Mailing List Archive

Welcoming David Chan to Wikimedia Language Engineering team
Hi everyone,

Please join me in welcoming David Chan as software engineer in the Language
Engineering team. Most you already know David from his awesome work on the
Visual Editor (VE) team integrating language support for the VE. We enjoyed
working with David so much that he will be now working full time at WMF
helping make the Visual Editor multilingual as well as developing
internationalization (i18n) and localization (L10n) tools to support 287
languages on Wikimedia sites.

David is a self-proclaimed i18n nerd with an interest in languages, both
major and lesser-resourced. He has been working in language technology
development for more than a decade having developed a English Welsh / Welsh
English content translation web service for Bangor University as well as
Android applications such as Ap Geiriaduron. He's been an open-source
enthusiast and contributor since 1997 and has campaigned for patent reform
in the UK. He's excited to be joining WMF and contributing to all things
language.

David can be reached on email at dchan at wikimedia.org and on our irc
channels including #mediawiki, #wikimedia-dev and #mediawiki-i18n.

Welcome David! I am excited to have you on the language engineering team!

Best,
Alolita

Alolita Sharma
आलोलिता शर्मा
Director of Engineering
Internationalization / Localization
Wikimedia Foundation
Re: Welcoming David Chan to Wikimedia Language Engineering team [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:06 AM, Alolita Sharma <asharma@wikimedia.org>
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please join me in welcoming David Chan as software engineer in the
Language
> Engineering team. Most you already know David from his awesome work on the
> Visual Editor (VE) team integrating language support for the VE. We
enjoyed
> working with David so much that he will be now working full time at WMF
> helping make the Visual Editor multilingual as well as developing
> internationalization (i18n) and localization (L10n) tools to support 287
> languages on Wikimedia sites.

Yay! David has been doing awesome things for us for a while, good to hear
we've now hired him for real :)

Roan
Re: Welcoming David Chan to Wikimedia Language Engineering team [ In reply to ]
Добро пожаловать, Давид!