Mailing List Archive

Attention MediaWiki Hackers!
(sending to main tech lists, crossposted to Tech Blog[0], feel free to forward
anywhere else you'd like)

Greetings MediaWiki hackers!

I am pleased to announce the upcoming MediaWiki Hack-A-Ton in Washington, DC.

As you are all aware, every year in April our good friends at
Wikimedia Deutschland
host the annual "MediaWiki Developers Meetup" in Berlin. At that
event, the program
is focused on demonstrations, workshops and small group discussions. To
complement this, we're planning the DC meetup to be focused solely on hacking,
bugfixing and getting down and dirty with the code.

We're scheduling this for October 22nd-24th in Washington, DC. Some of
the details
haven't been ironed out yet, but will be announced over the coming
days as it is.
So clear your calendars, and keep your eyes on MediaWiki.org[1] and the mailing
lists for more information.

Some travel assistance may be available for those coming a long way. I've also
been told there will be swag of some sort for attendees :)

-Chad

[0] http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/09/hack-a-ton-dc/
[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hack-A-Ton_DC

Re: Attention MediaWiki Hackers! [ In reply to ]
On Sep 16, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> (sending to main tech lists, crossposted to Tech Blog[0], feel free
> to forward
> anywhere else you'd like)
>
> Greetings MediaWiki hackers!
>
> I am pleased to announce the upcoming MediaWiki Hack-A-Ton in
> Washington, DC.

Very awesome that no travel is required! I'm not a hardcore mediawiki
contributor but would like to be more involved, can work on mapping
and data capabilites, or on aspects of core code (If you want help
with something)

> As you are all aware, every year in April our good friends at
> Wikimedia Deutschland
> host the annual "MediaWiki Developers Meetup" in Berlin. At that
> event, the program
> is focused on demonstrations, workshops and small group discussions.
> complement this, we're planning the DC meetup to be focused solely
> on hacking,
> bugfixing and getting down and dirty with the code.
>
> We're scheduling this for October 22nd-24th in Washington, DC. Some of
> the details
> haven't been ironed out yet, but will be announced over the coming
> days as it is.
> So clear your calendars, and keep your eyes on MediaWiki.org[1] and
> the mailing

> lists for more information.

What help do you need from local DC wikipedians? Although we are not
yet a chapter, we could perhaps help with getting a venue (though
danese probably can handle it too) or other ways of helping organize.

> Some travel assistance may be available for those coming a long way.
> I've also
> been told there will be swag of some sort for attendees :)

Cool :)

@aude

Re: Attention MediaWiki Hackers! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Aude <aude.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very awesome that no travel is required!  I'm not a hardcore mediawiki
> contributor but would like to be more involved, can work on mapping
> and data capabilites, or on aspects of core code (If you want help
> with something)

Of course all developers are welcome! We're going to be tracking
bugs for that weekend using a new keyword in Bugzilla called
"bugsmash."

(That's also a general invitation for people to start targeting some
items for the Hack-A-Ton)

> What help do you need from local DC wikipedians?  Although we are not
> yet a chapter, we could perhaps help with getting a venue (though
> danese probably can handle it too) or other ways of helping organize.

I should've reached out to you guys a few weeks ago ;-) The venue
is almost settled--hopefully will have an information to share about
that this evening. I might need a hand the day before (I will be driving
up the 21st) to help me get things organized and ready for everyone's
arrival on the 22nd.

-Chad

Re: Attention MediaWiki Hackers! [ In reply to ]
Hi Aude,
> Very awesome that no travel is required!

Yes, we did that just for you ;-). Seriously...we were hoping to
attract some of the many "super-users" of MediaWiki in the greater DC area.
> What help do you need from local DC wikipedians? Although we are not
> yet a chapter, we could perhaps help with getting a venue (though
> danese probably can handle it too) or other ways of helping organize.

Well, we've spoken to our CrisisCommons pals about help seeking a venue
(after scrubbing out with some of our vendor friends), and we're hoping
to close on that issue this week or early next. We're currently looking
hard at Balfour Center and also hoping we'll get an offer from Sunlight
Foundation or NPR. Either way, we should be able to open a block of
hotel rooms shortly.
> Cool :)

Glad you think so :-). This is a "first year" version of the Hack A
Ton. I'm sure we'll learn a lot and hopefully schedule more of these
around the world.

Danese

Re: Attention MediaWiki Hackers! [ In reply to ]
On Sep 16, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Danese Cooper <dcooper@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Hi Aude,
>> Very awesome that no travel is required!
>>
> Yes, we did that just for you ;-). Seriously...we were hoping to
> attract some of the many "super-users" of MediaWiki in the greater
> DC area.

I can do any amount of outreach to the broader DC tech community or
ping particular folks.

We are also looking to do a DC Wikipedia meetup in October and think
there is a possibility of coodinating so it's the same weekend.

>> What help do you need from local DC wikipedians? Although we are not
>> yet a chapter, we could perhaps help with getting a venue (though
>> danese probably can handle it too) or other ways of helping organize.
>>

> Well, we've spoken to our CrisisCommons pals about help seeking a
> venue
> (after scrubbing out with some of our vendor friends), and we're
> hoping
> to close on that issue this week or early next. We're currently
> looking
> hard at Balfour Center and also hoping we'll get an offer from
> Sunlight
> Foundation or NPR. Either way, we should be able to open a block of
> hotel rooms shortly.

If you want me to ping folks at sunlight and/or NPR, let me know. NPR
& CrisisCommons are very supportive (understated) of CrisisWiki and
sure they would love to get some hacking to support it.

@aude

Re: Attention MediaWiki Hackers! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Chad <innocentkiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> (sending to main tech lists, crossposted to Tech Blog[0], feel free to forward
> anywhere else you'd like)
>
> Greetings MediaWiki hackers!
>
> I am pleased to announce the upcoming MediaWiki Hack-A-Ton in Washington, DC.
>
> As you are all aware, every year in April our good friends at
> Wikimedia Deutschland
> host the annual "MediaWiki Developers Meetup" in Berlin. At that
> event, the program
> is focused on demonstrations, workshops and small group discussions. To
> complement this, we're planning the DC meetup to be focused solely on hacking,
> bugfixing and getting down and dirty with the code.
>
> We're scheduling this for October 22nd-24th in Washington, DC. Some of
> the details
> haven't been ironed out yet, but will be announced over the coming
> days as it is.
> So clear your calendars, and keep your eyes on MediaWiki.org[1] and the mailing
> lists for more information.
>
> Some travel assistance may be available for those coming a long way. I've also
> been told there will be swag of some sort for attendees :)
>

> -Chad
>
> [0] http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/09/hack-a-ton-dc/
> [1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hack-A-Ton_DC

Re-sending as a second invitation to those who are interested
(and please feel free to pass it along to others). The page on
MediaWiki.org has been updated recently with additional
information.

The exact area of DC we will be in is called Tyson's Corner.
We're talking with two hotels right now, so we should have
an answer on which of the two we'll be staying at in the next
day I hope.

Also, a few people have asked me about getting funding for
travel expenses. So if you'd like to come and money is an
issue for you, please talk with Danese (danese@wikimedia.org)

Thanks, and I hope to see you all there!

-Chad