http://codepad.org/cmQIjdzI

I suppose you can do that more easily than in ParserFunctions ...

- d.

Re: Someone was considering Lua? [ In reply to ]
David Gerard writes:
> http://codepad.org/cmQIjdzI
>
> I suppose you can do that more easily than in ParserFunctions ...
>

> - d.

That's... evil.

Re: Someone was considering Lua? [ In reply to ]
* David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> [Mon, 5 Oct 2009 19:16:08 +0100]:
> http://codepad.org/cmQIjdzI
>
> I suppose you can do that more easily than in ParserFunctions ...

Any language can be abused. The problem is opposite: when you need to
have clean, well-readable code, some languages offer better help.
Dmitriy

Re: Someone was considering Lua? [ In reply to ]
2009/10/6 Dmitriy Sintsov <questpc@rambler.ru>:
> * David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> [Mon, 5 Oct 2009 19:16:08 +0100]:

>> http://codepad.org/cmQIjdzI
>> I suppose you can do that more easily than in ParserFunctions ...

> Any language can be abused. The problem is opposite: when you need to
> have clean, well-readable code, some languages offer better help.

indeed ;-) Perhaps an International Unobfuscated ParserFunctions Context?

- d.

Re: Someone was considering Lua? [ In reply to ]
* David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> [Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:30:51 +0100]:
> 2009/10/6 Dmitriy Sintsov <questpc@rambler.ru>:
> indeed ;-) Perhaps an International Unobfuscated ParserFunctions
> Context?

I am not expert on this. The readability of templates can be improved:
if there were separate wikitext context and Parser interpreter context,
there would be no need to place additional double curly braces in source
code during every Parser function call, while wikitext would be
insterted in escaped (quoted) strings, something like this:
(imaginary code in NS_TEMPLATE)

{{#if: test string | value if true | value if false }}
{{#ifeq: string 1 | string 2 | value if true | value if false }}
{{#ifexpr: expression | value if true | value if false }}
<interpreter>
if('test string','value if true','value if false')
ifeq('string 1','string 2','value if true','value if false')
ifexpr('expression','value if true','value if false')
</interpreter>
escaping apostroph probably should be enough. Doesn't look much
different at the first sight, but imagine these nested.

where <interpreter> context syntax is different from wikitext syntax,
but because templates generate the wikitext, they can be presented
inside interpreter as escaped strings. And the default (wikitext)
context is compatible to the existing template syntax. The same
functionality in the interpreter context, but with better readability
for templates and worse readability for wikitext (which is a selectable
trade-off).
Just an idea, probably can be improved.
Dmitriy

Re: Someone was considering Lua? [ In reply to ]
* David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> [Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:30:51 +0100]:
> indeed ;-) Perhaps an International Unobfuscated ParserFunctions
> Context?

ah, just forgot to add: template parameters will be $1 in the
"interpreter
context", not a horrible {{{1}}} (keep it for the compatibility in
"wikitext context") .
Internally, the language is the same, only two different syntax
contexts.
Dmitriy

Re: Someone was considering Lua? [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:
> indeed ;-) Perhaps an International Unobfuscated ParserFunctions Context?
>
> - d.

There should be an alternative way to do:
{{!}}-
{{!}} Foo
|}}

Ie: If parameter foo exists, add it surrounded by a title and a table cell.
We would need an "outer {{{foo|}}}" syntax.