Mailing List Archive

Registration
Hi all,

Registration for Wikimania 2010 should be open very shortly. In the
meantime, however, anyone on this list with visa concerns should
e-mail me off-list so I can begin the process of getting you what you
need.

Regards,

Austin

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
Austin you rock!

2010/6/7 Austin Hair <adhair@gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> Registration for Wikimania 2010 should be open very shortly. In the
> meantime, however, anyone on this list with visa concerns should
> e-mail me off-list so I can begin the process of getting you what you
> need.
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>



--
Support the Wikimedia Foundation: http://donate.wikimedia.org
Registration [ In reply to ]
Hi guys,

I know the "matter of hours" in my last update turned into a matter of
days, but much to my dismay, the issue of payment still hasn't been
resolved.

While we're working on this, however, you can go ahead and register.
The public announcement will come in the next day or two, once we have
this sorted out; those of you who choose to register now will get an
e-mail at that time with instructions on how to pay.

The address is: https://wm10reg.wikimedia.org/

Sorry for the delay, folks. Things will hopefully go exponentially
more smoothly as we get caught up.

Austin

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
Usability issue with the form:

Why the entire form gets reset if one of the entry is missing/wrong? It is
really pain to type the entire content again and again. (For example, I
missed to select payment method, I end up in typing the entire content
again.)

I am not sure whether usability test is done for this site/web page.


Shiju

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Austin Hair <austin@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I know the "matter of hours" in my last update turned into a matter of
> days, but much to my dismay, the issue of payment still hasn't been
> resolved.
>
> While we're working on this, however, you can go ahead and register.
> The public announcement will come in the next day or two, once we have
> this sorted out; those of you who choose to register now will get an
> e-mail at that time with instructions on how to pay.
>
> The address is: https://wm10reg.wikimedia.org/
>
> Sorry for the delay, folks. Things will hopefully go exponentially
> more smoothly as we get caught up.
>
> Austin
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
| -----Original Message-----
| From: wikimania-l-bounces@lists.wikimedia.org [mailto:wikimania-l-
| bounces@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Austin Hair
| Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:34 AM
/
| ... you can go ahead and register.
/
| The address is: https://wm10reg.wikimedia.org/

Austin, so great news.

I suggest adding a clarification after the "Sex/gender" field:

"No indication of sex in this field probably can cause problems for the
consideration of visa application"

Janusz "Ency" Dorozynski, visa support team


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Dorozynski Janusz
<dorozynskij@wampnm.webd.pl> > I suggest adding a clarification after
the "Sex/gender" field:
>
> "No indication of sex in this field probably can cause problems for the
> consideration of visa application"

That's a great point, and we've had to follow up with a lot of
applicants in previous years because they initially declined to state.
Not everyone will need a visa, though.

I think it's best to add this to the visa section, with a few other
general notes on the application process and a link to the visa
page—just one paragraph or so. Is there anything in particular that
you'd like to see added, otherwise?

Austin

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Shiju Alex <shijualexonline@gmail.com> wrote:
> Usability issue with the form:
>
> Why the entire form gets reset if one of the entry is missing/wrong? It is
> really pain to  type the entire content again and again. (For example, I
> missed to select payment method, I end up in typing the entire content
> again.)

Good point—this was overlooked because some browsers (namely, mine)
automatically repopulate those fields even if the page doesn't. I've
added this functionality and am testing now to make sure it works
before I update the live site.

> I am not sure whether usability test is done for this site/web page.

A proper usability study, like the one done for Wikipedia, would take
more time and resources than were used to create the site in the first
place. It basically falls to the best judgment of the designers
(okay, me), with the advice of others involved in organizing this
conference, experienced Wikimanians I asked for advice and testing,
and people like you who notice things nobody else did before we put it
online.

Thanks for pointing this out, and if anyone else has any suggestions
or criticism, please feel to send them to me either on-list or
off-list.

Austin

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
On 15 June 2010 00:33, Austin Hair <austin@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I know the "matter of hours" in my last update turned into a matter of
> days, but much to my dismay, the issue of payment still hasn't been
> resolved.
>
> While we're working on this, however, you can go ahead and register.
> The public announcement will come in the next day or two, once we have
> this sorted out; those of you who choose to register now will get an
> e-mail at that time with instructions on how to pay.
>
> The address is: https://wm10reg.wikimedia.org/
>
> Sorry for the delay, folks.  Things will hopefully go exponentially
> more smoothly as we get caught up.

