Mailing List Archive

Database error msg?
Hi,

My wiki is located at:
http://www.researchpipeline.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I just upgraded to mediawiki 1.15.0 from the previous version. When I try to
create a new page or click on "recent changes" I get the following error:

Database error

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the
software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "IndexPager::reallyDoQuery (LogPager)". MySQL returned
error "1146: Table 'lyndi1_wikidb.mw_tag_summary' doesn't exist
(localhost)".

I'm a relative newbie. What does this mean?

Thanks,

Lyndie

Re: Database error msg? [ In reply to ]
Lyndie Chiou wrote:
> Hi,
>

> My wiki is located at:
> http://www.researchpipeline.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
>
> I just upgraded to mediawiki 1.15.0 from the previous version. When I try to
> create a new page or click on "recent changes" I get the following error:
>

> Database error
>

> A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the
> software. The last attempted database query was:
>
> (SQL query hidden)
>
> from within function "IndexPager::reallyDoQuery (LogPager)". MySQL returned
> error "1146: Table 'lyndi1_wikidb.mw_tag_summary' doesn't exist
> (localhost)".
>

> I'm a relative newbie. What does this mean?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Lyndie

You need to run the upgrade scripts

For details see the page at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading

Re: Database error msg? [ In reply to ]
Thanks, but that's what I did - I upgraded to v. 1.15 by re-running the
installer. I got a message at the end that the upgrade had completed
successfully.

Or am I missing something?

Re: Database error msg? [ In reply to ]
You can't just re-run the installer anymore. As it says in the UPGRADE
file:

From the command line, browse to the "maintenance" directory and run
the
update.php script to check and update the schema. This will insert
missing
tables, update existing tables, and move data around as needed. In
most cases,
this is successful and nothing further needs to be done.

Michelle

Re: Database error msg? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Michelle <michelle.sg1@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can't just re-run the installer anymore. As it says in the UPGRADE
> file:
>
> From the command line, browse to the "maintenance" directory and run
> the
> update.php script to check and update the schema. This will insert
> missing
> tables, update existing tables, and move data around as needed. In
> most cases,
> this is successful and nothing further needs to be done.

I believe you are mistaken. The selection you're quoting has been in the
UPGRADE file since 1.6. Also in there:
"You can use the web-based installer wizard if you first remove the
LocalSettings.php (and AdminSettings.php, if any) files;[...]"
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Lyndie Chiou
<lyndie@researchpipeline.com>wrote:

> Thanks, but that's what I did - I upgraded to v. 1.15 by re-running the
> installer. I got a message at the end that the upgrade had completed
> successfully.
>
> Or am I missing something?

Do you happen to have the output from when you re-ran the installer?
Re: Database error msg? [ In reply to ]
After much finagling I ran the update script (I don't have command-line
access so I had to set up a cron job). My wiki works again! Thanks for the
tip - I guess I have to run the update script from now on instead of
re-installing.

Re: Database error msg? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Lyndie Chiou<lyndie@researchpipeline.com> wrote:

> After much finagling I ran the update script (I don't have command-line
> access so I had to set up a cron job). My wiki works again! Thanks for the
> tip - I guess I have to run the update script from now on instead of
> re-installing.
>
> Lyndie
You need to do both, the installer updates the files and the update
script corrects the database schema.
-Peachey

Re: Database error msg? [ In reply to ]
Ok, thanks!

Re: Database error msg? [ In reply to ]
Lyndie Chiou wrote:
> After much finagling I ran the update script (I don't have command-line
> access so I had to set up a cron job). My wiki works again! Thanks for the
> tip - I guess I have to run the update script from now on instead of
> re-installing.
>
> Lyndie

Updating is done by replacing the old files with the new ones (don't
remove uploaded files or extensions in the process) and running update.php

Rerunning the installer can usually substitute running update.php
though. Something failed in your case.