Founding Principal, VarnEnt
@GregVarnum
fb.com/GregVarnum
Re: 2012 Q1 Extension Page Review Drive [ In reply to ]
On 21 January 2012 05:21, Gregory Varnum <gregory.varnum@gmail.com> wrote:
> WikiProject Extensions is presenting our first ever "Extension Page Review Drive" - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:WikiProject_Extensions/Projects/Page_Drive

I'm not convinced that the practice of listing all hooks used by the
extension in the extension page is useful. It's bound to be always
outdated and seems a lot of work for little benefit.

Apart from that I updated one of my extensions and will probably do
few others :)

-Niklas
--
Niklas Laxström

Re: 2012 Q1 Extension Page Review Drive [ In reply to ]
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:39:20 +0200
> From: Niklas Laxstr?m <niklas.laxstrom@gmail.com>
> To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] 2012 Q1 Extension Page Review Drive
>
> On 21 January 2012 05:21, Gregory Varnum <gregory.varnum@gmail.com> wrote:
> > WikiProject Extensions is presenting our first ever "Extension Page Review Drive" - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:WikiProject_Extensions/Projects/Page_Drive
>
> I'm not convinced that the practice of listing all hooks used by the
> extension in the extension page is useful. It's bound to be always
> outdated and seems a lot of work for little benefit.
>
> Apart from that I updated one of my extensions and will probably do
> few others :)
>
> -Niklas
> --
> Niklas Laxstr?m

Personally I can of like it when extensions list their hooks. The
extension gets sorted into categories based on that. From there its
easy to see:
*Typical ways extensions use that hook (useful if you plan to modify
something related to that hook. OTOH no replacement for just grepping
through all the extensions)
*Roughly how popular that hook is
*A lot of places to find examples of how to use such a hook (useful if
you're a newbie)

Of course for things like FlaggedRevs with 2 million hooks, that
starts to become impractical.

-bawolff

Re: 2012 Q1 Extension Page Review Drive [ In reply to ]
On 01/20/2012 07:21 PM, Gregory Varnum wrote:
> WikiProject Extensions is presenting our first ever "Extension Page
> Review Drive" -
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:WikiProject_Extensions/Projects/Page_Drive
>
> Several extension pages are long overdue for review. Many are
> lacking the appropriate tags, both header and within the
> extensions, which cause confusion for other developers and
> sysadmins. In addition to time wasted on bad installations, there
> is also time wasted by other developers providing tech support to
> these bad installations. This will also help with future drives
> reviewing actual code of extensions (although you're welcome to do
> thorough code review during this drive if you'd like) and moving
> extensions based in wikicode to the code repository.
>
> The goal is to review as many of the pages as possible during the
> 1st quarter of this calendar year (so by March 31st). We've just
> officially started this and already 1% done. :)
>
> During this drive, all extension pages are marked with an
> additional category. These will be removed once the drive is
> completed. Page drive specific template modifications and wikicode
> will also be removed upon the page drive's completion.
>
> Any interested participants are welcome to sign on as a participant
> on:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:WikiProject_Extensions/Projects/Page_Drive
>
> Feel free to email me with any questions or feedback. :)
>
> -greg aka varnent
>

> ------- Gregory Varnum

Greg, now that we're halfway through this drive and 1 month from its
end date, I have a few questions:

* Given that we're at 5.5% completion, how about reaching out to the
Wikipedia Signpost, the mwusers.com fora, and the mediawiki-l list to
ask for more participation?
* Is this an effort that you think a smart layperson could help with,
even if s/he hasn't worked with MediaWiki before?
* In your experience, about how long does it take to review and update
a single extension page?

Thanks for leading this!
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

Re: 2012 Q1 Extension Page Review Drive [ In reply to ]
I am likely going to reword so it's more "pre-Wikimania".

It takes about 2-5 minutes a page if you've got the right pages open for copying and paste, etc. Assuming its not a painfully flawed page. :)

It helps to have a working knowledge of MW - but nothing too advanced. We need to review code on extensions at some point as well. But my thinking is this drive will help make that effort more digestible by flagging obvious candidates (wiki in code for example) or archiving otherwise waste of devo's time. :)

My hunch is the drive will draw out any real surprises we may have overlooked was lurking within extension pages on mw.org... I've found some random spam lingering from pre-review days.

With WikiQueer launch done, I'm back on some of these again. :)

-Greg

Sent from my iPhone. Apologies for any typos. A more detailed response may be sent later.