Mailing List Archive

MediaWiki Groups are official: start your own!
MediaWiki Groups are now official - and recognized by the Wikimedia
Affiliations Committee:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/

Who wants to start one?

I just created

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/Proposals/San_Francisco

as a real test of the process and a real example of a local group. Other
local groups are welcome. If you are in San Francisco and you want to be
part of this group add yourself to that page. Any ideas welcome!

Looking at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events there are some local
groups especially welcomed:

* Amsterdam
* Bangalore
* Berlin
* Brussels
* Buenos Aires
* Chennai
* Cologne
* Hong Kong
* Los Angeles
* Paris
* Pune
* San Diego
* Tel Aviv
* Washington DC
... and wherever you are sitting now. :)

The gates for topical groups are also open. I will start pushing one
about Testing / QA, also to test the process with a real example. More
proposals?

Thank you to all the people that provided feedback about the MediaWiki
Groups proposal and especially to

* Federico Leva (alias Nemo), who was especially helpful with his close
marking and attention to detail -
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nemo_bis
* Bence Damokos was a perfect Affiliations Committee chair and helped
fine tuning the proposal to make it fit with the Wikimedia User Groups -
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Bdamokos

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

Re: MediaWiki Groups are official: start your own! [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Quim Gil <qgil@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> MediaWiki Groups are now official - and recognized by the Wikimedia
> Affiliations Committee:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/
>
> Who wants to start one?
>
> I just created
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/Proposals/San_Francisco

I'm actually quite curious to see if there are actually enough MW devs
in a single city (Other then WMF's home town) to form a group.

To be honest though, I kind of feel that if such "groups" were going
to form, they probably would have already. Formality rarely makes
people come together that wouldn't by themselves.

-bawolff

Re: MediaWiki Groups are official: start your own! [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/12 00:44, bawolff wrote:
> I'm actually quite curious to see if there are actually enough MW devs
> in a single city (Other then WMF's home town) to form a group.
>
> To be honest though, I kind of feel that if such "groups" were going
> to form, they probably would have already. Formality rarely makes
> people come together that wouldn't by themselves.
>
> -bawolff

It's possible that some people make one group because they are new and
it'd be cool. So we would have one more group listed. Would it last/be
useful? Who knows.

Re: MediaWiki Groups are official: start your own! [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM, bawolff <bawolff+wn@gmail.com> wrote:

> To be honest though, I kind of feel that if such "groups" were going
> to form, they probably would have already. Formality rarely makes
> people come together that wouldn't by themselves.

Obviously robust MediaWiki Groups won't materialize overnight, but
providing a good structure and encouraging people to participate is
certainly not unwelcome or impossible to pull off. You'd think contributors
to the software platform behind Wikipedia would be less skeptical about the
power of a few committed individuals to grow a community, but I guess
people don't change. ;-)

Steven
Re: MediaWiki Groups are official: start your own! [ In reply to ]
On 12/11/2012 03:44 PM, bawolff wrote:
> I'm actually quite curious to see if there are actually enough MW devs
> in a single city (Other then WMF's home town) to form a group.

"MediaWiki Groups are open to members of different specialties and
levels of expertise. The richer and more diverse the better.
Non-technical users willing to contribute and learn are welcome too!"
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups

This is not about devs alone, but about people interested in all
MediaWiki aspects, like testing fresh software, translating strings,
participating in the UX design of a feature, helping triaging forgotten
bug reports or enhancement requests...

MediaWiki Groups are tools for reaching to new potential community
members. If your starting point is "how many MediaWiki core/extensions
hackers are there in my city" then I recommend you to widen your scope.
Otherwise you are right: it's not even worth starting.

Wikipedia is a big thing globally and there is plenty of tech people
that would be interested in contributing if they would know how or who
to ask around.

One starting point in your city / region would be to check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup , attend the next meetup
and start infiltrating the MediaWiki / tech agenda there. There is no
point in keeping the traditional divide between readers/editors and
tech/coders forever.

> To be honest though, I kind of feel that if such "groups" were going
> to form, they probably would have already. Formality rarely makes
> people come together that wouldn't by themselves.

Time will tell. We are not attempting to convince you. :) As long as
you point to the right URL anybody interested in forming a group and you
attend the activities happening near you, it's all fine.

Re: MediaWiki Groups are official: start your own! [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Quim Gil <qgil@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 03:44 PM, bawolff wrote:
[..]

> One starting point in your city / region would be to check
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup , attend the next meetup and
> start infiltrating the MediaWiki / tech agenda there. There is no point in
> keeping the traditional divide between readers/editors and tech/coders
> forever.

Hey I would if there was one in either of the two cities I currently
live in (University and "home" are in different cities). Heck no city
from either of the two provinces I live in even make it anywhere on
that page. [.before I walk into the whole - you should start one
yourself, I'm much too lazy ;) ]

>> To be honest though, I kind of feel that if such "groups" were going
>> to form, they probably would have already. Formality rarely makes
>> people come together that wouldn't by themselves.
>

> Time will tell. We are not attempting to convince you. :) As long as you
> point to the right URL anybody interested in forming a group and you attend
> the activities happening near you, it's all fine.

By all means, if stuff actually happens I'll be just as happy as the
rest of you :)

--bawolff

Re: MediaWiki Groups are official: start your own! [ In reply to ]
On 11 December 2012 17:14, Quim Gil <qgil@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> MediaWiki Groups are now official - and recognized by the Wikimedia
> Affiliations Committee:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/

There used to be Wiki Wednesdays in London - not just MediaWiki or
Wikipedia - but all sorts of wikis. Mostly corporate users. These
petered out from lack of general interest, though. It surprises me, as
I'd expect a lot of people using MW in London.

- d.

Re: MediaWiki Groups are official: start your own! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:06 AM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> There used to be Wiki Wednesdays in London - not just MediaWiki or
> Wikipedia - but all sorts of wikis. Mostly corporate users. These
> petered out from lack of general interest, though. It surprises me, as
> I'd expect a lot of people using MW in London.
>
> Thank you for mentioning Wiki Wednesday. Wiki Wednesday is a
long-standing institution that seems to have lost popularity over the past
several years.

Socialtext used to promote Wiki Wednesday pretty heavily in the Bay Area
and elsewhere: https://www.socialtext.net/wikiwed/ . Socialtext today is
radically different than it was then, and Wiki Wednesday became much less a
priority for them.

Wiki Wednesday was the first of many such ideas:
http://ashub.blogspot.com/2005/06/tag-tuesday.html

Ward Cunningham is still doing Wiki Wednesday activities today:
http://twitter.com/WardCunningham/status/238315318345347074

On one hand, I think aligning "Mediawiki Groups" with the venerable
tradition of Wiki Wednesday might be worthwhile. Wiki Wednesday is a
concept that already exists, and I think people like Ward would be happy to
see it promoted more than it has been. On the other hand, interest in Wiki
Wednesday has died down in recent years, and that might reflect badly on a
new but similar project.

-Chris