requirement when people are creating accounts?

I took a look at SpecialUserlogin.php and templates/Userlogin.php but, I
couldn't figure it out (my PHP is not strong)
Re: Require real name? [ In reply to ]
K> How can I make the "Real Name"

All I know is I do
$wgEnableEmail=$wgEnableUserEmail=$wgAllowRealName=false;
to protect users _against_ leaving their real names and addresses in
my politically sensitive http://radioscanningtw.jidanni.org/ ,
assuming that it might be tapped/eavesdropped/confiscated by the
authorities one day.

Re: Require real name? [ In reply to ]
On 09/07/07, jidanni@jidanni.org <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

> K> How can I make the "Real Name"
>
> All I know is I do
> $wgEnableEmail=$wgEnableUserEmail=$wgAllowRealName=false;
> to protect users _against_ leaving their real names and addresses in
> my politically sensitive http://radioscanningtw.jidanni.org/ ,
> assuming that it might be tapped/eavesdropped/confiscated by the
> authorities one day.

Great, waste his time by posting the complete anti-solution to his question?

With respect *to the question*, it's not possible out of the box,
although you could fairly easily hack the code so that form submission
required entry of a real name. This isn't necessarily something we'd
want in core, however.

Rob Church

Re: Require real name? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Rob, that's what I figured and I agree that in the core we wouldn't
want it set by default but, wouldn't you agree it would be nice to have it
as a flag?

In any case, were would I make the change to make it a requirement?

Re: Require real name? [ In reply to ]
I would look at SpecialUserLogin.php in the includes directory.

I am on 1.10.0 so take these line number references as needed ..

In SpecialUserLogin.php around line 201 is a function
addNewAccountInternal(). After the global statements the first bit
looks to be sure that the 'domain' in the email is good. If not it
kicks it out.

So as a test I added this

##DSIG
if( $this->mDomain == '' ) {
$this->mainLoginForm( wfMsg( 'wrongpassword' ) );
return false;
}

Which is basically the same code except that I am looking at the domain
and seeing if it is empty. This forces the process to kick out a null
email (no domain no valid email).

You could do the same thing with name and other fields as required.

Note: If you make these changes you will also need to remove the text at
the bottom of the create form that says these fields are not required.

This could be made as an extension so that a switch in the localsettings
would enable/disable this feature.

Hope this helps

DSig
David Tod Sigafoos | SANMAR Corporation
PICK Guy
206-770-5585
davesigafoos@sanmar.com

Re: Require real name? [ In reply to ]
Thanks, that was it

I added this snippet:
if( $this->mRealName == '' ) {
$this->mainLoginForm( wfMsg( 'wrongrealname' ) );
return false;
}

I also created the message "wrongrealname" to provide the right error
message

Re: Require real name? [ In reply to ]
Glad it worked for you