Mailing List Archive

Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>
Date: Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Subject: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?
To: maps-l@lists.wikimedia.org

Hi folks,

it's been a long time coming, but we're finally gearing up for putting
some development effort into an OSM tileservice running in production
to serve Wikimedia sites. This is being driven by the mobile team but
obviously has lots of non-mobile use cases as well, including the
recent Wikivoyage addition to the Wikimedia familiy. This work will
probably not kick off before January/February 2013; before then, the
mobile team is working to finish up the GeoData extension (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Geodata ).

To get broader community involvement and sync up with existing
volunteer efforts in this area, it'd IMO be useful to plan a
face-to-face meetup/hackfest just focused on geodata/mapping related
development work sometime around Feb/March 2013.

WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
options as well.

Cheers,
Erik

--
Erik Möller

Erik Möller

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
> bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
> there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
> Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
> know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
> options as well.

Hi,

Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
organize it around the Wikimedia Conference (the days just before or
just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
Milan).
Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
participating.
We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
get in touch the international community.

Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)

Cristian
WM-IT

[1] http://www.fbk.eu
[2] http://it.dbpedia.org/

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
On 12/20/2012 06:56 AM, Cristian Consonni wrote:
> 2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
>> WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
>> bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
>> there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
>> Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
>> know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
>> options as well.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
> Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
> the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
> FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
> the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
> DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
> They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
> organize it around the Wikimedia Conference (the days just before or
> just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
> this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
> WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
> Milan).
> Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
> sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
> participating.
> We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
> get in touch the international community.
>
> Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)
>
> Cristian
> WM-IT
>
> [1] http://www.fbk.eu
> [2] http://it.dbpedia.org/

Sounds potentially good; the one bit of caution, I think, is that if you
can't have the event happen in March or early April, you will possibly
cause some participants to *choose* between the mapping event and the
late May WMNL hackathon, because they can't take the time to travel to
both so close together.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Amsterdam_Hackathon_2013

Best of luck in the planning!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
On 12/24/2012 06:48 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> On 12/20/2012 06:56 AM, Cristian Consonni wrote:
>> 2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
>>> WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
>>> bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
>>> there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
>>> Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
>>> know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
>>> options as well.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
>> Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
>> the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
>> FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
>> the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
>> DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
>> They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
>> organize it around the Wikimedia Conference (the days just before or
>> just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
>> this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
>> WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
>> Milan).
>> Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
>> sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
>> participating.
>> We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
>> get in touch the international community.
>>
>> Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)
>>
>> Cristian
>> WM-IT
>>
>> [1] http://www.fbk.eu
>> [2] http://it.dbpedia.org/
>
> Sounds potentially good; the one bit of caution, I think, is that if you
> can't have the event happen in March or early April, you will possibly
> cause some participants to *choose* between the mapping event and the
> late May WMNL hackathon, because they can't take the time to travel to
> both so close together.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Amsterdam_Hackathon_2013

Just thinking out loud (or in written form) :)

How many people do you expect in this mapping event?

Wouldn't it be simpler and more convenient to have it together / around
the Amsterdam Hackathon?

I know we said we wouldn't organize this mapping event ourselves, but if
the amount of people is not that big then maybe it can be simply
absorbed by the Hackathon. More critical mass in Amsterdam, more
potentially diverse collaboration, hopefully less travel and CO2.

Just an idea. No complaints if you still prefer to go for the Trento option.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
In Wikimedia Danmark, we have been looking at co-locating the event with
Open Source Days* in March, but unless the OSD organisers get back to us
really soon, I guess we'll back out.

*) http://www.opensourcedays.org/

Regards,
Ole

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 3:48 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah@wikimedia.org

http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588
Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
2012/12/26 Quim Gil <qgil@wikimedia.org>:
> Just thinking out loud (or in written form) :)
>
> How many people do you expect in this mapping event?

Our (Italian) OSM contact extimated around 20 people from the OSM
community, plus the people from the Wikimedia world.

2012/12/25 Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah@wikimedia.org>:
> Sounds potentially good; the one bit of caution, I think, is that if you
> can't have the event happen in March or early April, you will possibly
> cause some participants to *choose* between the mapping event and the
> late May WMNL hackathon, because they can't take the time to travel to
> both so close together.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Amsterdam_Hackathon_2013
>
> Best of luck in the planning!

> Wouldn't it be simpler and more convenient to have it together / around the
> Amsterdam Hackathon?
>
> I know we said we wouldn't organize this mapping event ourselves, but if the
> amount of people is not that big then maybe it can be simply absorbed by the
> Hackathon. More critical mass in Amsterdam, more potentially diverse
> collaboration, hopefully less travel and CO2.
>
> Just an idea. No complaints if you still prefer to go for the Trento option.

Actually these are good points. I started this page in the hope to get
all information in one place:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap/OSM-Wikimedia_event

Add your questions to the page (or if your are looking forward
organizing it, add your info)

Cristian

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
On 12/26/2012 09:38 AM, Cristian Consonni wrote:
> Actually these are good points. I started this page in the hope to get
> all information in one place:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap/OSM-Wikimedia_event

See also http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events/Wikimedia_Mapping_Event_2013

:)

--
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian@gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> > WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
> > bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
> > there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
> > Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
> > know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
> > options as well.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
> Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
> the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
> FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
> the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
> DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
> They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
> organize it around the Wikimedia Conference (the days just before or
> just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
> this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
> WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
> Milan).
> Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
> sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
> participating.
> We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
> get in touch the international community.
>
> Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)

Anyone know if this is happening or not? Sometime around the chapters
meeting seems as good a time as any. Or maybe attached as a few days
before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.

(/me not organizing anything, though)

I think there will be little overlap between attendees of the chapters
meeting and this, whereas I think there's a bit of overlap with the
hackathon. Problem is I am not aware of anyone willing to organize
anything around the hackathon.

Advantage of what Christian proposes is that someone is willing to host and
help organize it. :)

The longer time goes by without picking a date, the more likely people like
me can't come as something else will come up and then they are busy.

Cheers,
Katie

@wikimediadc / @wikidata