Mailing List Archive

Front-end devs needed to fix MediaWiki 1.18 release blockers
Hi folks,

Here's the list of release blockers for 1.18:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?resolution=---&target_milestone=1.18.0%20release

...with summaries below. Basically, we're down to two bugs. Could we
get some front end development love here?

==========================
WikiEditor scrolls the browser and does not insert on IE8 on Windows 7
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/32241

Reported November 7, but repro'd on three different machines. This
seems like a problem we should also be fixing in deployment.

==========================
Unable to add/remove buttons from (classic) toolbar from a gadget
after MW update
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/31511

It's actually not clear to me that this should be a 1.18 release
blocker. It's a problem that seems to have occurred in some form on
1.17, and as Roan says: "It seems the old toolbar's interface for
adding buttons depends on loading
order too much. The WikiEditor toolbar's interface is a bit better in
this regard, but not much. These interfaces should be redesigned such
that the loading order either doesn't matter or must be
toolbar-first-gadget-later (so the gadget can depend on the toolbar
and force the order to be that way), and such that adding, removing
and modifying buttons at any location in the toolbar is supported."

This seems like an architectural issue that isn't going to get solved
in the time that we'd like to get 1.18 finished off, so if others
agree, the simple fix may be "put it in the release notes". Let's
either agree on this, or agree on a plan for fixing this.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Front-end devs needed to fix MediaWiki 1.18 release blockers [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Unable to add/remove buttons from (classic) toolbar from a gadget
> after MW update
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/31511
>
> It's actually not clear to me that this should be a 1.18 release
> blocker. It's a problem that seems to have occurred in some form on
> 1.17,

This definitely shouldn't block 1.18.

-- brion
Re: Front-end devs needed to fix MediaWiki 1.18 release blockers [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> WikiEditor scrolls the browser and does not insert on IE8 on Windows 7
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/32241
>
> Reported November 7, but repro'd on three different machines. This
> seems like a problem we should also be fixing in deployment.

I'll see if I can reproduce this... my Windows 7 VM has had IE9 installed
since it came out, though, so don't know how hard it'll be to get IE8.

-- brion
Re: Front-end devs needed to fix MediaWiki 1.18 release blockers [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> WikiEditor scrolls the browser and does not insert on IE8 on Windows 7
>> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/32241
>>
>> Reported November 7, but repro'd on three different machines. This
>> seems like a problem we should also be fixing in deployment.
>>

> I'll see if I can reproduce this... my Windows 7 VM has had IE9 installed
> since it came out, though, so don't know how hard it'll be to get IE8.

WikiEditor not enabled:
* Windows XP SP 3 with IE 6

No problems if window is tall enough to fit the entire textarea at initial
scroll position:
* Windows XP SP3 with IE 7
* Windows XP SP3 with IE 8
* Windows 7 with IE 8
* Windows 7 with IE 9

If window not tall enough: first click scrolls down, second click inserts
'''Bold''' at an unexpected position:
* Windows XP SP3 with IE 7
* Windows XP SP3 with IE 8
* Windows 7 with IE 8

If window not tall enough: first click does cause scroll, but sets the
focus and cursor where we expect it; second click inserts '''Bold''' at
caret position at start of page:
* Windows 7 with IE 9

Looks like WikiEditor on 1.17 had about the same behavior (though
significantly worse, as the 'window tall enough' cases still didn't work
consistently).

The worst case seems to come if your window just isn't big enough to fit
the textarea at all -- then even when focused in there things break.

-- brion
Re: Front-end devs needed to fix MediaWiki 1.18 release blockers [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> writes:

> Looks like WikiEditor on 1.17 had about the same behavior (though
> significantly worse, as the 'window tall enough' cases still didn't work
> consistently).

I've removed https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/32241 from the "1.18.0
release" milestone as a result.

Thanks for such thorough testing, Brion!

Mark