There is a lot of material in the videos which could be edited and used to
improve Wikipedia article (a solar kettle in operation, a maize plant
grinding maize, a variety of musical instruments in use, different
religious festivals, cocoa plantations etc etc)

However at present Wikipedia does not seem to support or want video
material.

Does anyone have a feel whether this is likely to change?

Andrew
Re: Release of educational videos under creative commons [ In reply to ]
2012/4/24 Andrew Cates <andrew.cates@soschildren.org>

> I am wondering about releasing many hundreds of Africa educational videos
> under creative commons.
>
> They are the videos currently at www.our-africa.org which is a child
> generated reference site about Africa.
>
> There is a lot of material in the videos which could be edited and used to
> improve Wikipedia article (a solar kettle in operation, a maize plant
> grinding maize, a variety of musical instruments in use, different
> religious festivals, cocoa plantations etc etc)
>
> However at present Wikipedia does not seem to support or want video
> material.

Wikipedia supports video with [[Media:]] tag. Also, Wikimedia Commons has a
little collection of them https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Video

> Does anyone have a feel whether this is likely to change?

http://www.videoonwikipedia.com

Also, this message is more related to Wikimedia or Commons mailing lists
(cc:). If you are the owner of those videos and you want to donate them,
some people can help you in the process.

> Andrew

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/
Re: Release of educational videos under creative commons [ In reply to ]
On 24 April 2012 13:26, emijrp <emijrp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, this message is more related to Wikimedia or Commons mailing lists
> (cc:). If you are the owner of those videos and you want to donate them,
> some people can help you in the process.

Well, not really - uploading video is still laborious because we've
been waiting literally years for the Timed Media Handler, which is a
wikitech issue. Andrew could probably deal with the ffmpeg2theora bit,
but it's still faffy and troublesome.

- d.