Mailing List Archive

1.18 code review status
Hi everyone,

Thank you everyone involved for getting the review queue down as low
as it is. As it stands, we have 82 new revisions to review, and 57
fixmes:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap/1.18/Revision_report

Back on August 18, we had 171 new revisions to review and 59 fixmes.
If you start there an plot linearly to release, that means reviewing
7-8 new revisions per day, and fixing an average of 2 fixmes per day
to just barely be done on September 16. Needless to say, we're doing
great on the new revisions, but the fixmes are a bit of a problem.

Even accounting for the fact that fixmes are being added as a result
of the rapid rate of new revision fixing, we're still not fixing the
fixmes fast enough. Between August 18 and now, we've netted 2
revisions, by fixing 9 fixmes, and adding 7 more. That's only fixing
the fixmes at a rate of 1.5 a day, which won't get us there even if we
don't add any more fixmes. Given the fact that reviewing 89 revisions
yielded 7 new fixmes, it's reasonable to expect that 5-10% of the
remaining new revisions will become new fixmes, which will add 4-8 new
fixmes before we're done.

So, please take a look at the fixme list (especially if you are one of
the committers involved) and do what you can to reduce our load.

Thanks!
Rob

Re: 1.18 code review status [ In reply to ]
On 24/08/11 19:29, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Thank you everyone involved for getting the review queue down as low
> as it is. As it stands, we have 82 new revisions to review, and 57
> fixmes:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap/1.18/Revision_report

The most worrying is the Math system which uses a language most
developers do not know: Objective CAML.

It is great to have someone working on Math, but it will be hard to get
him reviewed :(
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/tag/math

--
Ashar Voultoiz

Re: 1.18 code review status [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Ashar Voultoiz <hashar+wmf@free.fr> wrote:

> The most worrying is the Math system which uses a language most
> developers do not know: Objective CAML.
>
> It is great to have someone working on Math, but it will be hard to get
> him reviewed :(
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/tag/math

What that really needs is test cases!

Not sure how easy to wrangle though...

-- brion
Re: 1.18 code review status [ In reply to ]
On 28/08/11 03:20, Brion Vibber wrote:
> What that really needs is test cases!
>
> Not sure how easy to wrangle though...

OCaml has an implementation for unit testing. I have spend a bit of time
on it and eventually gave up since:
- I lack Ocaml skill.
- our math code is not commented

The testing suite I tried was OUnit:
http://ounit.forge.ocamlcore.org/

We might want to have a look at it again. I will try to get some
university contacts to have a look at it, some of them know about those
academics languages (lisp, caml, ada ...). Nothing granted though.

--
Ashar Voultoiz

Re: 1.18 code review status [ In reply to ]
On 28/08/11 17:49, Ashar Voultoiz wrote:
> On 28/08/11 03:20, Brion Vibber wrote:
>> What that really needs is test cases!
>>
>> Not sure how easy to wrangle though...
>
> OCaml has an implementation for unit testing. I have spend a bit of time
> on it and eventually gave up since:
> - I lack Ocaml skill.
> - our math code is not commented
>
> The testing suite I tried was OUnit:
> http://ounit.forge.ocamlcore.org/
>
> We might want to have a look at it again. I will try to get some
> university contacts to have a look at it, some of them know about those
> academics languages (lisp, caml, ada ...). Nothing granted though.

We could do black-box testing.
Just launch texvc repeatedly with different inputs.

Re: 1.18 code review status [ In reply to ]
I stopped into #ocaml on FreeNode and got a volunteer to give the NEW
commits in http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/tag/math
a review. S/he signed off on almost all of them. So that's progress.

Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation

Re: 1.18 code review status [ In reply to ]
On 30/08/11 22:15, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> I stopped into #ocaml on FreeNode and got a volunteer to give the NEW
> commits in http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/tag/math
> a review. S/he signed off on almost all of them. So that's progress.

That is a good idea :-)

--
Ashar Voultoiz