Mailing List Archive

whatcanidoforwikipedia.org
I came across http://www.whatcanidoformozilla.org/ today, and
proceeded to register whatcanidoforwikipedia.org :)

Thoughts on what to put there? I cal already think of the following
languages to put up:

1. PHP
2. JS
3. Lua
4. Python
5. Java
6. Obj-C
7. 'Design'

I'll start a wiki page sometime to collect content, and then spend
some time writing the code - we can even fork the original site's code
and use it.

Thoughts?

P.S. Can we *please* not bikeshed on the domain name? Domain names are cheap
--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
Perl (EasyTimeline)

C++ (Parsoid)

Prolog, Puppet

Translation (translatewiki.net)

And of course, there's that obvious thing that a lot of people don't
realize - editing articles and proofreading books. Unless, of course,
you want to focus only technology.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
C# - huggle, wm-bot

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
You should have call it whatcanidoforwikimedia because this is too
wikipedia specific - that's an encyclopedia, people who want to
contribute to encyclopedia usually aren't programmers, except for
weirdos like me

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr@gmail.com> wrote:
> C# - huggle, wm-bot
>
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> Perl (EasyTimeline)
>>
>> C++ (Parsoid)
>>
>> Prolog, Puppet
>>
>> Translation (translatewiki.net)
>>
>> And of course, there's that obvious thing that a lot of people don't
>> realize - editing articles and proofreading books. Unless, of course,
>> you want to focus only technology.
>>
>> --
>> Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
>> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
>> ‪“We're living in pieces,
>> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
>>

>> 2013/4/7 Yuvi Panda <yuvipanda@gmail.com>:
>>> I came across http://www.whatcanidoformozilla.org/ today, and
>>> proceeded to register whatcanidoforwikipedia.org :)
>>>
>>> Thoughts on what to put there? I cal already think of the following
>>> languages to put up:
>>>
>>> 1. PHP
>>> 2. JS
>>> 3. Lua
>>> 4. Python
>>> 5. Java
>>> 6. Obj-C

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
I can help with C,C++, python, java.

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr@gmail.com> wrote:

> C# - huggle, wm-bot
>
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> > Perl (EasyTimeline)
> >
> > C++ (Parsoid)
> >
> > Prolog, Puppet
> >
> > Translation (translatewiki.net)
> >
> > And of course, there's that obvious thing that a lot of people don't
> > realize - editing articles and proofreading books. Unless, of course,
> > you want to focus only technology.
> >
> > --
> > Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> > http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> > ‪“We're living in pieces,
> > I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬
> >

> > 2013/4/7 Yuvi Panda <yuvipanda@gmail.com>:
> >> I came across http://www.whatcanidoformozilla.org/ today, and
> >> proceeded to register whatcanidoforwikipedia.org :)
> >>
> >> Thoughts on what to put there? I cal already think of the following
> >> languages to put up:
> >>
> >> 1. PHP
> >> 2. JS
> >> 3. Lua
> >> 4. Python
> >> 5. Java
> >> 6. Obj-C
> >> 7. 'Design'
> >>
> >> I'll start a wiki page sometime to collect content, and then spend
> >> some time writing the code - we can even fork the original site's code
> >> and use it.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>
> >> P.S. Can we *please* not bikeshed on the domain name? Domain names are
> cheap
> >> --
> >> Yuvi Panda T
> >> http://yuvi.in/blog

Harsh Kothari
Engineering Trainee,
Physical Research Laboratory.
Follow Me : harshkothari410 <https://twitter.com/harshkothari410/>
Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr@gmail.com> wrote:
> You should have call it whatcanidoforwikimedia because this is too
> wikipedia specific - that's an encyclopedia, people who want to
> contribute to encyclopedia usually aren't programmers, except for
> weirdos like me

I just bought whatcanidoforwikimedia.org and whatcanidoformediawiki.org too.

Working on the Wiki page now :)

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
fork it. that will be faster and prevent doing the same work

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr@gmail.com> wrote:
> fork it. that will be faster and prevent doing the same work

Agreed. The Wiki page is just for us to consolidate content and figure
out what links to where.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
Skeleton page:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Yuvipanda/whatcanidoforwikipedia.org

Fill it in!

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
Yuvi, that's great project of you!

What do you think about adding not only languages but also technologies?
For example if you know Semantic Web technologies (RDF and SPARQL) you can
help Semantic MediaWiki.

