Mailing List Archive

Geoiplookup
Hi there.

What is http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org/ and how is it used in the
wikipedia articles? I haven't seen this subdomain loading until
recently.

Thanks,
Strainu

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Re: Geoiplookup [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Strainu <strainu10@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> What is http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org/ and how is it used in the
> wikipedia articles? I haven't seen this subdomain loading until
> recently.
>

It's a IP-to-location lookup service[0]. The only thing I know it's
being used on is for targeting the country-specific donation
information.

-Chad

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_software

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Re: Geoiplookup [ In reply to ]
2010/11/3 Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Strainu <strainu10@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there.
>>
>> What is http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org/ and how is it used in the
>> wikipedia articles? I haven't seen this subdomain loading until
>> recently.
>>
>
> It's a IP-to-location lookup service[0]. The only thing I know it's
> being used on is for targeting the country-specific donation
> information.
>
> -Chad
>
> [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_software
>

Thanks Chad. I'm interested in some more informations about that,
especially how does this relates to the Privacy policy.

Is the information stored anywhere? Is there any way to opt-out of
this? Is there another service used for this project (I'm thinking
Google Latitude, but there are others)?

Thanks,
Strainu

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Re: Geoiplookup [ In reply to ]
> Thanks Chad. I'm interested in some more informations about that,
> especially how does this relates to the Privacy policy.
>
> Is the information stored anywhere? Is there any way to opt-out of
> this? Is there another service used for this project (I'm thinking
> Google Latitude, but there are others)?
>

From a privacy POV, it doesn't really affect anything. It isn't
currently being stored anywhere, and is information that could
accessed by other means. Every site you visit, including Wikimedia
sites, could determine this info without doing it via this method,
it's just easier for us to pull this way.

This isn't being used by any third-party tools, and is only currently
being used for donation banner information as far as I know. It is
being used to show more relevant banners to your area. There isn't any
way to explicitly opt-out, but you could block the domain, or block
the javascript that is being used. That said, there isn't anything to
gain by blocking this.

Respectfully,

Ryan Lane

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Re: Geoiplookup [ In reply to ]
2010/11/3 Strainu <strainu10@gmail.com>:
> Thanks Chad. I'm interested in some more informations about that,
> especially how does this relates to the Privacy policy.
>
> Is the information stored anywhere?
All geoip does is look at your IP address and do a database lookup to
translate it to your rough location. In the US this is usually fairly
accurate (closest major city in most cases I've seen), in other parts
of the world not so much, which is why the fundraising folks are only
useing it for per-country targeting, because we're pretty sure geoip
produces the correct country code for a given IP. To see what geoip
makes of your location, simply visit http://geoip.wikimedia.org .

Becasue geoip determines your probable location based only on your IP
address, there are no additional privacy implications. Anyone who
knows your IP address can run it through a geoip database (I don't
think geoip.wm.o allows querying arbitrary IPs, but there's plenty of
other such services out there) and find out the rough location it
corresponds to. That means any questions regarding privacy of location
fall back to privacy of IP, and that's something we already have a
well-established policy for.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Re: Geoiplookup [ In reply to ]
Roan Kattouw wrote:
> To see what geoip makes of your location, simply visit
> http://geoip.wikimedia.org .

You mean http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org/

MZMcBride



_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l