category page, but I notice that I do not get an email alert when there is a
new addition to the category.

Derrick
Re: Email alerts to new pages in a category? [ In reply to ]
I don't think you can get alerts when articles are added/removed from a category. But you can do similar things.

Option 1: Use Dynamic Page List (http://semeb.com/dpldemo/DPL:Manual) to produce a report of pages in a category, sorted by the date they were added, and view that page on demand:

<dpl>
category = ...name of category here...
addfirstcategorydate = true
ordermethod = categoryadd
order = descending
</dpl>

Option 2: View the "related changes" page (Special:Recentchangeslinked) for a category as needed. It lists category additions, but not deletions. You can receive this by RSS.

DanB