Mailing List Archive

Linking from Wikipedia articles to local library resources
See http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/glam/2013-March/000361.html &
http://everybodyslibraries.com/2013/03/04/from-wikipedia-to-our-libraries/
: "how do we get people from Wikipedia articles to the related offerings
of our local libraries?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Library_resources_box "create a
sidebar box with links to resources about (or by) the topic of a
Wikipedia article in a reader’s library, or in another library a reader
might want to consult."

And more!

"As with most things related to Wikipedia, this service is experimental,
and subject to change (and, hopefully, improvement) over time. I’d love
to hear thoughts and suggestions from users and maintainers of Wikipedia
and libraries."

John, since you said you're new to template-building, you might enjoy
learning about what the new Lua templating system gives you:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto/Lua_reference_manual

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: Linking from Wikipedia articles to local library resources [ In reply to ]
On 2013-03-05 9:20 PM, "Sumana Harihareswara" <sumanah@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> See http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/glam/2013-March/000361.html &
> http://everybodyslibraries.com/2013/03/04/from-wikipedia-to-our-libraries/
> : "how do we get people from Wikipedia articles to the related offerings
> of our local libraries?"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Library_resources_box "create a
> sidebar box with links to resources about (or by) the topic of a
> Wikipedia article in a reader’s library, or in another library a reader
> might want to consult."
>
> And more!
>
> "As with most things related to Wikipedia, this service is experimental,
> and subject to change (and, hopefully, improvement) over time. I’d love
> to hear thoughts and suggestions from users and maintainers of Wikipedia
> and libraries."
>
> John, since you said you're new to template-building, you might enjoy
> learning about what the new Lua templating system gives you:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto/Lua_reference_manual
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation

Sounds like the use case of special:booksources page...

<offtopic rant>

The problem with libraries electronic resources (or at least my libraries')
is not that people are too google addicted to consider them. The problem is
that they are a usability nightmere. In one case I recall I was not able to
download more than 10 pages at a time or effectively navigate because the
interface was a horrid mess. People go where they can get what they need in
the easiest fashion. Libraries are not even close to providing that for
electronic resources. Otoh I love me my dead tree books, and libraries are
still king there.

-bawolff
Re: Linking from Wikipedia articles to local library resources [ In reply to ]
On 03/05/2013 08:20 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> See http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/glam/2013-March/000361.html &
> http://everybodyslibraries.com/2013/03/04/from-wikipedia-to-our-libraries/
> : "how do we get people from Wikipedia articles to the related offerings
> of our local libraries?"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Library_resources_box "create a
> sidebar box with links to resources about (or by) the topic of a
> Wikipedia article in a reader’s library, or in another library a reader
> might want to consult."
>
> And more!
>
> "As with most things related to Wikipedia, this service is experimental,
> and subject to change (and, hopefully, improvement) over time. I’d love
> to hear thoughts and suggestions from users and maintainers of Wikipedia
> and libraries."
>
> John, since you said you're new to template-building, you might enjoy
> learning about what the new Lua templating system gives you:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto/Lua_reference_manual

John asked for his response to be forwarded:

> Thanks! The Lua capabilities look interesting. I could see them
> potentially making it possible to eventually implement some or all
> of the "smarts" of the service in Wikipedia itself. (Right
> now, my templates simply package up some arguments to a CGI-script
> forwarder I run on my end, which does the figuring out of what
> library to query, how to formulate a query, and what library headings
> or other query terms to use, for a given Wikipedia source.)
>
> I hope to publish data and source for my service once things
> quiet down a little bit here (right now, I'm keeping pretty busy
> with library requests and queries). Though the source isn't
> something that can simply be installed and run as-is (it's got some
> hooks into Online Books code, and is implemented in Perl), it
> might be useful for people looking to port it or do similar applications.

I encourage his source publication sooner rather than later, of course. :)