Mailing List Archive

Draft plan for 1.17 branch next week (Code review and making it to 1.17)
Hi everyone,

On IRC, Trevor lead the charge "to Etherpad!", and some of us
followed. This was the result:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap/1.17

This is an aggressive plan, starting with branching for 1.17 early
next week. It is by no means official; Tim and Mark H are both named,
but neither have weighed in, so don't take this as "the plan", but as
a proposal for discussion here.

Rob

Re: Draft plan for 1.17 branch next week (Code review and making it to 1.17) [ In reply to ]
Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> On IRC, Trevor lead the charge "to Etherpad!", and some of us
> followed. This was the result:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_roadmap/1.17
>
> This is an aggressive plan, starting with branching for 1.17 early
> next week. It is by no means official; Tim and Mark H are both named,
> but neither have weighed in, so don't take this as "the plan", but as
> a proposal for discussion here.
>
> Rob

It's nice having a plan. But I wonder who will assign those "engineering
resources"? And what will they be unassigned from?

Regarding the "Release manager" section, I have no problem aiding with
merging (that is, provided I'm comfortable with the fix itself :) but I
don't think that's something reserved to a few RM. Rather, if something
is a bugfix affecting the branch, the commiter should backport it
himself (or tag as 1.17, and delay the MFT until it gets reviewed).

We can't assume that any bugfix will be seen and cherrypicked as
appropiate (even with more than one person doing that work).

Re: Draft plan for 1.17 branch next week (Code review and making it to 1.17) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/12/4 Robert Leverington <robert@rhl.me.uk>:
>> It is unclear to me whether the plan is to branch from the latest
>> reviewed code or trunk HEAD
> This was kind of overlooked by everyone in that discussion :(

The latest fully reviewed code is like February or March 2010, so I
think everybody was assuming HEAD.

Bryan

Re: Draft plan for 1.17 branch next week (Code review and making it to 1.17) [ In reply to ]
2010/12/5 Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw@gmail.com>:
> The picture might look
> different for WMF-enabled extensions, I'll have stats on them
> tomorrow.

Full stats at http://toolserver.org/~catrope/crstats . Key figures:
* There are 762 unreviewed revisions in phase3 (phase3-statuses.html).
41 of these are in the r776* and r777* series (past 200 revs), the
rest are clustered more or less randomly
* There are 1620 unreviewed revisions in WMF-deployed code. These seem
to be a bit more clustered towards recent revisions.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)