Mailing List Archive

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia
Asher,

This is awesome! Thank you for your hard, careful work and dedication in
taking this huge first step in moving to MariaDB!

--peter

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Hello Asher,

Thanks so much for your hard work on supporting our MariaDB migration.
I think that it's a big step for the MariaDB Foundation.

— Patrick

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Nice!

> The main goal of migrating to MariaDB is not performance driven. More so, I think it's in WMF's and the open source communities interest to coalesce around the MariaDB Foundation as the best route to ensuring a truly open and well supported future for mysql derived database technology. Performance gains along the way are icing on the cake.

If it works out, then at some point we should probably tell the MariaDB peeos that they can mention that the WMF uses it. :-)
Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Terry Chay <tchay@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Nice!
>

> > The main goal of migrating to MariaDB is not performance driven. More
> so, I think it's in WMF's and the open source communities interest to
> coalesce around the MariaDB Foundation as the best route to ensuring a
> truly open and well supported future for mysql derived database technology.
> Performance gains along the way are icing on the cake.
> >

> If it works out, then at some point we should probably tell the MariaDB
> peeos that they can mention that the WMF uses it. :-)

We've been talking to Monty Widenius who visited the WMF office prior to
the Foundation announcement, and are fostering mutual support between the
Wikimedia and MariaDB Foundations. Win-win for the open source community
at large!

-A
Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Asher,

This is great news! Thanks for your perseverance and setting up
MariaDB 5.5 for en.wp :-) Monty will be thrilled!

Best,
Alolita

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Awesome!

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Terry Chay <tchay@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> If it works out, then at some point we should probably tell the MariaDB peeos that they can mention that the WMF uses it. :-)

The enwiki article on MariaDB has claimed MediaWiki "officially"
supports it since October 2012.[1] Perhaps that's a {{citation
needed}}.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=519286745

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On 12 December 2012 14:28, Brad Jorsch <bjorsch@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The enwiki article on MariaDB has claimed MediaWiki "officially"
> supports it since October 2012.[1] Perhaps that's a {{citation
> needed}}.
> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=519286745

I would have thought it would have Just Worked in MediaWiki (the
software) for a long time.

- d.

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 December 2012 14:28, Brad Jorsch <bjorsch@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> The enwiki article on MariaDB has claimed MediaWiki "officially"
>> supports it since October 2012.[1] Perhaps that's a {{citation
>> needed}}.
>> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=519286745
>

> I would have thought it would have Just Worked in MediaWiki (the
> software) for a long time.

It probably did. But [[mw:Manual:Installation guide]] still says it's
not "officially" supported.

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On 12 December 2012 14:38, Brad Jorsch <bjorsch@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12 December 2012 14:28, Brad Jorsch <bjorsch@wikimedia.org> wrote:

>>> The enwiki article on MariaDB has claimed MediaWiki "officially"
>>> supports it since October 2012.[1] Perhaps that's a {{citation
>>> needed}}.
>>> [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=519286745

>> I would have thought it would have Just Worked in MediaWiki (the
>> software) for a long time.

> It probably did. But [[mw:Manual:Installation guide]] still says it's
> not "officially" supported.

I expect when it's on more of the cluster someone can announce its
enhanced status here :-)

- d.

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
This is awesome! Is there any write-up of the migration process floating
around?

-Tom

Re: [Ops] mariadb 5.5 in production for english wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On 12 December 2012 15:32, Thomas Fellows <thomas.fellows@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is awesome! Is there any write-up of the migration process floating
> around?

+1

In fact, this would be a nice thing to put on the WMF blog. It'll
certainly get a lot of linkage and reporting around the geekosphere.

- d.