Austin,

You rock. I've added a link to the front page of the wiki:

http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

J.
--
James D. Forrester
jdforrester@wikimedia.org | jdforrester@gmail.com
[[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
Congratulations on starting registration!

I find that the accommodation information is lacking (what hotels are on
offer?), and the pricing is not attractive compared to the fair market value
- I found myself a modern and well-equipped room in a recommended 4-star
hotel within short walking distance for a much better price than EUR 100 a
night.
Can someone relate to that?


Harel



On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:59 PM, James Forrester <james@jdforrester.org>wrote:

> On 15 June 2010 00:33, Austin Hair <austin@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I know the "matter of hours" in my last update turned into a matter of
> > days, but much to my dismay, the issue of payment still hasn't been
> > resolved.
> >
> > While we're working on this, however, you can go ahead and register.
> > The public announcement will come in the next day or two, once we have
> > this sorted out; those of you who choose to register now will get an
> > e-mail at that time with instructions on how to pay.
> >
> > The address is: https://wm10reg.wikimedia.org/
> >
> > Sorry for the delay, folks. Things will hopefully go exponentially
> > more smoothly as we get caught up.
>
> Austin,
>
> You rock. I've added a link to the front page of the wiki:
>
> http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> J.
> --
> James D. Forrester
> jdforrester@wikimedia.org | jdforrester@gmail.com
> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>



--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Harel Cain <harel.cain@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations on starting registration!
>
> I find that the accommodation information is lacking (what hotels are on
> offer?), and the pricing is not attractive compared to the fair market value
> - I found myself a modern and well-equipped room in a recommended 4-star
> hotel within short walking distance for a much better price than EUR 100 a
> night.
> Can someone relate to that?

I wish I could provide more details about the specific hotels offered
on the registration form, and that's coming within the week, but for
the time being the prices stated are based on several different
arrangements with various hotels and dormitories nearby. All of these
are in the center of the old town (thus the price) and within a
15-minute walk of the venue.

I have a conference call about this and other matters in a few hours,
and just over 24 hours from now I'll be on a train to Gdańsk in order
to get a better handle on this. I'll have more information for
everyone as soon as I can.

Thanks for your continued patience; we're all working very hard to
make this happen.

Austin

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
| -----Original Message-----
| From: wikimania-l-bounces@lists.wikimedia.org [mailto:wikimania-l-
| bounces@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Austin Hair
| Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:30 PM
/
| I think it's best to add this to the visa section, with a few other
| general notes on the application process and a link to the visa
| page—just one paragraph or so. Is there anything in particular that
| you'd like to see added, otherwise?

It's ok. I don't have other needs :-)) .

Janusz "Ency" Dorożyński


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
I just want to say thank you to everyone who has been working on the
Registration. I know there are still a few minor issues but those
things set aside it is really good to see that things are moving, and
I am excited for the conference.

Thank you all for your work and dedication.

James

James Owen
Executive Assistant
Wikimedia Foundation
Office +1.415.839.6885 x 604
Mobile +1.415.509.5444
Fax +1.415.882.0495
Email- jowen@wikimedia.org
Website- www.wikimediafoundation.org



On Jun 15, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Dorożyński Janusz wrote:

> | -----Original Message-----
> | From: wikimania-l-bounces@lists.wikimedia.org [mailto:wikimania-l-
> | bounces@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Austin Hair
> | Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:30 PM
> /
> | I think it's best to add this to the visa section, with a few other
> | general notes on the application process and a link to the visa
> | page—just one paragraph or so. Is there anything in particular
> that
> | you'd like to see added, otherwise?
>
> It's ok. I don't have other needs :-)) .
>
> Janusz "Ency" Dorożyński
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
I second that thanks!
(one of the issues being that if you make a mistake in one field, it blanks
out all the fields and makes you write it again. Good reason to get it right
the first time.)

