Someone asked me about LiquidThreads and I pointed them to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/LiquidThreads_3.0 only to realize that the
current timeline on that page reads "August 2011".

Is there an updated status for LiquidThreads? I vaguely recall some e-mail
saying it wasn't going to be a priority in 2012, but I don't really
remember. If someone knows and could update this list or that page, that'd
be awesome.

MZMcBride

Re: LiquidThreads status [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM, MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Someone asked me about LiquidThreads and I pointed them to
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/LiquidThreads_3.0 only to realize that the
> current timeline on that page reads "August 2011".
>
> Is there an updated status for LiquidThreads? I vaguely recall some e-mail
> saying it wasn't going to be a priority in 2012, but I don't really
> remember. If someone knows and could update this list or that page, that'd
> be awesome.

I know we *want* to prioritize it, with a basic plan that looks roughly
like:
* design a global notification system for it to hook into [1]
* strip a lot of stuff down
* build it back up but more awesome

[1] I've got some draft notes on low-level notification frameworks up at <
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Notification_framework>
and Brandon's currently working on some UX designs. We had a nice chat with
Wikia folks recently about their 'message wall' system which internally is
similar to many parts of LQT, but has a nicer notification experience, and
hope to steal some ideas from there (though we probably can't take
implementation easily as a lot of their code is mixed up with other
extensions).

As for dates and how many / which devs will be assigned to it I can't say,
but it all ties in with just about every other "new editor retention"
project. (For instance MoodBar's comments need a better way to get replies
and notify the original poster about it.)

-- brion
Re: LiquidThreads status [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Brion Vibber <bvibber@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> As for dates and how many / which devs will be assigned to it I can't say,
> but it all ties in with just about every other "new editor retention"
> project. (For instance MoodBar's comments need a better way to get replies
> and notify the original poster about it.)

Absolutely. We're currently wrapping up work on the feedback
dashboard, which will then go into maintenance mode for a while. After
that (probably ~mid-January) we'll tackle the new page creation /
triage work that we've committed to do.

We had originally planned to handle identity (user profiles /
surfacing basic reputational info) as the next big area of work. But
my bias is to re-jiggle that and tackle messaging/notifications next,
because as you say it factors into so many problems, including what
we've done so far with the FB dashboard, as well as bottom-up efforts
by the community to recruit and help new users.

This may mean building on the LQT codebase, but there are probably
some quick wins in notification that we can get without going all the
way.

"Next" though would likely still mean no sooner than March/April. Any
help is as always appreciated.

Erik
--
Erik Möller

Re: LiquidThreads status [ In reply to ]
On 3 January 2012 23:15, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> "Next" though would likely still mean no sooner than March/April. Any
> help is as always appreciated.

You say that help is always appreciated, and I think that, *in general*, it
is; but with regard to specific projects, particularly where there's a lot
of WMF staff involvement, I'm not entirely convinced. I've been explicitly
*dis*couraged from taking a stab at projects because they were 'on the
list' of staff todos (one, ironically, Andrew's project for *after* LQT...
:-D ). Unless you give volunteer devs more detail about what they *can*
productively do that won't be duplicated or wasted effort, I doubt anyone
will be able to do very much useful towards this (or any other) project.

Perhaps this, as something that a *lot* of people from everywhere on the
spectrum care about and would probably be enthusiastic to work towards, is
a good opportunity to try a more structured approach towards parceling out
work? Publicise clearly whatever specification is currently floating
around the office (or take the time *now* to define it if it's not
already); make it clear what work needs to be done, and especially what
would make a good isolated module; and then come back in April and see if
anything has materialised that you can use? If nothing useful has been
done, you've wasted no time or effort, just rescheduled it a bit; if good
work has been done then you've accelerated the project; and if work has
been done but it doesn't fit with what the staff produce, then you know
that the enthusiasm is there but that you need to work on your
communication for the next project.

--HM