Mailing List Archive

Announcing OpenStackManager extension
For the past month or so I've been working on an extension to manage
OpenStack (Nova), for use on the Wikimedia Foundation's upcoming
virtualization cluster:

http://ryandlane.com/blog/2011/01/02/building-a-test-and-development-infrastructure-using-openstack/

I've gotten to a point where I believe the extension is ready for an
initial release.

In brief, OpenStack works a lot like EC2, and in fact implements the
EC2 API. This extension interacts with the EC2 API and LDAP, to manage
a virtual machine infrastructure. It has the following features:

* Integrates with the LdapAuthentication extension, and creates user
accounts in LDAP upon user creation
** Users created with a posix username, uid, and gid; home directory;
openstack credentials; and wiki credentials
* Manages most features of OpenStack
** Handles project creation/deletion, and membership
** Handles project and global role membership
** Handles instance creation/deletion
** Handles security group creation/deletion and rule addition/removal
** Handles floating IP address allocation and association with instances
** Handles public SSH key addition/removal from user accounts
* Manages DNS via PowerDNS with an LDAP backend
** Handles private DNS for private IP address ranges upon instance
creation and deletion
** Handles public DNS for floating IP addresses
* Manages Puppet configuration for instances via Puppet with an LDAP
backend for nodes

The extension was written to handle the case explained in my blog
post. It is likely not written in a generic enough way to fit into
most existing infrastructures currently. If you'd like to help make
the extension more useful for a wider audience, please contact me,
send patches, or if you have commit access, make modifications. I have
a test/dev environment for this project configured on tesla, if you'd
like to work in a pre-configured environment.

The extension page is here:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenStackManager

Respectfully,

Ryan Lane

Re: Announcing OpenStackManager extension [ In reply to ]
I just wanted to add my $0.02 here... Ryan demo'ed this at the West
Coast Wiki Conference under the heading "The site infrastructure that
*you* can edit".

He presented it as a way to bring volunteers back into ops, by giving
them the power to create and test complex configurations without
affecting live deployments.

I'm not an ops person but this looked very cool to me.

Neil Kandalgaonkar (| <neilk@wikimedia.org>

Re: Announcing OpenStackManager extension [ In reply to ]
Ryan Lane wrote:
> For the past month or so I've been working on an extension to manage
> OpenStack (Nova), for use on the Wikimedia Foundation's upcoming
> virtualization cluster:
>
> http://ryandlane.com/blog/2011/01/02/building-a-test-and-development-infrastructure-using-openstack/
>
> I've gotten to a point where I believe the extension is ready for an
> initial release.

Congratulations, Ryan!