Mailing List Archive

Wikimedia Google Summer of Code Accepted!
Hi folks,

We've been accepted again for another Google Summer of Code! What this
means:

* Mentors: please go to this page to formally apply to be a mentor:
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/mentor/request/google/gsoc2010/wikimedia

Note: you can't officially be a mentor until you do this, and we can't do it
for you (part of it involves agreeing to the mentor agreement).

Question for the group: how many student slots do you think we should
request? On the "advice for mentors page", it says: "

A good rule of thumb when finding and assigning mentors is to have two
mentors per student. It is also a good idea to have a spare mentor or two
who can pay attention to many students and keep track of the big picture."

Given our current list of mentors (we have 9 listed, plus 1 "maybe"), that
would give us "4" as the number of slots. Does that seem like a number
that's both low enough that we can be reasonably confident we'll do a good
job mentoring, but high enough that we're not selling ourselves short?

* Students: it's still not yet formally time to apply, but now is a really
good time to start brainstorming ideas, and getting clarifications on what's
already been suggested:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2010

While you may be tempted (from a competitive perspective) not to reveal what
your ideas are early, it is almost certainly going to be to your benefit to
engage now. By "engage", I mean "demonstrate that you're really thinking
about how to improve MediaWiki and other Wikimedia project technologies, and
have the wherewithal to do it", not merely "impress us with what skills you
have". The more specific and thoughtful your ideas, questions, and
suggestions are, the more comfortable we'll all feel in selecting you.

You might want to take a peek at the GSoC student agreement now, since
you'll be required to agree to it as a precondition for being part of this
year's program:
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/studentagmt

Rob
Re: Wikimedia Google Summer of Code Accepted! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla@robla.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We've been accepted again for another Google Summer of Code!  What this
> means:
>
> *  Mentors:  please go to this page to formally apply to be a mentor:
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/mentor/request/google/gsoc2010/wikimedia
>
> Note: you can't officially be a mentor until you do this, and we can't do it
> for you (part of it involves agreeing to the mentor agreement).
>
> Question for the group: how many student slots do you think we should
> request? On the "advice for mentors page", it says: "
>
> A good rule of thumb when finding and assigning mentors is to have two
> mentors per student. It is also a good idea to have a spare mentor or two
> who can pay attention to many students and keep track of the big picture."
>

> Given our current list of mentors (we have 9 listed, plus 1 "maybe"), that
> would give us "4" as the number of slots.  Does that seem like a number
> that's both low enough that we can be reasonably confident we'll do a good
> job mentoring, but high enough that we're not selling ourselves short?
>
> *  Students: it's still not yet formally time to apply, but now is a really
> good time to start brainstorming ideas, and getting clarifications on what's
> already been suggested:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2010
>
> While you may be tempted (from a competitive perspective) not to reveal what
> your ideas are early, it is almost certainly going to be to your benefit to
> engage now.  By "engage", I mean "demonstrate that you're really thinking
> about how to improve MediaWiki and other Wikimedia project technologies, and
> have the wherewithal to do it", not merely "impress us with what skills you
> have".  The more specific and thoughtful your ideas, questions, and
> suggestions are, the more comfortable we'll all feel in selecting you.
>
> You might want to take a peek at the GSoC student agreement now, since
> you'll be required to agree to it as a precondition for being part of this
> year's program:
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/studentagmt
>
> Rob

+1. I can be a secondary mentor/general resource for students
to come to, I just hadn't put my name on the list.

-Chad

Re: Wikimedia Google Summer of Code Accepted! [ In reply to ]
W00t! So exciting!