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata


On 15 June 2010 15:40, James Owen <jowen@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I just want to say thank you to everyone who has been working on the
> Registration. I know there are still a few minor issues but those things
> set aside it is really good to see that things are moving, and I am excited
> for the conference.
>
> Thank you all for your work and dedication.
>
> James
>
> *
> James Owen
> Executive Assistant
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Office +1.415.839.6885 x 604
> Mobile +1.415.509.5444
> Fax +1.415.882.0495
> Email- jowen@wikimedia.org
> Website- www.wikimediafoundation.org
>
>
>
> *
> On Jun 15, 2010, at 7:06 AM, Dorożyński Janusz wrote:
>
> | -----Original Message-----
> | From: wikimania-l-bounces@lists.wikimedia.org [mailto:wikimania-l-<wikimania-l->
> | bounces@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Austin Hair
> | Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:30 PM
> /
> | I think it's best to add this to the visa section, with a few other
> | general notes on the application process and a link to the visa
> | page—just one paragraph or so. Is there anything in particular that
> | you'd like to see added, otherwise?
>
> It's ok. I don't have other needs :-)) .
>
> Janusz "Ency" Dorożyński
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
>
> *
>
> *
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
>
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
Hey Austin,

I haven't received the invitation letter yet. My scholarship number is 5905

I might miss the visa.
Kindly help me asap

Regards
Piyush

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Austin Hair <adhair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Registration for Wikimania 2010 should be open very shortly. In the
> meantime, however, anyone on this list with visa concerns should
> e-mail me off-list so I can begin the process of getting you what you
> need.
>
> Regards,
>
> Austin
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>



--
Piyush Singh
B.Tech and M.Tech
Mathematics
IIT Delhi
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
Hi,

A few questions about payment:

1) Is the accommodation fee included in the registration fee of €40? If not,
how much will the 'default' accommodation cost? (I realise there are several
accommodation venues, but in the past Wikimania has arranged a cheap option
'for the masses', which would be the option I'm interested in).

2) Would it be possible to send an invoice for registration/accommodation
fees to my university so that they could cover my costs directly (as opposed
to me paying and then claiming back)? If so, who could/would do this? (WMF?
WM Poland?)

3) Also, I registered through the online form Austin linked to on that day,
but haven't yet received payment options. Is this still being worked out, or
did I miss something?

Thanks,
Cormac
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> A few questions about payment:
> 1) Is the accommodation fee included in the registration fee of €40?

No.

> If not,
> how much will the 'default' accommodation cost? (I realise there are several
> accommodation venues, but in the past Wikimania has arranged a cheap option
> 'for the masses', which would be the option I'm interested in).

You could find the answer to this question at the registration page,
even if you already registered.
See: https://wm10reg.wikimedia.org/

> 3) Also, I registered through the online form Austin linked to on that day,
> but haven't yet received payment options. Is this still being worked out, or
> did I miss something?

Me, neither.

--OTA Takashi [[U:Takot]]

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
On 22 June 2010 11:59, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> A few questions about payment:
> 1) Is the accommodation fee included in the registration fee of €40? If not,
> how much will the 'default' accommodation cost? (I realise there are several
> accommodation venues, but in the past Wikimania has arranged a cheap option
> 'for the masses', which would be the option I'm interested in).

There is a drop down list on the registration form where you can
choose what type of accommodation you want. The options have the
prices next to them. If memory serves, the cheapest option (a bed in a
dormitory) is €20/night.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
On 22 June 2010 17:05, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 June 2010 11:59, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > A few questions about payment:
> > 1) Is the accommodation fee included in the registration fee of €40? If
> not,
> > how much will the 'default' accommodation cost? (I realise there are
> several
> > accommodation venues, but in the past Wikimania has arranged a cheap
> option
> > 'for the masses', which would be the option I'm interested in).
>
> There is a drop down list on the registration form where you can
> choose what type of accommodation you want. The options have the
> prices next to them. If memory serves, the cheapest option (a bed in a
> dormitory) is €20/night.


Ah yes, thanks Thomas, so there is. :-) In which case, I'd really appreciate
a timely response to my other questions - my attendance may depend upon
getting an invoice to my university.

Cormac
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
> Ah yes, thanks Thomas, so there is. :-) In which case, I'd really
> appreciate a timely response to my other questions - my attendance may
> depend upon getting an invoice to my university.

Responding to this particular issue - yes, it is possible, I need to know
the institution name and address as well as any additional infomation
that should be on the invoice (like purchase order number or whatever
your sponsor may require).

