Mailing List Archive

1.17 branched
You probably noticed, or heard in advance that it would happen, but I
figured I'd announce it anyway: 1.17 was branched today. The branch is
in /branches/REL1_17 and the branch point is r77974.

When you commit or find a revision post-r77974 that you feel should be
in 1.17 (bugfixes, typically, no new features), tag it with "1.17" in
CodeReview. Please do this even if you're not afraid of SVN merging,
so we can merge stuff in batches and keep the commit noise down.
Nothing has been merged yet, although a few things seem to have been
tagged already.

When you find something pre-r77974 that you think should be backed out
of 1.17 (i.e. reverted in the branch), tag it with "revert1.17". This
shouldn't happen very often, so feel free to do this yourself if you
know how. The only thing that's been backed out so far is a
refactoring of the skin system in r77893.

After merging/reverting, the tag should be removed.

I'd also like to call upon everyone to help out with code review. Of
course not everyone feels comfortable reviewing everything, but by all
means review what you feel comfortable reviewing. Even if you're not
an experienced reviewer/developer and only review trivial changes or
changes to one specific component you're familiar with, you're taking
work out of the hands of other reviewers.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: 1.17 branched [ In reply to ]
2010/12/7 Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw@gmail.com>:
> When you commit or find a revision post-r77974 that you feel should be
> in 1.17 (bugfixes, typically, no new features), tag it with "1.17" in
> CodeReview.
It's been pointed out on IRC that you need to be in the coder group on
mediawiki.org to be able to do this. If you're not in that group but
are a committer or otherwise well-known and in good standing, just ask
for it. Anyone who's already a coder can promote others (it's viral!).

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: 1.17 branched [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's been pointed out on IRC that you need to be in the coder group on
> mediawiki.org to be able to do this. If you're not in that group but
> are a committer or otherwise well-known and in good standing, just ask
> for it. Anyone who's already a coder can promote others (it's viral!).
>
> Roan Kattouw (Catrope)
And if you can't find anyone to do it on IRC (which will/should be
rare), just drop a note at Project:Requests on mediawiki.org
requesting it and someone will do it.
-Peachey

Re: 1.17 branched [ In reply to ]
2010/12/7 Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw@gmail.com>:
> I'd also like to call upon everyone to help out with code review.
Another addendum inspired by IRC chatter: not just MediaWiki core
needs to be reviewed, extensions deployed on WMF wikis need review
too. So if you happen to be familiar with the code of one of those,
your help is appreciated as well.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: 1.17 branched [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you commit or find a revision post-r77974 that you feel should be
> in 1.17 (bugfixes, typically, no new features), tag it with "1.17" in
> CodeReview.

Also note that if you MFT a 1.18 revision to 1.16wmf4, you should also
tag it as 1.17 or backport it to 1.17, or your change might get lost
when we eventually update to 1.17wmf1

Bryan