--
all communication to and from this person will be subject to public availability

public password: 17stovner
Re: suboptimal sharing interface [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:52, Halvor <a22112216@yahoo.com> wrote:
> When sharing a wiki article on Facebook I get to choose which of the available images I want to illustrate the link with. However, when the sharing occurs within a comment that option isn't there, and the same image is selected universally.
>
> http://imagebin.org/193512
>
> Is there some way to configure which image is picked by the sharing sites? And could this be e.g. the first image within the article as opposed to the staple background structure?

FYI, slightly related: "zh-tw still gives simplified Chinese in link
titles on Facebook and Google" <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/31838>

-Jeremy

Re: suboptimal sharing interface [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:52:38 -0800, Halvor <a22112216@yahoo.com> wrote:

> When sharing a wiki article on Facebook I get to choose which of the
> available images I want to illustrate the link with. However, when the
> sharing occurs within a comment that option isn't there, and the same
> image is selected universally.
>
> http://imagebin.org/193512
>
> Is there some way to configure which image is picked by the sharing
> sites? And could this be e.g. the first image within the article as
> opposed to the staple background structure?
>
> Halvor

OpenGraphMeta adds og: metadata that'll improve the information Facebook
uses. Though the image implementation could use an update.

Though in this case it almost looks like a screw-up of Facebook's own
fault. Their documentation states that "The image must be at least 50px by
50px and have a maximum aspect ratio of 3:1.", and that image is 31px in
height, not 50px.