Mailing List Archive

wiki "blame" functionality
I've been working on a project to provide an annotation facility for
wiki articles, sort of like the "blame" function of your favourite
source control system.

I've got a prototype of this with the first 1450 or so articles from
enwiki here: http://hewgill.com/~greg/wikiblame/

Moving your mouse over text highlights in yellow all the text that was
written in the same revision as whatever your mouse is pointing at.
Clicking on text brings up the corresponding revision diff on
Wikipedia.

I wrote a bit about how this works here:
http://ghewgill.livejournal.com/118086.html

I reckon it would take me something on the order of a couple of years
to run this through all enwiki articles on my own machine. Larger
articles take a few minutes to process, the largest articles (eg.
Anarchism) take an hour or more. I wonder whether there would be any
interest in making this function more generally available?

Greg Hewgill
[[User:Ghewgill]]
http://hewgill.com

Re: wiki "blame" functionality [ In reply to ]
2008/11/1 Greg Hewgill <greg@hewgill.com>:
> I've got a prototype of this with the first 1450 or so articles from
> enwiki here: http://hewgill.com/~greg/wikiblame/

I did something similar, with just a slightly different output (see
http://mormegil.info/wp/blame/AFC_Ajax.htm or
http://mormegil.info/wp/blame/AIM.htm). My version misses the feature
that clicking leads to the diff, but I have colourful highlighting
(and clicking into the author list highlights that author). ;-)

> Larger
> articles take a few minutes to process, the largest articles (eg.
> Anarchism) take an hour or more.

Do you have any "benchmark", like revisions/sec, or something?

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]