Wikipedia is actively edited. GLAM institutions are increasingly
interested in "digital curation" and I've sometimes displayed the IRC
activity at workshops to demonstrate the sheer number of people (and
bots) that are actively engaged in improving the content there...with
the hopes of making the Wikipedia platform part of their curation
strategy.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in any feedback you might have about wikistream.

//Ed

Re: wikistream: displays wikipedia updates in realtime [ In reply to ]
Very cool.
In presentations I usually show the RC, and the click again after few
seconds, to show the amount of edits: but this is far better.
Thank you.

Aubrey

Re: wikistream: displays wikipedia updates in realtime [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:
> I've been looking to experiment with node.js lately and created a
> little toy webapp that displays updates from the major language
> wikipedias in real time:
>
>    http://wikistream.inkdroid.org

Visiting that URL yields:

An error has occurred: {"stack":"Error: ECONNREFUSED, Connection
refused\n at Socket._onConnect (net.js:602:18)\n at
IOWatcher.onWritable [as callback]
(net.js:186:12)","message":"ECONNREFUSED, Connection
refused","errno":111,"code":"ECONNREFUSED","syscall":"connect"}

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: wikistream: displays wikipedia updates in realtime [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:

> I've been looking to experiment with node.js lately and created a
> little toy webapp that displays updates from the major language
> wikipedias in real time:
>
> http://wikistream.inkdroid.org

That's pretty cool -- and having the source all ready to be shared on github
is *super* cool. :D Having good starting points for other people to build
real-time displays and visualizations on can be a big help in jumpstarting
some really cool innovation.

I'd love to see some more active visualization that also include images, and
if it's possible to show interactions between multiple people working on the
same pages that could be super killer. :)

As noted in this thread already, use of flags to represent languages can be
problematic -- there's a nice overview of the issues here:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html On the other hand, flags can be a
fine way to represent 'country of origin' in visualizations/reports that
estimate where edits are being made from based on IP address etc -- so keep
em in mind!

-- brion
Re: wikistream: displays wikipedia updates in realtime [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> That's pretty cool -- and having the source all ready to be shared on github
> is *super* cool. :D Having good starting points for other people to build
> real-time displays and visualizations on can be a big help in jumpstarting
> some really cool innovation.

Thanks!

> I'd love to see some more active visualization that also include images, and
> if it's possible to show interactions between multiple people working on the
> same pages that could be super killer. :)

By images did you mean images uploaded to the commons, or hitting the
API to get an image associated with the page? Or both? I like that
idea of showing interactions between people working on the same pages.
Since I'm already using redis this might not be too hard to do. I'll
have to think about it a little. I also liked SJ's idea of a three
column display: all edits, edits >= +-100 characters, edits >= +-1000
characters. Although I'm not sure about the delay part.

> As noted in this thread already, use of flags to represent languages can be
> problematic -- there's a nice overview of the issues here:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html  On the other hand, flags can be a
> fine way to represent 'country of origin' in visualizations/reports that
> estimate where edits are being made from based on IP address etc -- so keep
> em in mind!

Ok, I've switched to using the character language code, and increased
the number of language channels it is monitoring to 36.

//Ed

Re: wikistream: displays wikipedia updates in realtime [ In reply to ]
> Ok, I've switched to using the character language code, and increased
> the number of language channels it is monitoring to 36.

This is great!

Can you please put titles of articles in right-to-left languages (ar,
fa, ur, he) in <span dir="rtl">TITLE</span>? Thank you!

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore