realised there were too many transcluded pages and this would take me
forever, which led me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Database_download#Downloading_templates
and it appears that quite a few other people are asking the same
question as me. One answer that's been given is to download pages-
articles.xml.bz2, however it's 4.1G and includes all Wikipedia
articles, and not just the templates.

Could someone advise?

Thank you, Dawson

Re: Downloading templates [ In reply to ]
Maybe you could write a script using the api?

-- Husky / Hay

Re: Downloading templates [ In reply to ]
Special:Export
There is a checkbox for exporting templates that are used in the pages
you select.

~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://nadir-seen-fire.com]
-Nadir-Point (http://nadir-point.com)
-Wiki-Tools (http://wiki-tools.com)
-Animepedia (http://anime.wikia.com)
-Narutopedia (http://naruto.wikia.com)
-Soul Eater Wiki (http://souleater.wikia.com)

Re: Downloading templates [ In reply to ]
Thank you Daniel, excellent!