Mailing List Archive

why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki?
Hi, when I try to use

----------
{{ {{{|safesubst:}}}ifsubst |<includeonly>{{subst:Unsubst|Citation needed|
name|{{{name|¬}}}|reason|{{{reason|¬}}}|
date|{{{date|{{subst:CURRENTMONTHNAME}} {{subst:CURRENTYEAR}}}}}
}}</includeonly>|
{{Fix
|name={{{name|Citation needed}}}
|link=Wikipedia:Citation needed
|text=citation needed
|class=Template-Fact
|title=This claim needs references to reliable sources
|date={{{date|}}}
|cat=[[Category:All articles with unsourced statements]]
|cat-date=Category:Articles with unsourced statements
}}

}}
-----------

which is copied directly from wikipedia, and which works perfectly in my
wikipedia sandbox, all I get at my own wiki is (in red):

Template:Ifsubst<http://www.phaust.dk/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Ifsubst&action=edit&redlink=1>

We are using Mediawiki 1.17.0, if that makes any difference. I've tried
searching for various things on the mediawiki-wiki, but it all seems to be
standard commands?

I hope some one can clear it up :)

Kaare
Re: why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki? [ In reply to ]
Because you also need to copy to your wiki all the templates that this
template uses. You can see a list of them under the editing window.

This is one of the most unfortunate limitations of MediaWiki - the
templates are very powerful, but very hard to maintain and to migrate
from wiki to wiki.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki? [ In reply to ]
On 07/05/12 17:09, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> Because you also need to copy to your wiki all the templates that this
> template uses. You can see a list of them under the editing window.

You can go to Special:Export, provide the template(s) you wish to
export, and tick 'Include templates' to transitively download them.

Re: why can't I copy-paste the "Template:Citation Needed" onto my own wiki? [ In reply to ]
This is one of the most unfortunate limitations of MediaWiki - the

> templates are very powerful, but very hard to maintain and to migrate
> from wiki to wiki.

Agreed. Can we have an extension that manages all templates?
It could be like a library of templates, only now they can be easily
imported to other wikis.

--
With Regards

Nischay Nahata