Mailing List Archive

New installer is here
Good afternoon,

In r75437, r75438[0][1] I moved the old installer to old-index.php
and moved the new to index.php. At this stage in the process,
I don't see us backing this out before we branch 1.17. I really
want people to test it out and report any major breakages [2].

This has been a long development process for almost 2 years
now, and I'd like to thank Max, Mark H., Jure, Jeroen, Roan
and Siebrand for their invaluable help in working on this. And
especially thanks to Tim for starting the project and providing
feedback, as always. There is a *lot* of code in includes/installer,
and I'd like to highlight some of the major changes that you'll
need to know.

Database updaters: They have been moved from the gigantic
file in maintenance/updaters.inc (patchfiles still go in the same
place though). Each supported DB type has a class that needs
to subclass DatabaseUpdater. The format's very similar, only
it's operating on methods in the classes instead of global functions.
The globals $wgExtNewTables, etc. are retained for back compat
and will be for quite some time. However, you can pass more
advanced callbacks since the LoadExtensionSchemaUpdates
hook now passes the DatabaseUpdater subclass as a param.

DB2 and MSSQL have been dropped from the installer. The
implementations are far from complete and I'm not comfortable
advertising their use yet.

Other known issues:
- Some UI quirks still exist, but work is coming here
- Postgres and Oracle are *almost* done
- Stuff listed on mw.org[2]

-Chad

[0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/75437
[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/75438
[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New-installer_issues

Re: New installer is here [ In reply to ]
2010/10/26 Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com>:
> Good afternoon,
>
> In r75437, r75438[0][1] I moved the old installer to old-index.php
> and moved the new to index.php. At this stage in the process,
> I don't see us backing this out before we branch 1.17. I really
> want people to test it out and report any major breakages [2].

Congratulations. :-) It looks great.

A few quick notes:

1) On the admin/site name screen at least, when both aren't supplied,
it only shows the error messages, not the form below. This may be a
general issue with the form validation.
Screenshot: http://tinypic.com/r/2po9vh0/7

2) Checkbox alignment in general is a bit off, at least in Chrome, e.g.:
http://tinypic.com/r/655n5x/7

3) for the "Extensions" section, I would suggest adding a more visible
warning: "Warning: Most extensions require additional configuration
beyond this step. Installing unreviewed extensions may expose your
wiki to security vulnerabilities." I know the Help already explains
the first point, but the simple installer may suggest to the user that
ticking a checkbox is all that's required.

4) It'd be great if we could change the design to Vector :-). In
general it could use a bit more UI love -- perhaps Brandon will have
time to take a quick look.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: New installer is here [ In reply to ]
2010/10/26 Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>:
> A few quick notes:

And, sorry for duplicating stuff from the known issues list.

Re: New installer is here [ In reply to ]
I am on ALL of these things, actually. I have fixes for most of them
pending.

Re: New installer is here [ In reply to ]
2010/10/26 Brandon Harris <bharris@wikimedia.org>:

>        I am on ALL of these things, actually.  I have fixes for most of them
> pending.

Awesome :-)

Re: New installer is here [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> This has been a long development process for almost 2 years
> now, and I'd like to thank Max, Mark H., Jure, Jeroen, Roan
> and Siebrand for their invaluable help in working on this. And
> especially thanks to Tim for starting the project and providing
> feedback, as always. There is a *lot* of code in includes/installer,
> and I'd like to highlight some of the major changes that you'll
> need to know.

My hat is off to you, sirs! You guys have put a lot of great work into this
-- absolutely blows away the old installer, that's for dang sure! Looks like
1.17 is going to be an awesome release... I feel like a proud grandpappy
getting the chance to see you guys' work shine... :)

-- brion
Re: New installer is here [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> In r75437, r75438[0][1] I moved the old installer to old-index.php
> and moved the new to index.php. At this stage in the process,
> I don't see us backing this out before we branch 1.17. I really
> want people to test it out and report any major breakages [2].

:D

--
Andrew Garrett
http://werdn.us/

Re: New installer is here [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> This has been a long development process for almost 2 years
> now, and I'd like to thank Max, Mark H., Jure, Jeroen, Roan
> and Siebrand for their invaluable help in working on this. And
> especially thanks to Tim for starting the project and providing
> feedback, as always. There is a *lot* of code in includes/installer,
> and I'd like to highlight some of the major changes that you'll
> need to know.

This is fantastic work. Great job everyone involved!

Rob