Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?
Hi aude,

2013/1/7 aude <aude.wiki@gmail.com>:
> Anyone know if this is happening or not? Sometime around the chapters
> meeting seems as good a time as any. Or maybe attached as a few days
> before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.
>
> (/me not organizing anything, though)
> I think there will be little overlap between attendees of the chapters
> meeting and this, whereas I think there's a bit of overlap with the
> hackathon. Problem is I am not aware of anyone willing to organize
> anything around the hackathon.
>
> Advantage of what Christian proposes is that someone is willing to host and
> help organize it. :)

We are definitely willing to organize it with FBK.
We were waiting to hear from the other chapter who expressed some
interest. I also got in touch with WM-NL to discuss if they can/are
willing to organize the event near the hackaton, since probably that
the overlap with that event could be greater, as Sumana proposed.
Also, Amsterdam may be a little easier to reach than Trento (I have
been told that most of OSM developers are based in Germany or in UK).
(I don't mean to put pressure on anybody though)

In any case, we will collect some feedback in the next days and then
you'll hear from us.

> The longer time goes by without picking a date, the more likely people like
> me can't come as something else will come up and then they are busy.

That's right. I think that in at most an couple of weeks we will be
able to fix some details.

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Cristian Consonni
<kikkocristian@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi aude,
>
> 2013/1/7 aude <aude.wiki@gmail.com>:
> > Anyone know if this is happening or not? Sometime around the chapters
> > meeting seems as good a time as any. Or maybe attached as a few days
> > before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.
> >
> > (/me not organizing anything, though)
> > I think there will be little overlap between attendees of the chapters
> > meeting and this, whereas I think there's a bit of overlap with the
> > hackathon. Problem is I am not aware of anyone willing to organize
> > anything around the hackathon.
> >
> > Advantage of what Christian proposes is that someone is willing to host
> and
> > help organize it. :)
>
> We are definitely willing to organize it with FBK.
> We were waiting to hear from the other chapter who expressed some
> interest. I also got in touch with WM-NL to discuss if they can/are
> willing to organize the event near the hackaton, since probably that
> the overlap with that event could be greater, as Sumana proposed.
> Also, Amsterdam may be a little easier to reach than Trento (I have
> been told that most of OSM developers are based in Germany or in UK).
> (I don't mean to put pressure on anybody though)
>
> In any case, we will collect some feedback in the next days and then
> you'll hear from us.
>
> > The longer time goes by without picking a date, the more likely people
> like
> > me can't come as something else will come up and then they are busy.
>
> That's right. I think that in at most an couple of weeks we will be
> able to fix some details.

Thank you!

I have no preference when or where, but sooner we know the better.

Cheers,
Katie

@wikimediadc / @wikidata
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
(Since this is about a tech event, can we keep CCed wikitech-l only?)

>>> Anyone know if this is happening or not? Sometime around the chapters
>>> meeting seems as good a time as any. Or maybe attached as a few days
>>> before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.

The developers actually involved think that April it's too late. Tomasz
Finc and Max Semenik have the lead on our end. They are also convinced
that it is better to organize it next to an existing event in order to
save organizational effort.

This leaves us with

Open Source Days, 9-10 March 2013, Copenhagen/Denmark
http://www.opensourcedays.org/

What we still miss is a confirmation of the organizers, but the event is
held in a business school full of classrooms so I don't expect any
problem. See the nice streetmap view of the building at
http://www.opensourcedays.org/2012/transport :)

I have asked tfinc and MaxSem to forward the relevant emails so I can
catch up and confirm the venue asap. Any help from Wikimedia Denmark is
welcome, of course.

Cristian, your proposal looks very interesting and the only reason not
to take it is that the date of the chapters meeting doesn't fit with the
developers plans. Would you be open for another tech activity in another
occasion?

Also, see how different this discussion could have been if we would have
got active MediaWiki Groups in the cities mentioned, or the many place
we haven't mentioned. Go for a local group and be ready to host the next
cool hackathon in the pipeline! :)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
I have had some trouble getting the OSD people to reply, but wading into
their irc channel helped :-)

More details will follow.

Ole

http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
Excellent. Were still very interested in sending some folks to this.

CC'ing MaxSem, Aude, and Tim (Kolossus) as I'd like to get them involved.

--tomasz