Mailing List Archive

online Git/Gerrit tutorial by saper on 8 May
Volunteer Marcin Cieslak (saper) is doing the great service of leading a
Git and Gerrit tutorial on May 8th 19:00 UTC. It will be 1-1.5 hours.

If you intend to come, please fill out this poll so saper knows how many
people are coming and what they already know.

http://doodle.com/qnrgibpqxyamqhzb

Time conversion:
http://doodle.com/r?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftimeanddate.com%2Fworldclock%2Ffixedtime.html%3Fmsg%3DHardcode%2BGit%252BGerrit%2BWorkshop%26iso%3D20120508T19%26ah%3D1%26am%3D30

To participate, you'll need to:

* get developer access for Git/Gerrit/Wikimedia Labs
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_access
* install a SIP client ("Blink and CSipSimple for Android are
recommended and tested (with HD audio); I'll provide SIP dial-in")
* install vncviewer
* ensure you can ssh from a terminal

Marcin will cover:

Basics:

setting up Git
submitting a patch
commenting on a patch in Gerrit
merging a patch in Gerrit
enough Git internals not to get lost

Branching:

local branch, making, working & pushing
remote branch & git-review to that remote branch

Troubleshooting:

cherrypick changes between branches
amending (rebase vs multiple commit)
squashing work from a branch into a commit and pushing it
resolve merge conflicts

Thanks, Marcin!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: online Git/Gerrit tutorial by saper on 8 May [ In reply to ]
Sumana Harihareswara Thu, 03 May 2012 11:49:11 -0400
> To participate, you'll need to:

> * get developer access for Git/Gerrit/Wikimedia Labs
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_access
> * install a SIP client ("Blink and CSipSimple for Android are
> recommended and tested (with HD audio); I'll provide SIP dial-in")
> * install vncviewer
> * ensure you can ssh from a terminal

I've got all that setup, but I'll be running behind a firewall.
Is there some way to test connection before the vmeeting?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

Re: online Git/Gerrit tutorial by saper on 8 May [ In reply to ]
Tom - if you just want to test your sip - you may find this useful:
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/FAQ#How_can_I_test_if_it_is_working.3F

Make sure you RSVP as well:
http://doodle.com/qnrgibpqxyamqhzb

I suspect saper will get the sip dial-in info out to folks before the show begins so you can hopefully double check things then.

-greg aka varnent