Who are you?
Are you a WikimediaN.
Is ray king is working with wikimedia.
True?
wikimedia said that ray is not related to anyone of their organisation.
Clarify

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]

> Who are you?

The emails have from headers...

> Are you a WikimediaN.

Everyone responding to this thread is a Wikimedian (almost by definition).
Some of the responses are from people who work for the Wikimedia Foundation
(not the same thing as being a Wikimedian), however i am almost certain
they are responding in a personal capacity not an official one. If you are
looking for some sort of official response from WMF legal, you are in the
wrong place.

> Is ray king is working with wikimedia?

Nope. He does not work for WMF.

> wikimedia said that ray is not related to anyone of their organisation.

He does not work for WMF. How to answer that depends on your definition of
related...

--
Bawolff

Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
On Apr 6, 2014 12:47 PM, "Brian Wolff" <bawolff@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is ray king is working with wikimedia?
>
> Nope. He does not work for WMF.

He doesn't work for WMF but the answer for "is working with Wikimedia?" is
"Yes, he is."

-Jeremy
Re: Top Level Design, LLC greedy registrar! [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Brian Wolff <bawolff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of the responses are from people who work for the Wikimedia Foundation
> (not the same thing as being a Wikimedian), however i am almost certain
> they are responding in a personal capacity not an official one. If you are
> looking for some sort of official response from WMF legal, you are in the
> wrong place.

I believe the last official response was that discussions are being had
privately between WMF and Top Level Design.[1]

So while I agree that this whole gTLD thing is probably some sort of
money-grabbing scheme,[2] the balance of evidence seems to indicate that
situation with .wiki isn't anything to worry overmuch about yet.

[1]:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2014-February/074622.html
[2]: I note how .info, years ago, was created with the same sort of
rationale but in the end the only thing I've ever heard about .info is on
anti-spam lists about blocking the whole thing because basically no one
uses it for sending ham.