--
Marcin Cieslak
Wikimania 2010 Gdansk ++ http://www.wikimania2010.pl/

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
Hey Cormac,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you—some of these questions
were contingent on the results of a meeting I had this afternoon
(CET).

Accommodation costs are separate, and currently the least expensive
option is €20/night. The bright side is that many of these will be
nicer than we were expecting, and sometimes even have just two beds to
a room. (The rest will probably have three, so it's not as if
anyone's bunking with seven other guys in a barracks.)

We're working on bringing the price down for accommodation for the
"luxury" rooms in hotels, as well. Those of you who made your choice
based on price, don't worry—you'll have an option to change your
decision before you pay.

Unfortunately, we really can't make a policy of invoicing employers
and educational institutions directly.

And yes, payment is still being finalized. Meanwhile, your places are
being reserved, and anyone who registers now will be able to attend.

If anyone else has any questions, as always, please feel free to
e-mail me either on- or off-list.

Austin


On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> A few questions about payment:
> 1) Is the accommodation fee included in the registration fee of €40? If not,
> how much will the 'default' accommodation cost? (I realise there are several
> accommodation venues, but in the past Wikimania has arranged a cheap option
> 'for the masses', which would be the option I'm interested in).
> 2) Would it be possible to send an invoice for registration/accommodation
> fees to my university so that they could cover my costs directly (as opposed
> to me paying and then claiming back)? If so, who could/would do this? (WMF?
> WM Poland?)
> 3) Also, I registered through the online form Austin linked to on that day,
> but haven't yet received payment options. Is this still being worked out, or
> did I miss something?
> Thanks,
> Cormac
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
>

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
Hi all:

I need an invitation letter for my school.
How can I get the letter from Wikimedia Poland?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2010, at 1:29, Austin Hair <austin@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hey Cormac,
>
> I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you—some of these questions
> were contingent on the results of a meeting I had this afternoon
> (CET).
>
> Accommodation costs are separate, and currently the least expensive
> option is €20/night. The bright side is that many of these will be
> nicer than we were expecting, and sometimes even have just two beds to
> a room. (The rest will probably have three, so it's not as if
> anyone's bunking with seven other guys in a barracks.)
>
> We're working on bringing the price down for accommodation for the
> "luxury" rooms in hotels, as well. Those of you who made your choice
> based on price, don't worry—you'll have an option to change your
> decision before you pay.
>
> Unfortunately, we really can't make a policy of invoicing employers
> and educational institutions directly.
>
> And yes, payment is still being finalized. Meanwhile, your places are
> being reserved, and anyone who registers now will be able to attend.
>
> If anyone else has any questions, as always, please feel free to
> e-mail me either on- or off-list.
>
> Austin
>
>
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> A few questions about payment:
>> 1) Is the accommodation fee included in the registration fee of €40? If not,
>> how much will the 'default' accommodation cost? (I realise there are several
>> accommodation venues, but in the past Wikimania has arranged a cheap option
>> 'for the masses', which would be the option I'm interested in).
>> 2) Would it be possible to send an invoice for registration/accommodation
>> fees to my university so that they could cover my costs directly (as opposed
>> to me paying and then claiming back)? If so, who could/would do this? (WMF?
>> WM Poland?)
>> 3) Also, I registered through the online form Austin linked to on that day,
>> but haven't yet received payment options. Is this still being worked out, or
>> did I miss something?
>> Thanks,
>> Cormac
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimania-l mailing list
>> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
| -----Original Message-----
| From: wikimania-l-bounces@lists.wikimedia.org [mailto:wikimania-l-
| bounces@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Morgan Chan
| Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 1:04 PM
/
| Hi all:
|
| I need an invitation letter for my school.
| How can I get the letter from Wikimedia Poland?

Hi, please send us a proposal for the text of the invitation.

Reg., Janusz "Ency" Dorożyński



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Re: Registration [ In reply to ]
Shading in orange just means we want to highlight it.

You can pick up your badge anytime that day.

James

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Claire <claireleah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have not yet registered - and probably won't be there before 11:00
> tomorrow (last minute client stuff now) - can I still pick up my badge that
> late?
>
> Also - I the first breakout session I'd like to attend is "tech@state" -
> but, on the schedule it's shaded in orange. Is this significant?
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
Wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l