Other examples: MapReduce, Natural Language Processing, theory of compilers.
-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
Yuvi Panda wrote:
>Skeleton page:
>
>https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Yuvipanda/whatcanidoforwikipedia.org
>
>Fill it in!

Hi.

Thanks for working on this. You probably want to talk to Quim and others
in his team about this. He's been doing related work:

* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute

And some of my old notes about this:

* https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?oldid=585568#Blueprint

It's unclear whether you want to only focus on technologies or if you want
to also focus on (for example) re-using content from Wikimedia wikis.
"What can I do for Wikimedia?" --> re-use our content via XML dumps and
the MediaWiki API.

MZMcBride

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM, MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Thanks for working on this. You probably want to talk to Quim and others
> in his team about this. He's been doing related work:
>
> * https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute

Will do :) It's a nice page, I hadn't checked it out before! I should
be able to steal some from there

> And some of my old notes about this:
>
> * https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?oldid=585568#Blueprint
>
> It's unclear whether you want to only focus on technologies or if you want
> to also focus on (for example) re-using content from Wikimedia wikis.
> "What can I do for Wikimedia?" --> re-use our content via XML dumps and
> the MediaWiki API.

I think for now we should limit scope and only focus on the
'contribute code to Wikimedia' part, rather than the 'use our data in
interesting ways' part. The sit is, after all, what can I do *for*
wikimedia/wikipedia/mediawiki, rather than *with*. We can get those
domains too, but I think that's a much larger project than what I'd
want to sign up for right now :)

I'm thinking of limiting it to *just* developers to begin with, and
add localization afterwards. Thoughts?

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
Why not just point it to a page onwiki somewhere? that way everyone
can contribute!

(we could even semi-protect it I guess...)

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Yury Katkov <katkov.juriy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yuvi, that's great project of you!

Thank you!

> What do you think about adding not only languages but also technologies? For
> example if you know Semantic Web technologies (RDF and SPARQL) you can help
> Semantic MediaWiki.
>
> Other examples: MapReduce, Natural Language Processing, theory of compilers.

That would split things across two axes, with lots of intersection.
Plus it's sort of murky to categorize things based on 'technology
type' - where would Mobile apps come in, for example? Easier to keep
it simpler for now.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM, K. Peachey <p858snake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not just point it to a page onwiki somewhere? that way everyone
> can contribute!
>
> (we could even semi-protect it I guess...)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute is onwiki :)

This is a bit more, random and quirky, I guess? It's just a directory
- all links will point back to wiki. Plus the site itself (code +
data) will be on GitHub, so people *can* contribute easily.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
K. Peachey wrote:
>Why not just point it to a page onwiki somewhere? that way everyone
>can contribute!
>
>(we could even semi-protect it I guess...)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Get_involved was my half-assed attempt at
that. A wiki page has some advantages, but so does doing this inside (for
example) a MediaWiki extension. Particularly in terms of built-in
localization support.

For what it's worth, I added a (colorful) "single page" option to the "Get
involved" page, as some developers just want all the information in the
same browser page at once, no hand-holding or guiding. Perhaps an option
to consider for whatever you're building. Good luck. :-)

MZMcBride

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
I don't like idea that it's on a wiki page. That way some people can
contribute (everyone is controversial term when it comes to wiki
editing, let's say everyone who isn't blocked, not matching some range
blocks, not using a tor or not using an open proxy and many others...)

The reason why I don't like idea of having this on a wiki page is that
it will be never so cool as it is using that code this guy created. It
let you interactively pick what you want - mediawiki can't create such
a page, or it can but it would be overly complicated.

If you want "Everyone" to be able to contribute, install this to
wikimedia labs, and make the project open enough.

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason why I don't like idea of having this on a wiki page is that
> it will be never so cool as it is using that code this guy created. It
> let you interactively pick what you want - mediawiki can't create such
> a page, or it can but it would be overly complicated.

Agreed!

> If you want "Everyone" to be able to contribute, install this to
> wikimedia labs, and make the project open enough.

Labs isn't supposed to be used for production services, no? :) I'm
sure my VPS can handle this :)

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
labs are able to handle "production" services :) that means production
services which aren't supposed to have guaranteed 24*7 availability.

For example bots / tools project is supposed to host bots that are now
hosted on toolserver. So I think you could host it there if you
wanted...

But TBH I don't care as long as you keep it updated with the content
of wiki page :)

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
Thank you Yuvi for putting efforts in new contributor outreach!

Let me plug in the thoughts and discussions we have got in a similar
direction so far. Back in January Ross (CCed) had the same idea and we
started discussing until I enourage him to move to wiki pages & here for
further details. Also, let's start applying the lessons learned with the
'Wikitech contributors' debate.

On 04/07/2013 03:11 AM, Yuvi Panda wrote:
> I came across http://www.whatcanidoformozilla.org/ today, and
> proceeded to register whatcanidoforwikipedia.org :)

Why not doing exactly the same but on mediawiki.org directly? All the
effort put on promoting a brand new site could be put instead in
promoting mediawiki.org in a new, fresh way.

Why not use the technologies we are already developing? like

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GettingStarted
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GuidedTour

We would become their users, we would help testing and improving them.
The effort you are putting contributing code on this new project could
be put instead in patches to those extensions, better CSS and look &
feel for our site, etc. Producing and eating our own dog food.

Why not improving mediawiki.org pages making them friendly to newcomers
instead of creating content from scratch that would point to the same
mediawiki.org pages that we would need to improve anyway?

For example, no matter how nice your page on Lua is, the users clicking
it would still land on

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Lua ....

> Thoughts on what to put there? I cal already think of the following
> languages to put up:
>
> 1. PHP
> 2. JS
> 3. Lua
> 4. Python
> 5. Java
> 6. Obj-C
> 7. 'Design'

This recollection is exactly the same work we are calling "One ontology"
at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:New_contributors#One_ontology

Why not creating
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:New_contributors/One_ontology ,
move this list there and continue defining more categories on that page?

> I'll start a wiki page sometime to collect content, and then spend
> some time writing the code - we can even fork the original site's code
> and use it.

Yes please, start a wiki page documenting this effort that I hope
becomes the same effort that we want to put in mediawiki.org. URL suggested:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:New_contributors/What_can_I_do

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
Please, don't forget to make the website translatable. Although most
tech people speak English, they will be much more pleased to
contribute if they are invited in their mother tongue. :)

З павагай,
Павел Селіцкас/Pavel Selitskas
Wizardist @ Wikimedia projects

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Quim Gil <qgil@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Why not doing exactly the same but on mediawiki.org directly? All the effort
> put on promoting a brand new site could be put instead in promoting
> mediawiki.org in a new, fresh way.

I think there's a slight misunderstanding. If you see
http://whatcanidoformozilla.org, it doesn't have much *original*
content by itself - it just links back to an appropriate page on
mozwiki. This one will also be the same - it will just link back to
appropriate mediawiki.org pages. And if the pages are not good enough,
I'll try improve them (or poke people into doing that).

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Paul Selitskas <p.selitskas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please, don't forget to make the website translatable. Although most
> tech people speak English, they will be much more pleased to
> contribute if they are invited in their mother tongue. :)

Oh sure! What do you think will be the best way to go about this?
Translatewiki.net?

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
Sure. Translatewiki FTW. :) Perhaps you would try to ask the Language
Engineering Team for some consulting and assisting (Amire, Nikkerabit
or Siebrand, saying off-hand).

Re: whatcanidoforwikipedia.org [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Quim Gil <qgil@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Thank you Yuvi for putting efforts in new contributor outreach!
>
> Let me plug in the thoughts and discussions we have got in a similar
> direction so far. Back in January Ross (CCed) had the same idea and we
> started discussing until I enourage him to move to wiki pages & here for
> further details. Also, let's start applying the lessons learned with the
> 'Wikitech contributors' debate.
>

> On 04/07/2013 03:11 AM, Yuvi Panda wrote:
>>
>> I came across http://www.whatcanidoformozilla.org/ today, and
>> proceeded to register whatcanidoforwikipedia.org :)
>

> Why not doing exactly the same but on mediawiki.org directly? All the effort
> put on promoting a brand new site could be put instead in promoting
> mediawiki.org in a new, fresh way.

I think that this whatcanido whatever .org sites just sound more cool
:) or I don't know why mozilla wouldn't use mozilla.org as well

> Why not use the technologies we are already developing? like
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GettingStarted
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GuidedTour
>
> We would become their users, we would help testing and improving them. The
> effort you are putting contributing code on this new project could be put
> instead in patches to those extensions, better CSS and look & feel for our
> site, etc. Producing and eating our own dog food.

I don't think he needs to put much effort into it - the code exist and
is on open source, it's not meant to replace these extensions, it's
meant to create yet another way to lure more people :)